Author Topic: Help MCI won't Fire  (Read 13349 times)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Help MCI won't Fire
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2011, 02:42:32 PM »
On my bus the auto shut down and the alarms were both disabled.  The first thing I did when i got the bus was to re-establish the low air audible alarm buzzer, but I haven't done anything with the other alarms (other than buy new diodes so I could fix it all up).  I think a good compromise is to disable the auto shut down, but make very sure the audible alarm buzzer is hooked up and working for low air, low oil pressure and high water temperature, along with their respective warning dash lights.

Brian

normally, I would have to agree with you on this. However, my experience with my own coach has shown me that the buzzer is not always trustworthy. In fact, right after my problem with my air compressor, while I was diagnosing the problem, I had drained most of the air from the system, but when I turned on the bus to start it back up and see if it was pumping, the buzzer did not go off. The lights on the dash were going, but bulbs can and do burn out, and depending on the orientation of you steering wheel spoke, you may not see the light (my punch list has changing the position of the steering wheel because of this, but it has not risen to the top of the priority list... or I just keep forgetting to do it). 

I can guarantee you it will get your attention when the engine shuts off!

The shutdown system is designed such that it can be overridden by holding in the start button so you are not necessarily stranded when it shuts down the engine.

And Bryce, I don't take offense or feel you were demeaning in your post. I have always said from day one of this hobby that I will do my best to document my successes and also my failures so that those around me and those coming after me can learn from me. If it means I look like a fool, well, then I guess there must be some truth to it.  I've never claimed to be an expert at any of this, and while I think I'm probably more skilled at some of this than the average bear, it's all a learning experience for me, too. That's why I keep JD's number on speed dial  ::)

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline MARKMC7

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »
while we are on the subject of warning buzzers. where might one find its location on an MC 7 as there is no buzzer that sounds when I start my bus and i know there should be one for the low air. I fear the PO may have disconnected it. I want it to work. but first i have to know where it should be located to check if it is wired still.

Thanks in advance

Mark
Thanks to Ruthi and ken. my bus is now called "one peace at a time"

Offline James77MCI8

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »
I have a bypass for my shut downs just in case a sensor fails and I need to get the bus going. It is wired into the step light switch.
77 MCI 8
8V-71 4 spd

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2011, 03:17:39 PM »
while we are on the subject of warning buzzers. where might one find its location on an MC 7 as there is no buzzer that sounds when I start my bus and i know there should be one for the low air. I fear the PO may have disconnected it. I want it to work. but first i have to know where it should be located to check if it is wired still.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Mark my memory is not the greatest when it comes to MCI's as I haven't worked on them much at all the last 4 or 5 yrs. But IIRC the buzzed is located in the electric panel/box outside below the drivers window.
I can't recall but I can assure you someone will chime in and tell us what post it comes off off.

I have a bypass for my shut downs just in case a sensor fails and I need to get the bus going. It is wired into the step light switch.

Good idea, but if it hasn't been monkeyed with MCI's came with an override from the factory where as long as there is oil pressure sensed it will continue to run while in shut down mode if you hold the start button down. (the oil pressure sensor keeps the starter from engaging while doing this.)

FWIW ;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Rick 74 MC-8

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2011, 04:30:48 PM »
BK

Your right on the override but its  fuel psi not oil psi

Rick 74 MC-8
About 20 Miles West Of Chicago

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2011, 06:03:19 PM »
MCI MC series buzzer is on the drivers electrical panel, standing beside the bus looking at the panel it's at the upper right corner.  It was my understanding that DOT required an audible low air alarm, but it may be that a warning light is as much as is needed.  Daily inspection includes testing and noting the pressure at which the low air alarm turns off when the bus is airing up, and the pressure at which it comes back on when fanning the brakes to cause the pressure to fall.  It should go off at 85 psi on the way up, and come on at 60 psi on the way down.  I test that daily before moving the bus.  The same  buzzer is supposed to be connected so that it buzzes if low oil pressure or high water temperature alarms go off.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline MARKMC7

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2011, 06:07:37 PM »
thank you bk and Brian. i will look for that when the sun is upon Florida tomarrow.

Mark
Thanks to Ruthi and ken. my bus is now called "one peace at a time"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal