Author Topic: Wire - Stranded vs. Non-  (Read 16445 times)

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
Re: Wire - Stranded vs. Non-
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 03:38:29 PM »
The latest code I am aware of is to use thwn in an approved enclosure (conduit etc).  That will come in stranded or solid and the insulation "should not" deteriorate.

HTH

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Seayfam

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »
The latest code I am aware of is to use thwn in an approved enclosure (conduit etc).  That will come in stranded or solid and the insulation "should not" deteriorate.

HTH

Melbo

Did you mean thhn instead of thwn?  I just never heard of thwn myself. If you meant thhn then that is a stranded wire.
Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "

Offline Seayfam

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 06:51:51 PM »
I was wrong on the thhn.. it also comes in solid
Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2011, 05:29:16 AM »
THWN is for outside use and inside use --- I didn't look up what is necessary in an RV just normal code --- THWN is available like THHN in stranded or solid --- Last time I needed some they had it at Lowe's or an electric supply house.

HTH

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2011, 11:13:51 AM »
From Wikipedia :
THWN stands for "Thermoplastic High Water-resistant Nylon-coated
THHN stands for "Thermoplastic High Heat-resistant Nylon-coated

For more information, see also http://www.usawire-cable.com/pdfs/THHN_THWN.pdf

Both are gas & oil resistant. I don't believe NM romex is. Then again, If I've got oil & gas inside my coach, I probably have bigger problems than what wire I used . . . .  ::)
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline babell2

• Brice
    • My bus Blog
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2011, 11:29:56 AM »
In My conversion I will be using all Stranded. I am used to the Aviation industry and NO aircraft ever uses a solid conductor in any application. I believe it is a vibration thing. All large wiring is not only crimped but soldered after for better connection.
1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2011, 03:11:27 AM »
Yup, here we go again.... lol

This is taken from our tech archives section under Green Book.

This is why you should NOT use extention cord wire for your bus wiring...
http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/usershub/safety/documents/extensioncord.pdf

Disallowed Uses Of Extension Cords
The following uses of extension cords are not permitted at the NHMFL:
• Extension cords may not be used in place of permanent facility wiring. Cords shall not be attached to building surfaces or structural members. They shall not be permanently concealed in walls, ceilings, or under floors - including raised computer floors.
• Do not run cords through moisture, tied to over-head pipes, across traveled roads, under carpets, or across areas of high foot traffic.
• Extension cords may not be run through doors, ceilings, windows, holes in walls, or through hinged door openings in enclosures. This is to prevent “pinch” damage to the cord. If it is absolutely necessary to run an extension cord through a doorway or open window for short-term use, the cord must be protected from damage should the door or window slam shut; it must be removed immediately when no longer in use; and must not be a trip hazard.
• Do not use extension cords that are frayed, cut, or damaged such that inner conductors show, or that have outer sheaths which have pulled loose from their molded plugs exposing the inner conductors. In particular, do not use a cord that has a bare conductor exposed.
• Detachable multi-tap adapters may not be used on extension cords nor on receptacles.
• Cords may not be repaired with electrical tape, nor may tape be used for other purposes on a cord. It may conceal damage.

Cord overload and overheating:
In addition to the total electrical load, the conditions of use affect extension cord safety. Rated capacity for an extension cord assumes it will be used in an open-air and straight configuration.
As electric current passes through a wire, electrical resistance causes some voltage drop and heating of the wire. Coiling or winding excess cord length can concentrate this heat and overheat the cord. Similarly, covering a cord with a rug or rag can trap heat and overheat the cord. This trapped heat can damage the cord and lead to a fire. Tying a knot in a cord can have a similar outcome.
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2011, 05:07:39 AM »
I've been away for a few days and missed all the fun.  A couple of comments;

THHN, THWN and hundreds of others are insulation types and have nothing to do with cable types.  They are only of concern if you are wiring in conduit. What we are interested in is the CABLE TYPE.  Type NM (Romex) or type MC (Metal Clad, similar to BX) are what we commonly use.

Fred Hobe is a very talented bus builder and I have long admired his workmanship and common sense approach.  However, I very strongly disagree with his use of extension cords for wiring.  If I ever bought one of his conversions, I would have to rewire it before I could sleep in it.

Dennis,
There is no RVIA book, it is the NFPA 1192, Standard On Recreational Vehicles, published by the same people who publish the National Electric Code.  It has nothing to do with the manufacturers and does not cover AC wiring.  It does cover low voltage wiring (stranded), plumbing, propane, ventilation, etc., and would be a very valuable and inexpensive ($40.00) addition to any bus converters library.

Whether to use stranded or solid wire for your AC wiring depends on whether you have separate waste tanks or a single tank  :)

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2011, 06:16:42 AM »
Technically speaking, is an "extension cord" still an extension cord if you cut the ends off and permanently wire it and fasten it in place?  I suspect that it is not.  At that point it becomes "wire" of a particular type and with whatever approvals it carries.  I bet the rules related to extension cords don't cover the use of "extension cord wire". 

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2011, 09:39:50 AM »
Technically speaking, is an "extension cord" still an extension cord if you cut the ends off and permanently wire it and fasten it in place?  I suspect that it is not.  At that point it becomes "wire" of a particular type and with whatever approvals it carries.  I bet the rules related to extension cords don't cover the use of "extension cord wire". 

Brian

It has nothing to do with whether or not it is called an extension cord or "cord set" in NEC speak, it is the cable type which is not permitted.  Extension cords are typically type SJ  and it's many variations, (SJE, SJO, SJEO etc.

Article 400-8 is what prohibits their use.

It's not really a subject for debate.  It's use is against the NEC.  Whether or not you choose to follow that code is your business.  You will not go to jail.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2011, 09:45:48 AM »
that's interesting.  I knew the use of the cable type wasn't allowed, I just didn't know if there were separate rules for extension cords.  I guess you can get or make extension cords of different kinds of cable other than the typical.  I make extension cords of different types of cable sometimes, for example for the 30 amp cable to a generator.  Regardless of the cable type, I don't think you can run them through doors permanently, or all the other restrictions.  Those are use restrictions, not just cable type restrictions.

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2011, 10:44:05 AM »
To this uneducated person if I saw a extension cord used as wiring I would think it was a cheap move and not trust the rest of the conversion Quality.  Being proper for a particular use in the mind of a uneducated potential buyer;might question the rest of the systems. After finding a brown 2 wire cord in present project(a pro converted coach) I replaced all of those areas and Questioned the rest of the conversion.   The use or non use is perceived application decision. I use stranded run in conduit. Price difference is very minor between the two.  Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
When I got my bus home, the ac wiring was extension cords and power bars...  everywhere!  Step one, complete rewire...

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2011, 01:00:03 PM »
You guys need to spend a few hours at a converter for the buses they make a wiring harness on a long board for that floor plan tie strap it together and go throw the harness in put a few tie downs and off to races, same with the ac side except they install it on the opposite side and sometimes they don't even do that 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal