Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Chat
« on: April 16, 2006, 03:49:23 AM »
Dallas has agreed to be our chat room overseer & moderator!  Thanks Dallas   ;D

Glad to have you on board.

We are testing a system now - if it works - it shouldn't be very long before chat is here! 

Thanks to all for participating & making this a great community.

Best Regards, and Happy Easter!

Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

El-Sonador

Re: Chat
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 04:35:58 AM »
We are testing a system now - if it works - it shouldn't be very long before chat is here! 
Phil

I didn't know you folks were adding a Chatroom intergraded into this board... Great idea!

But did you know that most Chatrooms are written in a computer language that is called JAVA and uses up bandwidth like crazy... The only reason I mention this is in conjuction with a poll now being conducted in another topic called POLL- FOR SALE section! to see it GOTO... http://www.busconversions.com/bbs/index.php?topic=183.0

In that poll, there seems to be a need to recover some cost attributed with adding another Topic called BUY-SALE-TRADE. Chatroom programs will use and cost 1,000 times more in bandwidth than adding a BUY-SALE-TRADE topic to an already existing BB.

So do you folks plan to charge for the Chatroom also... and if so, will it be a 1,000 times more than the cost of adding the new BUY-SALE-TRADE topic... ?

Steve

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 04:54:48 AM »
First, WELCOME ABORD " DALLAS"

If you need any help, just let me know!!

nick-

Wow! Steve,

Seems a little Brutal!

But, No charge for CHAT!!!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

El-Sonador

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 05:08:57 AM »
Wow! Steve,
Seems a little Brutal!
But, No charge for CHAT!!!
Nick-
In NO WAY did I mean for it to be a "Brutal" comment Nick...

I was only pointing out the true relativite cost between the cost of operating a Chat Room and adding a New BUY-SALE-TRADE Topic.

I would of hoped that "IF" any Brutality was seen, it would be as being attributed to the facts and relative cost between the two added services you plan and not done by me...

I don't operate like that...  :)

Sorry if you took it the wrong way.

Steve

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 05:34:05 AM »
Steve,

I know MAK has spent $$ for more band width, and other things to come.

I just wouldn't want to loose what we have here because, we couldn't afford to float anymore

There is also a lot of time and effort invested by MAK, Phil, myself, and others at no fee!

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

El-Sonador

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 05:59:50 AM »
Steve,
I know MAK has spent $$ for more band width, and other things to come.
I just wouldn't want to loose what we have here because, we couldn't afford to float anymore
There is also a lot of time and effort invested by MAK, Phil, myself, and others at no fee!
Nick-

I'm sure we all do realize the cost and effort that goes into running the MAK Entire WebSite Nick, a lot of your members face the same concerns as they too operate their own web sites. I for one would not want to see this section of the Mak Web Site go down either. As you know, it has been very helpful to me over the last few years that I have been coming here and I hope that I have helped others in the past and will continue to help other members in return in the future.

My main concern, and it is truly for the survival of this board, is that if the decision is made to charge, it will hurt the board and the more that is charged, the more it will hurt, even to the point that it will spawn competition or enhance any existing competition out there now.

I have seen it all toooooooo often, that when a web site turns to charging their own members, the web site suffers and in most cases folds as a direct result of the charges. There is an old English expression that goes something like... Cut you nose off just to spite your face

I am a loyal fan of this site and I would hate to see the possibility of that happening here.

Steve

Dallas

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 06:42:02 AM »
Well,
Anyway,
Thanks all for your support.
I'll try to do as good a job as Phil, Nick, Mike and all the others have.
Dallas

El-Sonador

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 07:03:19 AM »
Phil

Hey Dallas...

I'm pleased that we are getting a Chat Room and that you have been choosen to help out.

Sorry if Nick & I got off topic a bit here.  ;) ;) ;)

Looking forward to you as being the new chat room Mod. I'm sure you will do a great job.

Steve

Dallas

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 08:03:02 AM »
Thanks Steve,
Oh, and let me get my whip and electric cattle prod! Lol
Dallas
Yer humble serant

Phil

Hey Dallas...

I'm pleased that we are getting a Chat Room and that you have been choosen to help out.

Looking forward to you as being the new chat room Mod. I'm sure you will do a great job.

Steve

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2006, 10:05:03 AM »
Thanks Steve,
Oh, and let me get my whip and electric cattle prod! Lol
Dallas
Yer humble serant

Phil

Hey Dallas...

Steve

Thanks for all the good feedback - Steve, Nick, Dallas, and others!

I'm pretty sure that Nick just meant the resource usage was brutal.  Not the comment in general.  Constructive thoughts and suggestions are always welcome here!   ;D  ;D  ;D

We are closely watching bandwidth, hits, etc..  A LOT of the bandwidth was still being consumed by hits from spammers hitting the old site.  This is tailing off.   :)    Board usage is increasing.  Which is a good thing. 

While software is free, we actually donate to support simple machines forum, this gets us support and other features.  There are other costs as well - automated database backup software, etc.. But really, nothing more than maintaining a professional environment for our members!  This is a blessing.  Two bandwidth upgrades so far, but it looks like we are at a good spot right now as far as resource consumption, with room to grow.

I've heard no comments or plans about charging for chat, board usage, etc.,

Yes, this chat room software is indeed java based.  But - we are keeping a close eye on this as well.  Final decision hasn't been made on whether this is the final package we will use for chat, but it really integrates nicely with the board, with a few fun features as well.

The software being looked at for parts sales will automate most of the burden of ad placement & any fee collection.  More later.  This project won't really kick in until the chat room has stabilized.  So, plenty of time for all to weigh in on the subject.   ;D

Hope this helps, and thanks to all for participating!!!

Kind Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal