Author Topic: skinner valve  (Read 6905 times)

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
skinner valve
« on: August 29, 2006, 07:27:40 PM »
My skinner valve won't work and I can't get the bus started.  I drained the air and it still won't start.  Is the valve closed with pressure on the fuel shutoff?  How does it work?  I've never worked on this before and am learning as I go.  Also, the high idle valve looks the same.  If a guy was stranded, could he swap valves and get on down the road if needed?

David

Offline Beatenbo

• 1993 MCI 102 C3 Cat Power
    • The Beatenbos
Re: skinner valve
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 09:23:06 PM »
The skinner valve is electric over air. The electric part allows air to flow to air solenoid that pushes throttle closed when you shut down. The same thing happens to push your thrpttle to high idle. If you are ever stranded you can remove the air line from the the air solenoid and that engine will not shut down til you manually push the throttle closed. This will also get you off the road if you have an emergency shutdown such as overheat or an electrical short in your shutdown system.I wouldn't recomend this in an oil pressure related problem. My last bus shut down one time due to a naked wire on my shutterstat. I knew it wasn't overheated and I drove to my destinaton and found the problem.

Offline Stan

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 05:26:21 AM »
You don't say what make and model you have but the Skinner valve is not preventing you from starting if there is no air pressure.

The High Idle Skinner should be a normal closed valve and the Shutdown Skinner should be a norrmal open valve (not interchangeable).

When you turn off the master switch, it should switch off power to the shutdown Skinner which allows air to pass to the shutdown cylinder, shutting down the governor.

If you have no air pressure on the bus, it will not shut down or prevent starting unless the shutdown cylinder is stuck in the extended position.

Offline Chris 85 RTS

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 07:43:09 AM »
If you have the same setup as my DD 6V92TA, you will have three parts to this system.  The electric air valve (skinner valve), the piston, the fuel shutoff lever.  With no power to the skinner valve, it allows air to pass through, extending the piston, pushing the fuel shutoff lever, and thus shutting down the engine.   Apply power and no air, no piston, lever released, engine starts. 

So, in the past, I have had my piston get stuck in the extended position, not allowing the bus to start.  Skinner was working.   

Hopefully this will allow you to troubleshoot the system.
1985 GMC RTS II 40x96 6V92TA MUI V731 IFS

Offline Catskinner!

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 08:05:37 AM »
David

It is normally the cylinder sticking.  It is easy to remove and clean up.
Or it is possible the air solenoid is not releasing.

Goodluck!
Catskinner!
Sonnie & Patti Gray
0/5 Eagle 3406 Cat
Pottsboro. Tx

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 12:55:22 PM »
Thanks guys,

I figured out how it works.  Something got stuck in the valve that it wouldn't release the air and the plunger stayed pushing on the arm for shutdown even after I drained all the air.   I've been to two places and haven't found a valve yet.  Where is the best place?

David

Offline Buffalo SpaceShip

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 01:06:19 PM »
I've been to two places and haven't found a valve yet.  Where is the best place?

For almost any bus part, your first call should be Luke @ US Coach in Berlin, NJ (856) 767-4848

He's a great guy and friend to the busnut community.

Brian
Brian Brown
4108-216 w/ V730
Longmont, CO

Offline Stan

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 05:22:30 PM »
Skinner valves are made to be repaired. If it is just dirt, take it apart and clean it. Repair kits are available to rebuild the valve if needed.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »
Stan,

Good advice....

I bought a replacement when I first got my bus, but rebulit the original...

Very easy and having a replacement on board guarantees I will never need it ;D

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

belfert

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 05:12:39 AM »
Can I assume this is something a Series 60 would not have?

Brian Elfert

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal