Author Topic: the pics I took at bussin 11  (Read 5274 times)

Offline MARKMC7

the pics I took at bussin 11
« on: January 02, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
Okay all I did my best to tag these as best I could remember. there are many from the forum dinner I didn't tag and several bus's I didn't know who owned them or I simply forgot your name.( sorry if I forgot who you were). feel free to pm me If you want something tagged and I will do My best to make it happen. Thanks to all who invited me in and allowed me to shot these awesome photos. I hope to have My 7 ready to spend some nights in before the next rally and I can stay the whole time and shot some more for all to see.

http://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h382/mrmed5683/?themeSaved=2723193

Mark
Thanks to Ruthi and ken. my bus is now called "one peace at a time"

Offline fe2_o3

Re: the pics I took at bussin 11
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 04:58:18 PM »
 Very well done Mark.. Thanks...Cable
Sofar Sogood
1953-4104
KB7LJR
Everett, WA.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 05:16:04 PM »
Mark very nice! I added a few notes where I could! And hope you don't mind but I'm going to add this link to my face book page to show some of my friends!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline MARKMC7

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
BK I don't mind at all they are there for all to see, I am just glad folks seem to like them.

Mark

Offline ruthi

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »
Good job Mark!
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline Dave5Cs

• BCM Subscriber
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 09:44:27 PM »
Thank You Mark for the great pictures and now can relate faces to some of the people too. Some neat Buses.
Dave :)
"Perfect Frequency"1979 MCI MC5Cs 6V-71,644MT Allison.
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 60th Anniversary edition.
1998 Jeep TJ ,(Gone)
 Somewhere in the USA fulltiming.

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2011, 04:39:14 AM »
Interested to see the photo of the short Neoplan (photo 36). Different make but very much like mine - and the first time I have seen a short bus like this in the States

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »
Interested to see the photo of the short Neoplan (photo 36). Different make but very much like mine - and the first time I have seen a short bus like this in the States

Jeremy

Jeremy we have short buses in the states! They are the ones most busnuts ride to school at young ages and become hooked on the hobby!
(here "short bus" is slang for handicapped or "special education" buses ;) )

But seriously we do have some shorter buses here used in applications like airport shuttle buses or private shuttle buses for retirement homes, ski resorts, etc.

They are not commonly converted in "RV's" here for 2 reasons #1 is obvious "size" & #2 usually when these things are released from service they are well on their way to being scrap as they don't have the "long life durability" built into them like our transits or over the road coaches do.
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2011, 10:20:17 AM »
#2 usually when these things are released from service they are well on their way to being scrap as they don't have the "long life durability" built into them like our transits or over the road coaches do.

What you're describing there is what we would call a 'midibus' - a bus-like vehicle built (usually) onto a small truck chassis (as opposed to a 'minibus', which is built on to a van chassis). Some midibuses can be very attractive (see photo below) - but, as you say, cannot be be compared to a proper bus

When I say 'short bus' I specifically mean a short version of a regular highway coach - literally a 40 or 45 foot coach that has 10 or 15 feet missing from the middle. The Neoplan in the photo is like that I'm sure - mechanically identical to it's full-size sisters, just shorter. Which of course leads to an interesting debate as to exactly why an operator would specify the short version, when the cost saving must be fairly minimal - certainly you only occasionally see the short versions on the road, so I assume they are only built for very specific applications where a long life/long distance vehicle is needed, but it also needs to have extra maneuverability for tight country roads or narrow streets - which I expect is a much more likely scenario here than in the States.

As regards the suitability of a short bus as a conversion - as with everyone else I was of course originally looking for a 40-footer.....and for somewhere to park it. I'd visted several of the local coach operators for advice, and to enquire about whether I could rent storage space in their yard. One day I was having a long chat with the owner of a small fleet of buses in my town, and he recommended that I consider a short bus as it would still have more than enough interior room for my needs whilst being considerably easier to maneuver and park. I initially dismissed the idea, but some time later it struck me like a bolt of lightning that I might just be able to get a short bus onto my own driveway. That was a game-changer for me, so after that it was just a matter of finding one for sale.

Jeremy

Midi bus (not a 'short bus'!):

A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
Quote from: Jeremy

Midi bus (not a 'short bus'!):

Aw how cute!
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline MARKMC7

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
that really is a cute bus. I especially like the bug antenna like mirrors. what is it like a 28 seat er?

Mark

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »
Ok, so I've just had a look to see where Google got that photo from. That bus is a Temsa Opalin apparently, Temsa being a Turkish bus builder I hadn't previously heard of. Doesn't say what chassis it's built on except that it's rear-engined, so presumably something designed for the job rather than an off-the-shelf truck chassis. MAN engine and ZF or Allison transmission. Oh, and it's a 35 seater apparently.

http://www.temsa.com/en/buses/touring/opalin/technical-specs.aspx

Jeremy

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 04:30:22 PM »
Nice collection here.

Thanks for sharing.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Ericbsc

• 73 05
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 07:50:40 PM »
I don't't know if it is proper to add to this thread, but since it is the same subject I m adding pics from Arcadia also. Hope thats alright. If not just delete. Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal