Author Topic: Sad & Honored @ the same time.  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Sad & Honored @ the same time.
« on: January 23, 2011, 09:47:50 PM »
As many of you know I carry a group to MO Special Olympics several times a yr. (just starting yr # 4)

Well an 11 yr old boy from that group passed away and I am honored to be allowed to give him hi "final ride"  on one of my buses!
;D  BK  ;D

Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline trucktramp

Re: Sad & Honored @ the same time.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 12:01:02 AM »
Wow, what an honor for you.  I guess that would be the ultimate compliment that anyone could get.  Very humbling, I'm sure.
Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 05:50:05 AM »
This humbling honor will be remembered forever by You BK.  consider have a special plaque made one day in his honor and mount it with a cross or something on the plaque and mount it inside the front of your bus.  I am sure this little special man will remember and do all he can to protect you and your passengers on your trips.  Just a thought.  Also a photo of him in a nice plaque also within this plaque also would be humbling on your part to remember him as you just did today on this post.

You're a good fellow BK, give my best to your special parents.  Safe driving.  If you do this, post a photo of the Plaque for us all to enjoy viewing. 

Garylee
Gary

Offline Runcutter

• Runcutter.com
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 06:42:12 AM »
Bryce, one of the most difficult charters I ever drove was driving a group to the Special Olympics from their large group facility.  When I got back, I talked with the dispatcher - I was in college, had a future to look forward to, and it was quite difficult for me to know that their options were so limited.  I still remember the dispatcher (who, himself was a ministry student), telling me to look at it differently --- focus on the amount of fun the "kids" had at the games - and that it was unlikely they were focused on what they could not do (the way I was). 

I suspect this one will be much harder for you to drive, than that one was for me.  Thinking about the fun he had, and that you were a part of, may help.

Arthur 
Arthur Gaudet    Carrollton (Dallas area) Texas 
Former owner of a 1968 PD-4107

Working in the bus industry provides us a great opportunity - to be of service to others

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:29:38 AM »
(((hugs))) It is really sad, but most kids who are born with disabilities that are not curable do die early...... but from what I have been told, most at least get to live to about 30 years old.
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Way to go BK.  We need more people in this world to be strong enough to do the right things.

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline chris4905

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »
I have three words to say to you BK........"Your The Man" !!!

If I ever meet you, may I have the privilege of shaking your hand ?

Chris
Chris & Cheryl Christensen
Ex-Bus Owners
Eagle, Idaho

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »
Sure would love to see this wonderful experience from a distance. If appropriate, and approved by the family, us fellow bus nuts sure would like to experience your honor as well. Keep us posted.

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »
BK, what you have done must have been a big thing in this young person's life and much appreciated by the people who love him.  This is a real honor.  If it's possible to get appropriate and respectful photos, I'd love to see them too.  Sometimes you bless people and sometimes people bless you ... and sometimes it's just all together.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 02:17:07 PM »

I can tell you from my own experience that they don't get any better than the one and only BK.

great guy

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline ruthi

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 04:24:09 PM »
That is an honor. When I was younger, I worked with children like that. It is amazing to see the world thru their eyes. They certainly see it differently from us. The first one that I worked with that passed, really took it out of me, but, she never, not one day felt sorry for herself, but lived for each day.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 07:09:27 PM »
I will keep you guys posted. I am waiting to see the news paper article that comes out in tomorrow in the Sikeston Democrat Paper so I can add a link to it also.

I was a very stressful, long, emotional day. But the rewards were overwhelming, and the best part of it all!

As I arrived @ the funeral home this AM Ricky's mom and several others were standing around outside talking, having a cigarette and what ever and all were pleased to see me with big smiles and waves.

The funeral director stepped up on the bus and was surveying it as my sister was helping me get my tie adjusted (yes I even wore a tie for this one and only occasion! and I told everyone that mentioned it "better take a picture, chances are you'll never see it again! ** at least not while I'm alive! ** " ;) )
As soon as we finished with my tie the director said "well I just don't think it's going to work...the door is no where big enough and even if it were I don't see getting him up and in here!"
I was stunned slightly, but quickly responded to him "Oh there is plenty of room, let me show you!"
SO I stepped out and started opening luggage bays and he said "Well I don't see a problem with fitting him in a cargo compartment, but your going to have to work that out with the mother, I won't get involved in that one!"

Right then Sally (Ricky's mother) came up and hugged me and told me "Thank you so much for doing this, you really don't know how much this means to me. I am so glad he doesn't have to ride in a hearse!"

I just looked @ the director and smiled as I told her
"NO........THANK YOU! ! ! for allowing me the HONOR of doing this and being able to give Ricky one last ride! This is an honor and pleasure to me, I'm the one who is thankful for the opportunity to do this for RICKY!"
She also noted how big of a "kick" Ricky would have gotten out of being able to ride in the luggage bay. And I jokingly told her "there had been several times he'd come close to being put under there!" and we both laughed! (Ricky was a great kid with a huge heart and desire to learn. His one weakness was that sometimes he had a bad day and would throw huge tantrums! We saw one just about every time we were headed home on a trip. He loved the bus, and going on it and the Special Olympics, but he hated it when it was almost over and time to go home!)
With that the funeral director said "well that is settled let's see where we can put you so you can get out."
I told him "Hey wherever you want me, I can put it there. As long as there is no low clearances I can co anywhere your Cadillac (hearse) can go!"
He looked at me in surprise and said "Well OK then let me move the hearse & put you there. It will load from either side won't it?"

I told him sure not problem.

After the ceremony I made my way out to the bus and opened it and the luggage bays up. As I was doing this a young lady came up and introduced herself and told me she was from the local paper and she thought it was a great thing I was doing. I told her "look I'm the one who is thankful that I am being allowed to do this one last thing for Ricky, this is an honor for me to be able to do it!"

As we waited for the pall bearers to bring him out to the bus many many people (some I knew, but many I did not!) came up to me and either hugged or shook my had and thanked me or told me what a great thing I was doing. And Again I had to tell each and everyone of them "It was I, who was thankful to have the honor of being able to do this, and no thanks was necessary for me."

Ricky's mom came up and started to thank me again and I stopped her and told her the same thing again. I introduced her to the reporter, and they both said they had spoke earlier. And at that time I told Sally with her permission I would like to honor Ricky with a memorial on the bus and our website with pictures and a little story about him and this. She said that would be AWESOME and yes you have my permission! (AWESOME was Ricky's favorite word or expression!)

SO I will post pics here, and on our site and a link to the article.
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 07:54:59 PM »
I don't know how to put into words my response. But sufficeth to say BK, you are a great American.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 04:55:55 AM »
AWESOME!!!
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline libby

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 05:30:04 AM »
Bryce, cody and I have known you for a long time, we've stayed at your place and have sat and enjoyed not only your company but that of your entire family many times, we're pleased but not surprised at any of this, your entire family has a heart that is second to none, for you to do this is truly an honor but only reflects who you and your family are, we can truly appreciate the feelings you are sharing because cody and I have spent a great deal of time over the last several years providing the music for benefits for people that have needed help, it's humbling to watch as lives are changed and to realize what small part a person has played in that, we've grown close to several of the children we've met over the years and luckily all of them are still doing well.  Cody has stated several times that when his time comes he wants to be buried in his bus so don't be surprised if at some point in the future you'll be asked to be a pallbearer, he'll need several strong people to carry the bus.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 05:46:02 AM »
BK,
   This is truly an event you will cherish forever.  Years ago, a rodeo we were participating in had a "Special Rodeo". Each child was teamed with a cowboy or cowgirl. My partner was a boy named Chad that had Downs Syndrome.  We helped them rope a roping dummy, then they rode a bucking bull and bucking horse (think fancy rocking horse). Then they rode a stick horse through a small barrel race pattern.  When they were done, their picture was taken with their "partner" sitting on a bale of hay in front of a Silver Spurs Rodeo sign. We were given a copy of the picture. I still have that photograph.  As was already mentioned, they do not look at what they cannot do, only what they can do. When we were done, Chad thanked me for being his "partner". I told him it was a honor to have him as my "partner".  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Busted Knuckle

www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 06:23:08 PM »
Thanks for sharing, BK. That would be a very tough time, but such an honor.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 07:39:35 PM »
Thanks letting us know Knuckle.  Please accept my condolences on the loss of this fine young man.  And what an honor to take him on his final ride.  I'm sure you will be blessed by this service. 

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline MikeH

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
BK,

Truly a great story, reflecting what a great guy you are! Congrats on receiving this honor. Please be sure and post a picture of your plaque when you get it made.

Mike

(BTW, when I clicked on the link for the news story, I could only read the first paragraph. You have to subscribe online to read the entire article. Bummer.)

"It just ain't fair! How come the good guys always win?" -Bad Jack Cutter

Offline brando4905

• Clean Vibes,LLC--Event Waste and Recycling Services
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 04:53:37 AM »
BK,

I just caught up on this thread,  :'(.

The world needs more kind folks like you, BK.

R.I.P. Ricky.
1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan

HighTechRedneck

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 06:12:01 AM »
What a great honor they did for you and you did for them BK!  I'm sure that day will be one of your cherished moments the rest of your life.

We've discussed it and since Ricky had such a love of buses and through your kindness was given such a wonderful final bus ride, we feel he was a bus nut in his own way.  So when you post his memorial, after it has its run on the main board we'll move it to the Final Arrival board.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal