Author Topic: NAV systems  (Read 5278 times)

Offline Mike in GA

NAV systems
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
Saw on Nick Russell's blog where he and other RVers were very pleased with the Garmin NuVi 465T - designed for truckers, and more apt to keep us big rig folks off the wrong roads. My original Garmin was NOT to be trusted off the interstates!
     I see prices on eBay ranging from $250 to $399  - quite a bit pricier than entry level models.
What's the collective opinion out there about the NuVi 465? Santa may want to give one to wifey!
     Cheers!
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline Gerry H

• 1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison
Re: NAV systems
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:16:19 PM »
Mike: The PO of my bus was a fulltime OTR truck driver and he had one (465T). He said it was great, having had 2 other Garmins in the past, I bought one on black Friday for $250 plus shipping on the web. Haven't had any time to play with it as of yet, but with previous Garmins and probably any other mfg, you will occasionally be lead astray.
   From the reviews I've read, there is nothing out there any where's close. Has weight restrictions, height and length restrictions, warning for grades and sharp curves. And has menu for area truck repair shops and towing.  Also has additional SD memory card slot in case someday down the road the update requires more memory which is what finally retired my first Garmin. Can also be switched over to automobile mode for normal car use. What more is there?
    Careful Santa doesn't find out about it, he might just keep it for himself! Good Luck Gerry H   ;D
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses

Offline gus

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:25:01 PM »
As Jerry says, any GPS will lead you astray because the data bases they use are so old.  You need to take its recommendations with a grain of salt and have your maps at the ready!

Mine doesn't show highways that changed five years ago!!

PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 04:47:29 AM »
Yearly map upgrades are available for most of the Garmins and other systems.

Offline brando4905

• Clean Vibes,LLC--Event Waste and Recycling Services
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 05:28:06 AM »
We've got a 465T, love it, well worth the money.
1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan

Offline gus

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 02:24:22 PM »
Garmin upgrades are so expensive compared to the lower price ones I use that it isn't worth the money. I just get a newer GPS.

Even the upgrades are really old, a Garmin rep told me this.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline chuckd

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »
Mike:  copilot makes software for a variety of hardware devices.  They have a rev 8 for trucks.  I am not familiar with the latest revision but the rev 7 worked for routes that avoided narrow roads, low bridges, weigh stations etc.

chuckd

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 05:15:52 PM »
If you have room for a laptop then I think Microsoft Streets and Trips with GPS is by far the best thing out there, and only $70.00

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »
Saw on Nick Russell's blog where he and other RVers were very pleased with the Garmin NuVi 465T - designed for truckers, and more apt to keep us big rig folks off the wrong roads. My original Garmin was NOT to be trusted off the interstates!
     I see prices on eBay ranging from $250 to $399  - quite a bit pricier than entry level models.
What's the collective opinion out there about the NuVi 465? Santa may want to give one to wifey!
     Cheers!
Mike in GA
Mike,

I have the Garmin Nuvi and its works fine for us.

One thing I do is have it set for NO u-turns, helps with making sure I don't end up in a one way alley.

I have missed a few turns and the reroute makes sure I do an easy squared turn around.

Like others have said, when I get on surface roads in unfamiliar area's, I take a good look at the map.,

No GPS replaces a little common sense, any underpass on a railroad bridge requires a double-take on the clearance sign..... ;)

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 03:59:50 AM »
TheGPSstore.com

Take a look at the above place the Garmin 465T $249.95.

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 04:22:26 AM »
One of my best friends just bought it...kept it for two days, loved it, however it was not near loud enough.  He drives a Volvo truck which is not loud at all, he is getting the Magellan with the lane assist and the lifetime traffic reports, about $200.00.
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 05:02:26 AM »
We decided to opt for MS Streets and Trips with the GPS locator. I've downloaded lots of stuff to use in it for free. Low Clearance heights, Flying J's etc. We haven't had a chance to use it yet, only have had it a couple of weeks. I'm going to mount a 10" monitor on the dash and run a 15 pin cord or USB cable to it from our laptop.

I did really think hard about the Garmin, as I've used them before and really liked it. But with the money we saved it can be used for something else. ;D

I still like to use the Rand McNally atlas when we're planning though. ;)

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Mike in GA

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 08:21:13 AM »
As usual, thanks for the great info and various perspectives!
I definitely think Santa will get into the act here.
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 08:59:01 AM »
Does Maps and Streets with GPS have that all important to bus nuts GPS speedometer function?  I tried the GPS speed function on my Blackberry and it varied by 4 or 5 mph when I was on cruise control in my pickup truck, didn't change speed by 1 mph over my test period.

My wife loves to navigate with map books, but I think a nice netbook application might woo her over to the dark side...

Brian   
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »
For what it's worth...I have a Magellan 1412 which is an entry level GPS, cost $119.00 on sale.  I drive a truck and it has not got me in too much trouble...come to think of it...not near as much as some of my co-workers with the high dollar so called trucker GPS's.
Now it has tried to get me to run down some roads that from the looks of them would not work...common sense works well there!
For some reason it made me drive completely around a city block in Sumpter, SC on day!
Also, I can find addresses much faster with the Magellan than my Garmin equipped friends.  The Tom-Tom is said to work well too!
One of the guys on XM, (Hate those idiots) did a review on the different GPS's...found the cheap ones perform about as well as the high dollar truck ones!  The truck ones still say don't totally rely on them for clearances, non truck routes etc.  If I am paying another couple hundred for it...I expect it to work!
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal