Author Topic: And so the journey begins...  (Read 5479 times)

Offline trucktramp

And so the journey begins...
« on: November 21, 2010, 08:35:36 PM »
I just arrived home with my most recent purchase...A bus.  It is a 1966 MCI MC-5.  It has the 8V71 with a 4 speed.  It runs great with no smoke on start up.  The inside has been started so my job this winter is to finish the interior.  I am sure that I will be posting questions to help me with the journey.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual

Offline grantgoold

Re: And so the journey begins...
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 04:42:04 AM »
Good luck! Keep warm and ask a lot of questions. The money saved is directly related to the number of questions asked on this board. ;D

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 06:17:04 AM »
Congrats, MC-5 is a great little bus and you should have a ton O'fun!

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline trucktramp

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:44 AM »
Well the trip home was fun.  The bus runs like a scalded dog.  I do have to fix the speedo however.  At 30 mph on the clock it is running about 80 and I don't need any high speed driving awards.   ;D ;D
Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual

Offline belfert

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:42:59 AM »
I recommend a little handheld GPS to keep track of your speed instead of your speedometer.  You might be able to adjust your speedometer, but how long will stay in adjustment?  You can get GPS units at a pawn shop or on Craigslist. 

Most GPS navigation units also display speed if you have one.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline chris4905

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 12:19:19 PM »
If you finished the interior of a bus in one winter, the people at Guinness may want a word with you next spring.
Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »
So where did you buy it at, do we know the PO, and where are you at?
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline Highway Yacht

• *****Jimmy*****
  • Locust, North Carolina
    • WWW.MciBusTalk.Com
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:30:26 PM »
Congratulations and welcome to the MCI Family...
1979 MC-9  8V71-Turbo / HT740             * www.MciBusTalk.com *
Locust, North Carolina                           A Site Dedicated To MCI's

Offline trucktramp

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 05:57:32 AM »
So where did you buy it at, do we know the PO, and where are you at?

Suprisingly, I did something that I said I would never do.  I bought it off Ebay from a guy in Noblesville, Indiana.  Luck was with me since I never had anyone look at it before I bid.  Heck for that matter, no one looked at it after I bid.  So far, no suprises.  It needs rubber.  It wanders a bit so I need to check out the front end.  The clutch is all the way to the top so I hope it is just an adjustment and not a replacement.  The motor does not smoke on start up or while running.  The inside is nearly finished.  Bathroom is in and complete.  The bedroom needs finished as does the living area.  The cabinets, stove and fridge are in along with new flooring. 

Some things I like, others I don't and I will change them.  I think that this project is far enough along that I won't grow tired of fussing with it and give it up.  The best part was the price.  It was something that I could easily afford, although from what I've seen on the boards the money spending is just begining.  I figure that it won't be a high end conversion but it will be comfortable and useable.

Oh, and I am just south of Kalamazoo, Michigan about 45 min. from Bontrager's and the rest of the salvage places.  I guess I will be hitting those places too.

Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual

cody

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 06:24:21 AM »
If I lived that close to Bontragers I would be never be home and would be broke all the time instead of just most of the time. On this board you can get a lot of information, sift thru it and keep the information that relates to what you want to do and file the rest.

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 06:32:16 AM »
Trucktramp,
You should check out the Converted Coach Owners group!  We have a good number of bus rallies in Michigan and surrounding states.  There are several of us here on the board that are members.  It's a fun group of people and there is a knowledge base that is unbelievable!  It's like a small version of this awesome board!  If you need any help, I'm up here in Lansing and I own a MCI 7.  Welcome to the madness!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 06:51:06 AM »
Clutch engagement height adjustment is a very simple process, if you PM me I can tell you how to do it.  Other than that you just need to start at the front and work your way to the back checking the air brake, suspension and control systems that need regular maintenance.  If everything works, then start to work out a regular maintenance scheme.  For example, I went through my front brakes and suspension this year, and next year I'll go through the rear brakes and suspension, upgrading and renewing as appropriate.

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline TomC

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2010, 07:58:39 AM »
My odometer is about 2 percent slow-so I add 2 percent onto figuring fuel mileage.  My speedo is off quite a bit more, so I just use my GPS as my speedo-and also my tach.  Works for me.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2010, 12:39:23 PM »
Speedo is probably missing a bolt on the brake drum and the sensor is reading half the impulses, or the sensor is mis-adjusted.  Again easy to check and fix, if that is the problem.

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2010, 05:03:30 PM »
If you post your 4 diget serial number we might be able to look it up and tell you who originally bought it .
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal