Author Topic: Aqua-Hot question  (Read 18264 times)

Offline TomC

Re: Aqua-Hot question
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2011, 12:33:02 PM »
Gumpy-then you've been very lucky.  I hear complaints about the burner not working, pumps not pumping, leaks, etc-seems like at least once a month someone is writting in about some sort of problem with the Aqua Hots.  And considering their cost new-they should be trouble free.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Gary W

• Gary's Bus
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 12:34:55 PM »
I had a leak in my fresh water line in my Aqua hot.  The factory tech told me I probably didn't winterize properly. I know I did it right, they told me they would do a exchange with me for only$4000. I said no. When I cut the unit open I found a hole in the tubing. I took it to a rad shop, they said the hole was not from freezing but from the fresh water tubing rubbing against the engine coolant line. They repaired the hole and brazed a plate between the 2 coils to stop them from rubbing. I called Aquahot and sent them the pictures and asked them to repay me for the repair. They said no I voided the warranty by opening the unit.

The unit works great now with very little maintenance.

Gary

Online luvrbus

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 01:25:15 PM »
Some Aqua Hot units give few problems and some you work on all the time,I have seen the support team at the Fmca rallies and they will have a waiting list for units to be worked on.
At a Eagle rally in CO Springs of 30 buses the rep worked for 3 days I don't if he fixed all of those or not I am sure not all the Eagles had the units,I do know you could hear the owners crying over the bills lol. mine used a lot of fuel that part I did not like and fuel was only a buck a gal and I didn't like the 500 degree exhaust harness that baby and they would cheap to run 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline lostagain

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 05:05:26 PM »
I took over the hockey team's bus 5 years ago. 102D3, S60 with Webasto. It wasn't working then. I fixed it with a new nozzle and mostly rotten wiring that I fixed. It has performed for me flawlessly since with routine preventive maintenance. That's a great little heater.  I would use one if I built a conversion.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 08:17:42 PM »
Mine has been running for over 6 years with no maintenance other than nozzle replacement per the book.

Clifford, the fellow at the Colorado Springs rally was a terrible technician.  He did some work for me on an installation a few months before the rally and did not even know how to cut copper tubing with a cutter (the cutter was missing the wheel and he did not even know it!!).  Shortly after that rally, Aqua-Hot de-certified him.  You could not believe the stories David Haynes told me about him.

The service group at the rallies are mostly doing normal service (nozzle etc.) from what I can tell. 

I love my system and would not consider an alternative.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Online luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2011, 04:16:08 AM »
Jim, I know people that have very few problems with the unit mine was like Bryons it never worked when you needed it, just after mine ran out of warranty the control box quit man is Aqua Hot proud of that over 700 bucks then the float another 300 bucks,fuel pump 350 bucks just went on and on  fwiw I think Roger Berke is sharper on the units than the guys at the factory.

good luck

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2011, 06:57:11 AM »
Clifford, my unit was manufactured before they went to the "computer controlled" system.  Mine is pretty basic and I really like that - this from a guy that has based his systems on micro chip/PC board based technology ;D :o.

Without question, this technology can be very robust (my board has been running 24/7 for over 5 years in my bus and I have not had a reported failure).  That can not be said of all boards.  Sometimes the environment can be a factor.  As I recall, the control system for the Aqua-Hot is in the same area as the boiler and coolant distribution system.

Computer control systems CAN be designed for some pretty terrible environments.   One of the best examples are the ECMs on diesel engines.  That is a terrible application (heat/moisture/vibration) yet they almost never fail (the other parts do fail but not the ECM).  One adjustment to the previous statement:  Sometimes the first generation reveals flaws that are resolved in the next generation (DDEC I is probably not a product that DD is proud of).

So, what does all that minutia have to do with your comments.  I suspect that Aqua-Hot probably had some "growing pains" with their conversion to computer control - probably both board design and consideration of the environment.

Aqua-Hot has never been shy about making a profit on their replacement parts.  That can be said of almost any component in our buses.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Online luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2011, 07:07:25 AM »
Jim, my control box was outside the unit on wall,the PC board was inside another 350 bucks lol but they are good units so is the Hurricane I just never had good luck fwiw Cole ripped his Aqua Hot diesel fired unit out and had Aqua Hot build him a upgraded propane system and he loves it the unit and the service  

good luck

Offline Joe Camper

• One Stop Prevo Shop
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 07:49:34 AM »
Vehicle systems in Colorado that is the supplier for Aqua-hot is also a authorized Webasto dealer. I called the Webasto factory just this week for a price on the heat exchanger on a stand alone webasto unit. It was rotted thru and weeping antifreeze. The factory told me they could not sell to me direct but they did give me the list price for it 1600 bucks. I called vehicle systems they told me 2200. That is a ripoff period.  It leaves me looking for other sources for anything and everything they provide. I will use them last for everything.

That unqualified tech that is a result of the factorys 300 dollar service seminar programs I mentioned earlier. Show up give them 300 and you too can be an authorized service provider.

IMO if you can get a good used Auqa-hot it is worth the effort. IMO the new units are desirable but very overpriced. After getting that 600 over list price for that part I needed I will no longer trust any of their pricing.

I do have friends that do tons of buisness with them and love them.
Signing off from Cook County Ill. where the dead vote, frequently.

Online luvrbus

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 08:17:35 AM »
John at Bus Serivices in Sharon Ks will most of the time have good prices on the Webasto parts  new and used  and Roger Berke usually has decent prices on the Aqua Hot parts not always though as some he buys from Aqua Hot.Joe now you know why I got a 2700.00 bill lol  

good luck

Offline TomC

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2011, 08:24:35 AM »
Once again-lots of complaints about the cost and frequency of repairs on the AquaHots.
I like things simple-albeit it might not be the most efficient.  My water heater is two 10gal electric water heaters bought straight from Home Depot ($550.00 for the both).  The heating element is about $25.00-of which in 16 years, have never replaced them or done any maintenance-other then draining the water heaters once a year.  The two water heaters are plumbed one into the next with the last water heater wired through the inverter to stay hot while driving.
My furnace is a 35,000btu Atwood propane job-of which I just replaced since I mistakenly left the last one on for 2 weeks-and the fan motor didn't like that.  Replacement- $590.00. (I could have just replaced the fan motor, but the new furnace has a redesigned fan that is noticeably quieter then the old one).
If I need to keep my engine warm, I just put a 500 watt halogen light under the oil pan.
There is always another way of doing things-how simple or complicated you want to go is your choice.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Sean

• Geek.
  • '85 Neoplan Spaceliner "Odyssey"
    • Our Odyssey
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2011, 08:29:04 AM »
Vehicle systems in Colorado that is the supplier for Aqua-hot ...

Joe, "Vehicle Systems" changed their name to "Aqua-Hot Heating Systems" several years ago.  Lots of old literature around that still refers to the old name, but anyone looking for the company is better served searching for "Aqua Hot."

http://www.rvtradedigest.com/web/online/Industry-Product-News/Vehicle-Systems-becomes-Aqua-Hot-Heating-Systems/3$1473

-Sean

Full-timing in a 1985 Neoplan Spaceliner since 2004.
Our blog: http://OurOdyssey.BlogSpot.com

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 08:30:51 AM »
Joe, not that it matters, but the service guy I spoke of was an Aqua-Hot employee in his previous employment.   ::)

Nick has not been posting much lately - hope he is not pissed off.  I think he had access to most of the components via his business.  If my memory is correct, that would be a good source.

Jim

Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »
BTW, most of you are aware that the owners of Aqua-Hot were brutally murdered by their daughter a couple of years ago - details here:

http://www.9news.com/rss/article.aspx?storyid=132880

From all reports, he was very customer and employee oriented.  Indeed, it was reported that he was making payroll out of his personal funds when the economy tanked. 

In my opinion, the company has not been the same since Hap was murdered.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO

Online luvrbus

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 08:40:12 AM »
I just hope Aqua Hot survives under the new leader the guy that owed it before his death was a good guy and honest and David ( forgot the last name) is no longer there and he was easy to deal with also

good luck

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal