Author Topic: Hey Guys, I have a new "Best Friend" OFF TOPIC  (Read 6056 times)

Ace

Hey Guys, I have a new "Best Friend" OFF TOPIC
« on: August 26, 2006, 07:03:06 PM »
Well I made the trip to Warner Robbins Ga. in record time this morning. I planned on being there around 2pm but I arrived at 12:30. Could have been the lack of traffic or it could have been the anticipation! I won't say! I will say I only used 1/2 tank of gas which is not too bad for a work van!

I was greeted by a young lady officer of the dog pound an d she immediatly knew what dog I was there to check out. She had me wait in a small room as she went to get him. From the sounds coming from the hall, HE doesn't like to walk with a leash as she was having a bit of a problem. Finally getting to "THE ROOM" I was waiting in, he came alive! As I knelt down to greet him, he climbed me like a tree and that was it! Done Deal! Sign the papers and said the goodbyes and away we went! Now he isn't exactly a pretty dog or even a good looking dog unless you look at him as more thanjust a dog! In fact at times I look at him and wonder, "where is the farm" becaused he looks just like a regular ole' farm dog. Nothing special! Anyway, I like him and I think he'll come around in time! How old is he was one of my first questions? They GUESSED at about 5-9 months old! Ok, not too bad I think so to the van we ATTEMPT to go. Dog say's, "Ain't happening on a leash"! So I pick him up and carry him to the front seat that now has a blanket spread out over it and the cooler between the seats to give him ample room to stretch out and maybe be a little close to the driver so we can become aquanted during our 2-3 hour trip to Montgomery. This idea was ok as he had his head in my lap until...stop and go  traffic was causing the blanket to slide around with him on it. Not good! So he was PUT on the passenger seat with the blanket and the arm rest down. Somehow he knew not to cross the arm rest and that is where he rode calmly UNTIL... the dreaded car sickness! YUCK! They must have just fed him before I picked him up! Ok I'm driving in traffic trying to keep him and his VERY BIG feet out of morning twice eaten food that is now on the blanketuntil I can find a safe spot to pull over to clean house.! TRY THIS! It isn't fun! All cleaned up and back on the road and I notice a lot of drool! I mean A LOT! I now packing paper towels what appeared to be by the roll, under his chin. YUCK! That's nasty but no as much as the other! All is well and he goes to sleep UNTIL... I see him suddenly stand up and breathing kind of hard. Yep you guessed it. YUCK again only MORE! I find another spot to pull over to clean house. This dog can't have any more in him to give back, so I think! TWO more times before we reach Al., then I notice he's up but kind looking at me and out the window, me and out the window. Is he thinking of jumping out of a 80 mph van? Nah, I figured he had to pee so I find a spot to walk him. Remember, he doesn't do well on a leash so I, well, yea, had to carry him until he or actually me, found just the right spot to pee! Deal done and back on the road. 12 miles left before we get a room! I check in and finally got some rest! He sleeps real well on the floor and doesn't even want to get on the bed which is a good thing! One thing he does like to do and that is POUNCE! Pounce on bugs in the road, pounce on food that HE spilled from his bowl, Heck he pounced on the bowl to spill the food! He has a lot of energy tonight and I think as time goes on he will adjust! One of us will have to anyway!
It's raining like crazy outside right now and let's hope he doesn't WANT to go out NOW! I'm off to bed and he is too, on the floor! :)

Oh and does he ever need a bath! Whewee!
Ace

Offline Happycampersrus

Re: Hey Guys, I have a new "Best Friend" OFF TOPIC
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »
Ace,

That's the stuff that builds a great friendship. :) Sounds like you got a good one and judging by the way he came to you, he likes you alot. I remember the day I got my Jack Russell that was almost 9 yrs ago and a couple grand in vet bills. LOL.

Dale

Offline Devin & Amy

• FMCA#377731
  • 1980 MC9 8v71 4spd man. Fulltiming family of 6
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 07:40:06 PM »
Ace,

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I Wish I could see the shine in your eyes!

Glad you have gotten another friend.
I may have to think about moving on, as well.
Devin
Devin, Amy, and the kids!!
Happily Bussin'!!

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 08:35:25 AM »
Ace,

Congratulations.....

Sounds like a good "remember when story" but your living it now....Ha!..... ;D

You may have alreaday thought of this, but I would get a tag on him ASAP with your name and number.

Hes old enough to get lost quickly on a sprint....

If your coming back down SR471, stop by for a minute and say hi....

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 10:08:05 AM »
Congratulations!!   Let us know what name you decide on.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 10:16:39 AM »
Hey Ace,

Glad to hear the 2 of you are getting along fine! I think the farm is in Orlando! (isn't that the location where Susan and you live ? You know the "Funny Farm" LOL) Oh and in case you hadn't decided yot on names. How about Pouncer (obvious reason) or even Pounder (cross for where he's from and his love of pouncing! & a sic deviation of the S&S "Bounder!" LOL!) Good Luck & Best Wishes! BK ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Ace

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 01:58:33 PM »
WE just got home from Montgomery, Al. I was at the racetrack all day yesterday with my new pup and he was fantanstic all day. Not a problem what so ever! It was very hot out and I had to hose him off about 4 times which he liked AFTERWARDS but NOT during! He'll have to get used to that hose! He likes puppy chow and Ice cubes the best not to mention, Mc'Ds hash browns. Kind of watched what he ate due to the tricks he pulled when we first rode together but after checking in the room the first night , he seemed fine! In fact he slept, well, like the baby he is! He only woofed a couple of times during the night when the two tramps in the next room were partying. That stopped after I called the front desk as they were asked to leave! Boy did we sleep then! I woke up and got dresseed and he stayed asleep. I HAD to wake him up! The short trip from Ga. to Al. must have been trying! Anyway, I was a little worried about the 8 hour trip home but all went very well. He slept just about the whole way except for when I stopped to wake him, walk him, and water him. HMM, WWW. Oh well, he rode good with no yuck attacks and were now home. What'
s he doing? Sleeping of course on the cool kitchen tile!

Susan will be home in a while from work and hope all goes well then! ???

Cliff sorry I didn't get a chance to read your post before I came thru or I would have stopped by. I came over the long bridge on I-75 and took the next exit there by the truck stop. Went to the convenient store at the end of the road and filled up (cheaper gas) and went over to 471 to go home. I probably went right past your home. I was looking for a bus like yours but all I saw was Turners leased coaches as usuall in the lot on the right side going south! As for dog gettting away on a sprint? That's funny! He couldn't out run a slow breeze! LOL

BK I actually live in Lakeland which is between Orlando and Tampa. I don't live on a farm though at times it could be a funny farm! A small home with a yard big enough for a sleepy dog and driveway large enough for the bus! :)

Devin, yea the shine is there ok! Like I said, as soon as he greeted me with those LARGE front paws, it was a done deal! To give you an idea of his paws? Think of catchers mitts! Yea that should give you an idea! Catchers Mitts!

Jack, no name yet but everything my friends and I have called him has been Bud as in Here Bud, you doing ok Bud, That feel good Bud, etc., so I don't know if it's Bud or something else as of now! Time will tell! Heck it may turn out top be SLEEPY if he don't wake up soon! :)

Thanks again everyone!

Ace

Dallas

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 03:00:52 PM »
Ace,
I'm really SUPER GLAD you found a new friend.
Don't worry about the sleeping, the little fella has been overstressed for how long?
when we had Ralphy, ( our Big white cat) come live with us we thought he had narcolepsy. He would walk 3 feet then just fall over and flop on his side, sound asleep for 2 or 3 hours.
He eventually got over it and is now a normal, BIG 15 pound kitty boy that is spoiled rotten.
I think what happened was that he had had such a rough life before he adopted us, (broken hip from a kick, broken nose from who knows what), terrorized by dogs, (he will not tolerate a dog and killed a 30 or 40 Lb German shepard the day we got him). Lived in a shelter a few times when he wasn't responsive to the new owners, (He's deaf as a post-- I've fired my 10MM right beside him and he doesn't budge).
It took about 2 or 3 months of love and spoiling to bring him around. Now, he sleeps wrapped around my wifes head and has to get up with me at 2 or 3AM to make sure I'm OK. I know many times that I'm gonna have a medical problem because he won't let me alone. He meows, whines and snuggles tight. Actually, he doesn't meow, ... he never learned... He says, Ralllllpppphhhhhh! Hence the name.
All in all, he will become part of you, heart of your heart, and a trusted friend. He will make a place in your heart and you will make a place in his.
He isn't taking the place of the old pup, he's making a new place for himself.
Now it's up to you to make a place for him.

Sorry to wax female, or sensetive, but our pets are aneeded part of our lives and if it wasn't for people like you, he wouldn't even be a memory now. He'd be smouldering along with a pile of other unwanted animals.

Dallas
(Not a dog Lover, but a stray animal protector)
(I wish I could do more)!

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2006, 08:30:23 PM »
Ace - funny ..... didn't Susan tell a similar story about the first time she brought you home  ? - LOL

Seriously - can't wait to meet whatshisname
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline JackConrad

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 05:27:36 AM »
Ace,
  If you get a chance, why don't you & Susan and the new puppy swing by Sertoma this coming weekend.  We will be in our usual spot next to Dorothy & Earl.  Jack

Ace

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 12:05:42 PM »
Jack unfortunately Susan has to work all weekend but I may just drop by for a visit! Is there anything special going on? What is the cost to get in for a few hours, if that? I'm not sure Earl and Dorothy want me around anyway so maybe it's best I stay away! I haven't heard anything from them and I have left numerous messages even as far back as last bussin'.  Susan and I just kind of took a hint and stopped calling altogether. We have even stopped dropping by on Sundays to just sit in their swing and chit chat! I dunno! Just figured they were trying to tell us something!

Later...

Ace

Offline JackConrad

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2006, 12:39:07 PM »
Not sure about the cost at Sertoma.  Sertoma is about the only time we see or talk to Dorothy & Earl.  Don't know much else about what is going on with them. I do know the 3 Sertoma festivals and a summer trip in June are about the only times they use their bus.   Jack

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 07:48:45 AM »
We look forward to seeing your new loyal friend in Timmonsville.  Let us all know his name when you decide.
Gary
Gary

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal