Author Topic: NAV systems  (Read 5271 times)

Offline Dreamscape

• Dreamscape
  • Global Moderator
  • 1968 Silver Eagle Model 01 8V92T Allison 740 #7443
Re: NAV systems
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »
Does Maps and Streets with GPS have that all important to bus nuts GPS speedometer function?  I tried the GPS speed function on my Blackberry and it varied by 4 or 5 mph when I was on cruise control in my pickup truck, didn't change speed by 1 mph over my test period.

My wife loves to navigate with map books, but I think a nice netbook application might woo her over to the dark side...

Brian   

Yes it does. That's another feature I like. It really has a lot of functions that I haven't even touched yet.

Our coach was originally owned by the Dixie Echoes.

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 11:19:17 AM »
Another laptop program that I have been using for years is DeLorme very user friendly and a lot of information on it.

Offline rwc

• No longer will be Now AM
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »
I have used both the Delorme and The Streets and trips. Delorme wins hands down. The Streets and trips GPS co-ordinates put me 50 miles away. It did well following highway just the co-ordinates were always off. Also it would only take you to the nearest corner but Delorme would take you to the address.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 11:38:45 AM »
I have a (now ancient) Garmin Street Pilot 7200.

Love the big 7" screen, and the auto - volume adjustment (voice gets louder as speed increases).

I purchased the lifetime map upgrade subscription, which allows me to update the map software up to 4 times per year for as long as I own the unit.  Well worth the $100 bucks or so (plus it's a business expense for me, thus tax deductible).  Just have to remember to do it periodically!

Delorme on a MacBook Air would be perfect for the bus!  (Hint, hint Santa??)

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 12:19:27 PM »
RJ, a warning about the MacBook they won't run 10 hours on a battery only 9hrs and 51 minutes lol I haven't figured out how to turn the lighted keyboard off yet and do not let the wife use it or you will be buying 2 I love mine when she allows me to use it

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline bobofthenorth

• R.J.(Bob) Evans
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 09:29:15 AM »
Another vote for Microsloth Streets and Trips here.  It doesn't matter whose plastic case you use they all rely on the same basemap providers and those basemaps are not completely accurate so every unit will have some errors.  Streets and Trips is cheap and it works.  Its not perfect.  I use the speedometer function a lot because my speedo is calibrated in kilometers and my brain can't do the conversion fast enough when we are travelling gray roads in the US and have to slow down for every two-bit town.  The route builder isn't great on Streets and Trips but I've used it for a long time and I've kind of got used to it.  The big screen is an advantage.  As Paul has already pointed out there are a host of providers for waypoint files for use with S & T - everything from Walmart locations to KOAs to bridge clearances. 
R.J.(Bob) Evans
Used to be 1981 Prevost 8-92, 10 spd
Currently busless (and not looking)

The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you.
Its the last thing but its still on the list.

Offline blue_goose

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2010, 11:01:50 AM »
Mike,
I use the Garmin 7200 for all my trips.  I haven't taken a map with me for the past 100,000 miles.  If I need a map I use the computer for that.   All of the Garmin's use the same maps, if you get the truck model it will give you some info that may help.  I use the 7200 because I have the xm radio through the GPS.  If my xm would work with the truck model I would have one.
You can't go wrong with a Garmin.
Jack

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal