Author Topic: Are valve cover gaskets on the DDs reuseable?  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
Are valve cover gaskets on the DDs reuseable?
« on: September 04, 2006, 07:06:15 PM »
I am about to take a valve cover off because I think the wire to the Jake Brake is possibly shorted. My question is: Do I need a new valve cover gasket after removing the valve cover? The DD book says yes. Mechanics I talk to say no. Could it be a crap shoot? Put it back and if it leaks then get a new one? What are my odds? (I realize that there are a thousand variables). What if I add just a little silicone gasket maker when I replace it? What has been your experience? I don’t mind using a new gasket, but I wouldn’t want to have it apart and unable to go any where while I wait for the part.

Thanks
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

belfert

Re: Are valve cover gaskets on the DDs reuseable?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2006, 07:54:23 PM »
Ron from RontheBusNut also runs a gasket manufacturing business.  I talked to him a bit about Series 60 valve cover gasket and they should be reusable.

Brian Elfert

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2006, 04:13:33 AM »
I have a DD6V92T and have had valve covers off numerous times.  The gaskets are rubber type and we haven't had to replace them.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2006, 09:44:12 AM »
Barn Owl they are reusable! But hey it won't hurt to have a new one around just incase one gets damaged! I try to be carefull and reuse 'm anytime I can, but I've got a set of spares for our 6 & 8 V92's ! As everyone else has said they are rubber and made to be used over and over! Of course the DD book is gonna say replace them for 2 reasons! One is liability & the other is $ ! If you use ANY SILICONE AT ALL! Make sure it's only a tiny dab and only use it to hold the gasket in place in the cover while putting the cover back on! I would avoid using it if at all possible as next time it'll cause the gasket to stick n tear! FWIW ! BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Stan

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2006, 12:03:10 PM »
When did DD change the cork gaskets to rubber for  the sheet metal valve covers?  A 4106 would not have cast covers on the original engine. If they have been changed to cast covers with rubber type gaskets they are reusable. The original cork gaskets are a gamble to use a second time because it is very easy to overtighten the valvecover bolts.  No kind of adhesive should be used with cork gaskets

Offline Sammy

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2006, 02:30:24 PM »
If they are the rubber/silicone type try to reuse them.
I inspect them for cracks or tears and then make my decision.
Make sure the head surface is real clean.
Don't use any sealant on them, they don't need it.
Don't overtighten the valve cover bolts- 15-20 ft/lbs, as per the 8V71 manual.  8)

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 04:52:50 AM »
When did DD change the cork gaskets to rubber for  the sheet metal valve covers?  A 4106 would not have cast covers on the original engine. If they have been changed to cast covers with rubber type gaskets they are reusable. The original cork gaskets are a gamble to use a second time because it is very easy to overtighten the valvecover bolts.  No kind of adhesive should be used with cork gaskets

Stan,
DD changed to the rubber gaskets for the steel valve covers at least 15 years ago.

Dallas

Offline Stan

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 05:03:14 AM »
Thanks Dallas. That was years after I quit using them, and went to cast covers.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal