Author Topic: Sneak preview, anyone??  (Read 5435 times)

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
Re: Sneak preview, anyone??
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 01:36:03 PM »
I left out the minor detail that the front mount had failed & left the balancer supporting the front of the motor.

I gotta figure that made a hell of a lot of noise. So someone should have done something about that before continuing the trip . . .
Can't remember where I saw the story to go back & get more details . . .

I agree that those cranks are tough enough that they probably don't need the harmonic balancer to survive - but I'll bet the gears like having it there.  ;D

In this case, given the bus is from a cold climate, I'd think too much starting fluid was used.

Hopefully DRT's new motor will be just the ticket to ride.  ;D
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline divinerightstrip

• 1990 Le Mirage XL
    • getting there by bus
Re: Sneak preview, anyone??
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 05:49:32 AM »
keep going and your going to beat me done..you are definitely doing a better job of documenting your build! The knowledge you are gaining now from this build will be something no body can take away from you. The basic of how heavy mechanics and house systems work will spill over into other parts of your life.After this it will be hard for some supposed EXPERT to fool you..keep us posted until you achieve your goal and after..By the way I think you should start replying to questions posted. sometimes this hard headed old man could use a fresh approach both from a ladies view and a younger generation...I( 64) learn something new every day..Bob

hehehe just you wait! I have a perfect learning envt. right now, too! You'll see in my next article...
As far as answering questions, you mean on the forum? Jeez, I don't find myself to be much of an expert, nor do I get online often enough. I'll do my best! :)

That is one large engine cradle.........!  Didn't you buy another engine?  Make sure you keep the pictures coming of the rebuild and install!   The comment on the other thread....was evidently a mistake on my part.....forgive me.  I didn't mean to for it to go where it did....sorry!   
Pat

Comment on the other post?? hmm. Jeez, don't worry about it, I didn't notice it!
I did buy another engine. I have a mechanical 8V92 that I am going to swap bottom ends with this engine!
Just watch and see... I'm going to do it all myself!

How in the world would you break a crankshaft in 8v92 ?

I'm not entirely certain, but it could have been spraying starter fluid without turning the engine over and distributing the combustables evenly, so there was only an explosion in one of the cylinders, and the sheer force and power of the engine split the crank. These engines have a lot of torque! This is just a theory, I really have no idea. It is obvious that they used starter fluid on one of the bus's last trips.

And you were told that if you put that engine in your VW something would let go and it did, now you gotta replace the crankshaft lol. So much for the jack rabbit starts huh lol.  ;D ;D ::)

Darn!! I knew that would come back to haunt me.... ;)

Had to be more to it than that Kyle the 8v92 will run just fine without a harmonic balancer,I have only saw one with a broke crankshaft and it  was caused by starting fluid and the journals were turned 0.60 those babies are tuff on the low end I ran 19:I compression on my 8v92TA and it never was a problem.

good luck

Yes, indeed. That's been my theory. Thanks for the input!

I left out the minor detail that the front mount had failed & left the balancer supporting the front of the motor.

I gotta figure that made a hell of a lot of noise. So someone should have done something about that before continuing the trip . . .
Can't remember where I saw the story to go back & get more details . . .

I agree that those cranks are tough enough that they probably don't need the harmonic balancer to survive - but I'll bet the gears like having it there.  ;D

In this case, given the bus is from a cold climate, I'd think too much starting fluid was used.

Hopefully DRT's new motor will be just the ticket to ride.  ;D

Yep! Ha, I started replying to the posts before I read all of the replies. Yes, too much starter fluid is my hypothesis.
The Bus Girl