Author Topic: Tach for 83 mc-9 njt auto  (Read 3289 times)

Offline Busnut83

Tach for 83 mc-9 njt auto
« on: September 04, 2006, 06:32:06 AM »
How do I install a tach to a 6v92ta??? and Is it worth installing ????

Thanks again

Offline NJT5047

Re: Tach for 83 mc-9 njt auto
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 06:54:00 AM »
Use an electronic tach designed for 24 VDC system.  The tach wire is already run between the front and rear junction boxes...it's a white/black lead.  There are other unused leads if the white/black has been used. 
You cannot overrev the engine and the trans is generally going to shift whenever it feels a need, but, it's nice to watch a tach move.  Won't serve much purpose. 
I bought an Isspro tach from Rich at IBP, but have not installed it.  I'm going to...may do it soon since I'm running wires again. 
Use the "R" terminal on the alternator for a signal.  Be sure and get the correct terminal on the alt.  You may have a direct connection from the "R" terminal in the rear junction box on a relay. 
You'll have to get the tach signal, ignition, and ground to the dash from the front junction box. 
Others may have different ideas, but I"m going to install a fuel pressure guage so that I can monitor the condition of the fuel filters.  That'll be bit more trouble to install, but it seems useful? 
Cheers, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Busnut83

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2006, 07:00:29 AM »
Thanks again,,, this board is great-------- and the people on it....

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2006, 07:15:42 AM »
I've got a VDO tach and find it useful in almost the exact same circumstances a tach in my car is useful.  Good for keeping an eye on the revs as you come down from rocky mountain high!

Offline RTS/Daytona

• Pete RTS/Daytona ->'89 TMC 35' 102" 6V92TA 4:10
    • BUS CONVERSION PARTS FOR SALE / PROJECTS
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 09:14:48 AM »
Hi

Let me know if you need a tach - I have a bunch of Monaco RV Misc gauges - including a bunch of Monaco tachs = $39 - will work on the Alternator "R"  terminal

Pete RTS/daytona  hawk_ii_mail  at  Yahoo.com
If you ain't part of the solution, then you're part of the problem.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal