Author Topic: We are looking to buy a converted bus asap.  (Read 14282 times)

Offline Nellie Wilson

Re: We are looking to buy a converted bus asap.
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »
Hi Cerise -

Just a heads up - sent you a PM tonite re: the US-Canadian debacle and possible solution.

Nellie
Had to change a tire... >:(  got to put it on backward... :-\  still trying to fix it on photoshop... ??? ::) ???

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2011, 09:10:29 PM »
It is very unfortunate that you feel under pressure to buy quickly.  My wife and I were amped up and ready to go the minute we decided we wanted a bus.  That was about a year and a half ago and we are still looking today... and NOT because we are indecisive or gun shy, believe me.  We have had 3 deals fall through and 2 or 3 offers turned down. 

That being said, I hate to admit this, but must...  I have actually needed all of the time I have had to look, to learn, and discern what kind of bus we really want, need, and can afford; not only from a purchase standpoint, but from a maintenance and upgrade standpoint. 

We also have been able to get a much better feel for the true value of a bus in today's market.  Believe me, it is easy to have your perspective skewed by ridiculously high asking prices for buses on websites that are 3, 4, 5+ years old and by cheap buses that will cost many times the purchase price to get back on the road.  Like others have said, there are plenty of buses out there and many more people selling than buying. 

I can't speak to your importing issues, and don't know how that affects your mindset, but just thought I should offer my opinion.
1992 Wanderlodge PT-40, 1960 PD-4104
Albemarle, NC

Offline Nellie Wilson

« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »
Hi Jumpsuitman -

Read your post and couldn't help reflecting on my bus search. Hot to trot and dumber 'n sheep sh*t... but by the grace of God, the fates and pure dumb luck, my hell-bent race to disaster was periodically scuttled . Like you, took over a year but well worth it. Learned a lot just by getting (I thought then) screwed... sometimes the worst thing is the best thing.

My case? Decided on a 5C - latest bus in the single axle series, next to zero rust, no electronics or d**n tag axle (and all that entails).  Yeah, sometimes that extra 5 feet looks good, but the maneuvarability and mileage way makes up for it.  Always a trade-off, I guess... wanna race, anyone?  ;D

Just my two cents.

Nellie

Had to change a tire... >:(  got to put it on backward... :-\  still trying to fix it on photoshop... ??? ::) ???

Offline Paso One

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »
Saskatchewan Transportation ran new M-15's with SS sides.  Nice Eagles.

Yes that is correct I remember it causing quite a controversy back then as I believe some of our pollutions were bribed :)

Can you believe that  :)

Spell check changed politicians to pollutions I think I like it better :)
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Offline Seayfam

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2011, 05:53:33 PM »
Hi, We live in Alberta, Canada and are finding it frustrating to import from the US, that's were there seems to be more inventory.  It is our plan to live aboard for a few years and would like to get one that is complete.  If you have an older model that would import please let me know, or if you have a nice one anywhere in Canada please contact me with your bus information. We have the cash we just can't find the bus, and time is running out as we would like to be relocated before spring.
Thanks for helping.

cerise115@hotmail.com

Hi Cerise,
Just wondering what you have found out. This seems to have been a hot topic, you must have got 100 emails by now.
Just curious

Gary
Gary Seay (location Alaska)
1969 MCI MC-6 unit# 20006
8V92 turbo 740 auto
more pics and information here     "  www.my69mci-6.blogspot.com  "

Offline justin25taylor

• 1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2011, 06:07:49 PM »
If you find out if you can import an Eagle, I know of a 1972 model 05 8V71/4 speed with power steering, bus air, new tires, and new Martin 15KW generator.
It is an entertainer so some bunks would need to be pulled. It does have a bathroom and shower though. If you can find any rust on it, I'll eat it  ;)
Bus is full of fuel and ready to drive anywhere.

(Sure hope I am not breaking the rules by posting this info)

Contact info in my profile.

Best,
Justin

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »
For the right price there are a lot of nice rides for sale around here!
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline justin25taylor

• 1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
For the right price there are a lot of nice rides for sale around here!

It is surely a buyers market right now. To avoid any confusion, the bus I mentioned for sale is not mine. (I have driven it for years though)

Good Luck. I hope you find something that works for you. I am near Austin and would be happy to go look at anything you find in this area if it helps.

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2011, 04:44:26 AM »
Nellie, bus races, cool! Maybe we could do a segment for Top Gear UK.......ummm, maybe not. Those guys are a little hard on a lot of the vehicles on that show. ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline DMoedave

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2011, 05:22:09 AM »
I have wanted to see some timed drag races for buses at the Arcadia rally for years! Must be an local airport runway or something close!  No trailered rigs allowed haha.
we love our buses!!! NE Pa or LI NY, or somewhere in between!

Offline scanzel

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
Prevost is made in Canada, maybe with a Prevost it won't be as hard. You might check with Prevost directly and the DMV.
Steve Canzellarini
Myrtle Beach, SC
1989 Prevost XL

Offline bebackbus

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »
look at my bus at craigslist yuma az.  We are fulltimers and don't need two busses.  will deal

Offline Nellie Wilson

« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 12:59:35 AM »
Ed & Dave - Imagine how sloooooow we'd be coming off the mark? I can barely spin one tire (and that's only in snow). But it would be great fun (I'm guessing 40 mph in 1/4 mile). Without some serious bumpin' (and who'd risk that) probably not a great TV attraction.

Hey, this thread got way off-track (unusual :). Anyone heard from the poster (Cerise)?

Nellie

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 10:35:40 AM »
BeBack -

Which one is yours?  There are several listed?

GM, MCI, Eagle?

??? ???
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal