Author Topic: Tire prices - ouch! Mistake!  (Read 9523 times)

Offline dwbruner

Re: Tire prices - ouch! Mistake!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2006, 09:37:25 AM »
Our local Sam's Club sells commercial tires (11R22.5, 11R24.5, 295/75R22.5 and 285/75R24.5), but they don't have the equipment to mount & balance them.  It is a Vesta tire, but I was told that they are manufactured by Goodyear?  ???  They are advertised at $226 and a local shop quoted me $20/tire to mount & balance.
Darrin Bruner
1985 Eagle Model 10

belfert

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2006, 05:38:49 PM »
Our local Sam's Club sells commercial tires (11R22.5, 11R24.5, 295/75R22.5 and 285/75R24.5), but they don't have the equipment to mount & balance them.  It is a Vesta tire, but I was told that they are manufactured by Goodyear?  ???  They are advertised at $226 and a local shop quoted me $20/tire to mount & balance.

Interesting.  The local Sam's Club quoted me a lot higher than that for 11R24.5 tires.  I think it was around $375.  They didn't really know anything about them as the commercial/RV tires are a new line and they had never sold any.  This was back in March or April when I asked.

Be warned that some of the offbrand tires that are supposedly Goodyears are made in China.

Brian Elfert

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2006, 12:19:53 AM »
Be warned that some of the offbrand tires that are supposedly Goodyears are made in China.

Brian Elfert

Hmmm, I wonder where the Kumho's and Wanli's I have been running on our coaches with NO TROUBLES AT ALL are from?

Don't care either! I hate GoodYear (I know from local experience how the quality is at the Union City, Plant!)& Firestone! And the price on these I am running were right for me to give 'm a try and after several yrs of charter service I'm still happy with them! BK ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2006, 03:58:50 PM »
As it turns out, I'm in the market for a set of tires (at least, steers) for the new 4107.  (Of course, you realize that this is the only place you can use the word "new" and  "4107" in the same sentence). 

Since they'll likely weather out (Texas, even with tire shields) before wearing out tread, I don't want to invest in Michelins, etc.  If Bryce says Kumho's and Wanli's work for him, that's good enough for me.  I wouldn't have a problem with takeoffs that I could still get 3-4 years out of, either.  I'm pretty sure I have 12.5R 22.5's, but frankly, getting the Mother-in-Law home safely to Massachusetts, bus safely to Dallas, were greater priorities than checking tire size - and I was only home a few days before getting back on the airplane for business.

So, any thoughts on sources/prices in the Dallas area?

Arthur Gaudet   Carrollton, TX       
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal