Author Topic: Aqua-Hot question  (Read 18268 times)

Offline Joe Camper

• One Stop Prevo Shop
Aqua-Hot question
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:15:29 AM »
I would go to the yahoo forum for this I know there is one but stupid me can't seem to figure out how to sign up so

I just bought a leaking aqua hot from a friend in Fl here is all the pertinent info on it

Out of a 6yr old American Eagle that they fulltime in Titusville, 12 volt, until removed worked flawlessly all components BUT was dripping Antifreeze under the camper hence the removal. Original owner never even looked at it could be as simple as a leaky rad cap or as bad as a rotten tank?

I know what I have here new but it is not.  I am not going to use it in ours we are set up for webasto and am not looking to reconfigure the entire plumbing bay. I got it to sell or trade for something we can use.

Initially I was going to sell it as is but am rethinking, I have had many calls.

I am going to open it up today and see what is going on.

If I fix it what would be a fair price for something like this? I don't have a clue and Ido not think I am currently asking the correct amount  LOL

Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.

Offline luvrbus

Re: Aqua-Hot question
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 07:50:21 AM »
Joe, you can usually buy the Aqua Hot or the Hurricane system used for less than 2 grand I bought one for 1000 bucks and Aqua Hot charged me 2700 to repair it after I sold it for 2500 to a bus nut here made a bunch on that deal lol  point is don't warranty that system as is where is 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Joe Camper

• One Stop Prevo Shop
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 07:59:04 AM »
O/K they charged you 2700 to repair. I'm suprised you did not try to repair it yourself, or did you?

What part was bad?

So you invested 3700 total cost for purchase and repair?

Warrenty on used stuff off the internet? No

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 08:11:55 AM »
Wasn't in my bus and he was 2000 miles from me when it quit and I told him to take Aqua Hot in CO and I would pay for it which I did a  money losing deal for me
I am not a big fan of that system uses to much fuel for me if you sell yours and need another I have one in Houston I need to pickup came from Davenports Eagle

good luck

Offline Phil H / Chicago

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 08:45:38 AM »
Hey Joe,

I don't know if this will help (or work) but try to google yahoo hydronic rv heating group....I think that was how I found it.

I have the aquahot unit in my 1999 motorhome and there are times I love it and times I feel like pulling it out and throwing away. I had always thought about installing it when I start my bus project. But after the last two years of Chicago fulltime living in our present rv not sure I feel the same. Guess time will tell.

I agree...check out the leak. The system has a engine preheat loop that runs thru it as well as the boiler antifreeze....could be either....can you tell by looking at the fluid dipping?  Mine has a leak in the engine preheat that I am just going to eliminate because it would be be costly to tear into the entire system to fix.

Phil

Offline Joe Camper

• One Stop Prevo Shop
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 03:31:46 PM »
I filled the tank with antifreeze mixture today and it held 17lb and did not drop it is still presurized  Iam leaving it overnight.

I mistakenly presumed this was well used they fulltime but I came to find out today they have a Florida room on the ownership lot they live on and use the bath and shower there and almost never used this.

I also pressurized the house water inlet and outlet to 50 psi and it too held all day and if the engine heat exchange were leaking it would show up with the tank pressurized as it has been all day with those ports currently left open, so that exchanger is also OK.

Tomorrow I am going to bench test it. Hook up some hoses and test the 3 circulating pumps 1 loop at a time, give it 12 volts and see if the webasto fires and cycles as it should.

This thing looks bran new inside. I am beginnning to think his leak was one of his hoses there is no evidence anywhere of anything ever leaking on it.

What a pick this could turn out to be!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 04:40:12 PM »
My Aqua Hot is spoken for no more pm guys
thanks

Offline Joe Camper

• One Stop Prevo Shop
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
I learned yesterday that my bench test was incorrect and incomplete.

I put 50 psi air to the fresh water exchanger (or "loop") and that was wrong.

A leak is not the only way it can fail.

The glue or adhesive they use to attach the copper tube to the outside of the tank can fail and delaminate. This will create a situation where it will give you hot water initially but it will not stay hot indefinitely as it should.The way it was explained to me was this is not a common failure but it is one that they see. A small but undetected leak over time will cause this (replace your radiator caps every other year and make sure the tube is securely attached to the filler neck).

I need to put water thru that loop and let it flow at 6gpm and the output temp should remain at 110 or 112 degree, indefinitely. Another fact I was unaware of. ( the more I learn the more I want this in my bus LOL)

So it is Jan in Chicago and I am moving the show inside to the basement next to the wash basin where I can run it with water and have a convenient place to run a Temp exhaust to the Webasto burner to the outside. It's a project but something that is important to me.

So far the biggest mistake was telling Debbie I'm taking it downstairs sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Offline Phil H / Chicago

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 09:58:12 AM »
Hey Joe....do you have the cover off the boiler section so you can see if the tubing has separated from the tank? There is also a mixer valve at the bottom of the burner that goes bad and can change the water temp.

What part of Chicago are you in? If you have the unit opened up I would enjoy seeing how it is put together. I need to determine whether my engine preheat loop leak can be repaired.

Thanks,
Phil

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
Joe, interesting thread. 

If at all possible, please post some pictures here or on some site.  As Phil said, we would all like to benefit from you project.

I have been through the factory assembly area a couple of times, but did not take pictures (didn't think they would approve) and don't recall the construction in detail.

I do recall seeing them work on a couple of units that had frozen.  Made it sound like fixing the boiler was doable. 

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline Joe Camper

• One Stop Prevo Shop
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »
I will do a thread on my homepage with photos and put a link here to it. I will photo document bench testing it however I do not believe it will require that much disassembly. On this unit the case around the tank assembly is riveted together and unless I see something that requires opening it I am not. I am beginning to think in the end I am going to find nothing wrong with it!

On a side note me and a friend of mine were dissecting a brain box for the webasto, we had it open and we were testing it open. and He tells me he wants to build a test board/tool that would facilitate isolating what exactly went bad and low and behold it has a part # they already sell them LOL.

The factory does service seminars at the factory for 300 bucks twice a year then if your local is O/K they will make you an authorized service provider 2 or 3 days or something like that. Not a bad deal if so inclined. I inquired.

I am headed to KC will get to this early next week.

Offline Hard Headed Ken

• 1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift
    • Link to my engine swap
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2011, 07:59:34 AM »
I purchased one that had damage to the fresh water coil from freezing in two separate places. I'm cutting out the damaged sections and splicing in the shortest sections possible with lead solder. The factory splice used silver solder. I'm going to use lead solder because I'm not able to get behind the joint once the tubing is back in place. Lead solder sweats much better than silver and should flow around the connection.  I know there is a lot of differences in the strength and operating temperatures. I think lead solder should OK for this temperature and pressure range. There will be some reduction in efficiency because the new sections may not contact the tank like the original.

Ken
Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI

Offline TomC

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2011, 08:08:14 AM »
I don't quite understand the draw of using the Aqua Hot with its' high maintenance!?  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Hard Headed Ken

• 1988 Prevost Angola Conversion Repowered With 14L Series 60 & Eaton Ultrashift
    • Link to my engine swap
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 08:29:28 AM »
I used a Webasto 2010 many years for my heat system and it never gave a problem. The Aquahot I have seems to be just a variation of the same principle. I think in an 8 by 40 home the 3 zone thing is a little crazy, but other than that the design seems simple. This is my first Aquahot, I hope I'm not disappointed.

Ken
Link to my engine swap slide show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAFFBcoTQI

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 12:04:09 PM »
I don't quite understand the draw of using the Aqua Hot with its' high maintenance!?  Good Luck, TomC

What high maintenance are you referring to? 

I've been using mine for several years and have had only one problem, which was solved by tightening 3 screws. 

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal