Author Topic: Stripping some of the paint off my bus, I think I will polish part of it  (Read 4606 times)

Offline Rick59-4104

The paint on the sides of my bus is in great shape, I just buffed and waxed the sides and it really looks good, parts of the sides of bus are painted and part is the anodized aluminum, I buffed the paint and the anodized aluminum on the sides, front and back.. The bus looked good except for the curved roof section above the trim piece above the windows. In several places the paint had flaked off and the aluminum is showing.
 I got a couple of gallons of stripper and after trying it in a small area to see if it would have an effect on the aluminum I am stripping the paint from the top. It looks like there are 2 layers of primer and 2 of paint. The center 3' or so wide section of the top has been painted with a white paint that still looks good so from the edge of this down to the trim piece I am stripping the paint off. I was surprised to find the roof aluminum is not anodized, so my choices are to repaint or polish. I am going to try the polish route, I think it will look good, I have had in the past several late 40's aluminum travel trailer's that I polished out so I know what I am in for... If it does not look good I can always paint it. I have buffed a small section and it looks good, with the relative small area to buff I think a periodic application of Mothers Aluminum Polish will keep it looking good. On my travel trailers an annual going over with Mothers Aluminum Polish with a buffer kept the trailers looking good.

It is a beautiful windless day here in the Ozarks, after 3 hours or so I have about half of one side of the top done...
I will put up a picture when I finish. If I don't fall off the ladder, I may set up some scaffolding

Rick
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 02:45:58 PM by Rick59-4104 »
NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115
1972 Grumman Kurbmaster Stepvan Conversion
1957 Airstream 13 panel Overlander

Offline thejumpsuitman

Re: Stripping some of the paint off my bus, I think I will polish part of it
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:42:46 PM »
I'm with you.  Polish away if you have the energy and time.
1986 Blue Bird Wanderlodge PT-40
DD 8V92TA, Allison HT748
Albemarle, NC

Offline Depewtee

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:57:16 PM »
Rick,

I need to remove some paint from my bus.  What type/brand stripper did you use?  Any advice on using it?

Brian S.
Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9

Offline Rick59-4104

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 06:37:18 AM »
 First, I am not a paint and body expert just doing what works for me, maybe someone with more experience will jump in here.

I am using Rustoleum Aircraft Stripper from an auto parts store. It does take several applications, since I am polishing the metal to avoid scratches I am using a piece of 22 gauge annealed copper sheeting to scrape with. Using straight razor blades to get in the corners, I have a high speed angle grinder with 3 stacked jewelers 8" stitched buffing wheels stacked together to buff with. You have to use a wheel rake often to clean the buffing wheels with.

(when using the wheel rake to clean the buffing wheels be careful not to fling it thru a window or windshield, use the trailing edge with it pointed in a direction that if it launches it will not hit anything) Don't ask how I know this >:(

I am using some 1 1/2" small jewelers buffing wheels with a 1 horsepower Flex Shaft polisher to get in the corners and along the panel edges.  No 7 rubbing compound for first cut and Mothers Aluminum Polish with a wool bonnet on a car buffer for 2ND polish, Mothers wax with a terry cloth bonnet for final polish. I have used jewelers rouge (comes in a 1 LB brick) in the past and it works good but I find the No. 7 rubbing compound easier to use.I have a plastic sheet duct taped to the lower panels  I am using to keep the stripper off the side panels.

I tried plastic scrapers, the stripper ate them up. I am going to try a plastic windshield scrapper today and see if that works.   If you are going to paint or polish would have a lot to do with what procedure to use I would think. If you are going to prime and paint you would probably want a finish the primer will "bite" into.  If you are going to paint I would wash the panel very good to make sure the stripper is completely cleaned up or I would think it could "bleed back"

Again, I am not a paint and body expert just doing what works for me....
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:23:51 AM by Rick59-4104 »
NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:04:52 AM »
Rick, on another forum that i go to, a guy was talking about how since 2003 he has tried 17 different things on his polished aluminum and has found that a product called Glare works best for sealing the finish.  Says it is spendy but another guy found a place that has it for a lot less money. That site is  www.parkeryamaha.com/ho...ish120zaspx#reviews      I haven't checked out the site as i have stainless but maybe this will help save you from having to re-polish as often. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A with 8V71 and Allison MT644 transmission.

artvonne

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 07:23:03 AM »
  Working around aircraft, the guys said the stripper was mildly corrosive. They would brush on stripper, wait for it to really bubble up, then pressure wash the area. It was facinating to watch 50 year old paint come off by seemingly a wave of a magic wand, leaving behind gleaming aluminum. Then they would wash down with soap and water to remove any remaining stripper. If your going to paint, the metal needs to be etched with an acid, then neutralised. My understanding is the neutraliser will also neutralise any remaining stripper. We also went through MEK by the gallons.

Rick, we were going to head out on a late season drive to see the last of the fall colors. We could swing by if your around and see your progress?

Offline Rick59-4104

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:26:18 AM »
 Hello Paul,

I will be here thru the day until about 3:00 or so, your welcome to swing by..
Rick
NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115

Offline gus

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
Rick,

You don't really want polished Al on the top even if you do seem to have unlimited energy!

Bare Al will get really, really hot in the sun - you don't need that in AR in the summer! It will not reflect heat as some believe. It is easy to prove this with your hand on a hot, sunny day.

Every drop of water will leave a mark and it won't stay shiny very long. This is a lesson many airplane owners have learned.

Etch it well and paint it white. White also looks better than any other color on bus tops. The old bus companies knew what they were doing.

From what I've read on this board white ceramic coating seems to be the best thing for roofs. Christy Hicks has some experience with it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 04:53:13 PM by gus »
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Rick59-4104

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 08:59:51 AM »
Hello Gus,
 The good thing about what I am doing..I can always etch, prime and paint and in all probability that is what I will end up doing down the road. I am going to letter "Highway Traveler" on the top near the front of the bus and it would look good lettered on white...For this winter I will leave it polished, it had a couple of places where the paint had flaked off and it was driving me nuts looking at the bare places.

As for all the energy,  My wife and I in the last year each had a pretty bad health scare that turned out relatively OK for both of us, there is nothing like an jolt and awaking to make me realize how lucky I am. Time to get some things done!!!

Do you still have your engine concerns?
 If you need any help I am a shout away.
 Rick
NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115

Offline gus

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 01:18:14 PM »
Rick,

The 4104 is on the back burner for a while. My wife has been in the hospital for two weeks and I've been here with her the whole time so I have a bunch of projects piled up for now.

Thanks for the offer though.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline Rick59-4104

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Gus,

I hope your wife gets better soon...

Paul,
 I guess I was outside when you called, hope you had a good trip, it was a nice day for one..
Rick
NW Arkansas
1959 GM 4104  No. 4115

artvonne

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 05:08:11 PM »
  Rick~

It was gorgeous. We drove down 7 out of Harrison, picked up 16 over to 21 and headed back home. Seeing trees still changing colors all over all those beautiful mountains, I still have to pinch myself I live here.

Have a safe trip, we'll come down again soon.

And that shout works for me too, Gus. Just give a yell.