49 (19.2%)
60-70 years old
52 (20.4%)
50-59 years old
67 (26.3%)
older than DIRT
61 (23.9%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Author Topic: Age of us Busnuts not Buses  (Read 32011 times)

Offline gus

Re: Age of us Busnuts not Buses
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »
Well, I'm not so old after all - two of these latest posts make me feel like a whippersnapper myself!!
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »
You people are really encouraging!! With all I have to do on my coach and the learning curve, Ive been a little afraid that by the time I get this conversion done I will be too old to drive it. But all of you, and Vivian especially are wonderful  ;)
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline pabusnut

• P8M4905A-333 former MK&O lines #731
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2010, 06:34:30 PM »
I have been a busnut since I was in my mid-twenties when I bought my first bus.  I had been dreaming about converting a tractor trailer prior to that, but finally realized how few places I would really be able to park!  Now at forty seven, I am near finishing my second bus, and plan to keep it for at least twenty years.  I wish I was as young as I feel, but hope I never feel "old". 

My nine year-old daughter and 3 year old grandson are ready for new adventures in the bus!  I remember my family camping trips when I was a kid, and hope I can share many of them with my family. 

Steve Toomey
PAbusnut

Offline travelingfools

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
Back in the early 80's, while working as a "roadie", I occasionaly got thrown behind the wheel of a tour bus. I remember it being a standard and that we had to double clutch it. I believe it was owned by a company called Omnibus. Since then, I always dreamed about being the one in the bus, not following it. Now thanks to Cody, Im driving my own bus !
John P, Lewiston NY   1987 MC 9 ...ex NJT

cody

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2010, 08:24:47 PM »
 ;D

Offline CrabbyMilton

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 03:39:58 AM »
As I stated, I'm 46. I have been a bus nut all of my life. My late grandpa who died in 1994, worked at the old Milwaukee Transport Company(now Milwaukee County Transit System). He was a diesel mechanic who specialized in repairing fuel injectors. Well, he retired in 1973 when he turned 65 and he took me down there to tie up loss ends and visit his buddies. This annual visit with him continued well into the late 1980's after which virtually all or his old friends were retired as well. But seeing all of those buses in the shop was quite a joy to a youngster back in the day so that's what really hooked me. I don't have the skills, patience or fat money clip or wife and family to own a bus but I guess I could buy an old clunker just to say I have one if I really was tempted but for now, I'm happy just to see and rad about buses which is easy thank to the web.

Offline Doug1968

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:47 PM »
Fellows,

I recently attended a bus rally where we got into a discussion regarding the age of owners of buses.

The discussion was really focused on why this particular club did not have younger members and did not seem to be doing anything to attract new younger bus owners to the club.

I had remembered reading this post and seeing that a fairly large percentage (30.8%) of those responding were under 50 years old. There is also a strong opinion that younger fellows do not have the income to support the bus hobby habit? I happen to know of several fellows in their 20's and 30's that make very good salaries and if they desired to own a bus it would be no problem.

In reviewing the above age poll I would be interested in knowing how many of those that responded belong to a bus club? Could be that there is a high percentage of bus owners that are not affiliated with an organized club.

It might be that this bus forum is where the highest percentage of bus nuts tend to meet to discuss buses?

When I attended my first bus rally I was impressed with the bus related seminars that were put on by the club. For those few of us that were working on a project it was really interesting and I would say greatly sparked my enthusiasm. Much like the results this forum has on some of us?

When I searched to find this bus nut age poll, listed in red just above the "reply" tab there was a note that stated that "this topic had not been responded to in 120 days, are you sure you want to reply"? Seems odd that that note would appear? I almost didn't post! Hope I don't get my membership pulled.

I plan to attend one of the FMCA Rally's this next year and I am anxious to see what percentage of the attendees are under 50.

It would be nice to see some effort put forth by officers of all bus clubs to inspire more members to join and take part in the activities. If this movement to attract younger people does not take place it wont be long before the lights are totally out.

Doug

1986 MCI 102A3 - 8V92 - 5 speed
Vancouver, Washington

Offline Dlsnow

• dave
  • dave
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2012, 09:42:43 PM »
My bus leans big time were way off kilter
33 years oldold with 8 kids somehow.  Spent 8 months and 7000the miles camping in a 20 year old popup without AC (2 years ago) until it woildnt popup.  Upgraded to a bus and I will now understand why your all called busnuts.  This is crazy enough to work.
1972 MCI7 8v71 converted - 1kw solar on roof

Offline Van

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2012, 09:54:12 PM »
Right on! ;D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2012, 07:21:29 AM »
  I had a nurse tell me a couple years ago that  I was here when the earth cooled!  Jack

There's a bunch of dirt that wasn't around when I was in grade school!  (Yep, the 5th grade was the best three years of my childhood.)
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline lostagain

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2012, 07:32:57 AM »
I think possibly that young people do not belong to clubs, whatever hobby there are involved in, because they get all the information they need on sites and forums such as this one. Clubs were big pre internet. I don't have any figures to back this up, but I think clubs are becoming less popular with younger people. Modern clubs are more internet based. The first thing young people do when they need information about anything is go to the computer. What we can do is keep putting on rallies and drawing young and old to them through forums like this one.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline LUKE at US COACH

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2012, 07:34:25 AM »
Hi Folks:

I have been a bus nut since I was a little boy.  When Mom would take me grocery shopping I would stay at the front window to watch the buses.
  As I got older I would jump on a Public service bus and spend the day at the N.Y. Port of Authority Bus Terminal (largest bus terminal in the world).
  Summer of 1961 went to work at Public Service before heading off to college in Philadelphia.
 Unfortunately there was a charter bus company around the corner from the fraternity house in Phila. and in 1963 I dropped out of school and went to work for the bus company and the rest is history.
 So at 69 I still have not lost my interest in and affection for buses and the bus industry and busnuts.

LUKE at US COACH
uscoach@att.net

Offline PCC

• Serving Those Who Have Served
    • Serving Project, Inc.
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2012, 07:35:12 AM »
BusNutting has been almost lifelong.

Started traveling by bus while working as a sound engineer in 1967.

Converted my own bus in 1981-1983 (someone saw it and bought it). Decided there was a possibility to have a fun business.

Started my current (#9) conversion in 2009. Been asked to build 2 more like it.

Maybe I am infected? TOTALLY, and contagious at 62.
For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.

Offline PCC

• Serving Those Who Have Served
    • Serving Project, Inc.
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2012, 07:39:14 AM »
JC, I think you have a point that goes to the issue of a generation closing itself off from others (why I am glad to be here), and Luke - you ARE my brother. I am the same way !!
For some, patience is a virtue.
Dealing with me, it is required.
Thank God - He is always patient.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 07:43:06 AM »
Brenner is trying to figure out how old he will be when he gets through with his series 60 install in his Eagle and does he have enough time left to drive it
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal