Author Topic: Interesting Bus: Articulated Crown  (Read 5563 times)

Offline wildbob24

Interesting Bus: Articulated Crown
« on: February 06, 2011, 07:29:22 AM »
I didn't know they made any of these:

http://tinyurl.com/arti-crown

Bob
P8M4905A-1308, 8V71 w/V730
Custom Coach Conversion
PD4106-2546, 8V71, 4sp
Greenville, GA

Offline TomC

Re: Interesting Bus: Articulated Crown
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 08:11:47 AM »
Really interesting!  Since the engine is in the front-it is considered a motorhome pulling a trailers and legal in most states (as compared to the rear engined ones that are restricted to city use only).  Would make a very interesting motorhome-or one with a garage in the back for a car.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 08:18:25 AM »
That is the only one Crown ever built a friend of mine in Lake Havasu owned it for a few years came with Hall-Scott( 2 miles per gal ) gas engine has been changed to diesel I was told a neat bus

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 08:35:31 AM »
That is the only one Crown ever built a friend of mine in Lake Havasu owned it for a few years came with Hall-Scott( 2 miles per gal ) gas engine has been changed to diesel I was told a neat bus

good luck

Assuming you were "crazy enough" to purchase it (remember this is a bus NUTS board), how would you get it home ... What did Sonny do, assume the payments on Williams' bus?

BCO

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 10:28:24 AM »
VERY interesting!   I wonder if this is one of the two home-made articulated Crowns that were made by Fred Wagener of Coast Counties Charter?   If so, it's as rare as the sole articulated RTS.   The story is that one of these two DIY bendy-Crowns was made from two low-deck AEC Crowns (the so-called Atomic Crowns used to ferry nuclear workers in Idaho), one of which had rear-ended the other;  the other articulated Crown was made from two deck-and-a half Crowns tour buses that had been used by Tanner Grey Line in the 1950s.   Apparently a bendy-Crown had started to be converted into an RV in Oregon, but it was then discovered that it was not road-legal, at least in Oregon  -  is this eBay Crown that bus?   Because these two DIY bendy-buses predated the Crown/Ikarus 286 articulated buses used by several municipalities in the 1980s, I assume they used a simple joint like a truck/trailer's, instead of the complex systems used by the European factories like Kassbohrer, Ikarus and MAN.

If this eBay Crown is one of the two from CCC, it was re-engined with a Cummins 262 and a 10-speed Road Ranger.   Still, that would have been a lot of weight for that engine to move.   I wonder how much load is on the driving axle?

For a time Patrick Young had the remains of a deck-and-a-half DIY articulated Crown at his yard near Fresno  -  imagine it as a mid-engine bendy-Scenicruiser!   I can't remember if his was the other DIY bendy-Crown from CCC.   After finding no buyers for it he scrapped it.   It was still in his yard when I bought my bus from him.   Too bad nobody could have saved that one from the crusher.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline HB of CJ

Really, Really Interesting!
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 12:20:42 PM »
It would appear to have the later style rear tail/brake/backup lights (post '67 or soos), but also appears to have the earlier trunk doors with the individual, low tail lights.  The wheel wells also appear to be earlier toos also.

Also the high front windshield and four (4) headlights are correct for the stated year.  Very interesting indeed.  If it does indeed have a 262 Cummums with the 10 speed (probably either a RT or RTO 910), then it should go OK.

HB of CJ (old coot) (FORMER Crown Supercoach owner) :( :( :(

Offline Red Rider

• God put me here to accomplish certain things--- I'm so far behind I'll never die.
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »
This Bus lives just three miles from my house. I'd be happy to take any specific question directly to the owner and could post answers on this thread.
Mike AKA; Red Rider 4106-1885

Offline Boomer

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »
I believe that's the one CCC did.  Wondered what happened to it.  The back of the trailer looks just like my '65 ex Atomic.  I presume Idaho Engineering Lab specced all their Crowns of that era with the same rear lighting and trunk.  Kind of weird, but only the RH door of my trunk opens.
'81 Eagle 15/45, NO MORE
'47 GM PD3751-438, NO MORE
'65 Crown Atomic, NO MORE
'48 Kenworth W-1 highway coach, NO MORE
'93 Vogue IV, NO MORE
1964 PD4106-2846
Vancouver, WA USA

Offline mumeo

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
Hi guys, I'm brand new to this thread,
and just so happened to have come upon this exact same bus.

and i'm thinking about turning it into a roving road show.   building a stage next to it (potentially attached in a clever way)  and taking it on the road. 

i'm a skilled builder, have built 6 houses, and a number of restaurants.   i have a full machine shop at my disposal, and several large CNC machines.   

i'd like to do a really nice job of it.   have something really special in mind.

what do you think?   

is it a wise move?   

has so much character.   i can just hardly resist. 

Offline Iceni John

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 10:22:11 PM »
You may want to join Crown Coach Junkies.   There are folk there who know A LOT about weird oddities like this bus, and they may be able to give you more info than my few snippets.

Definitely Caveat Emptor.

John
1990 Crown 2R-40N-552 (the Super II):  6V92TAC / DDEC II / Jake,  HT740.     Hecho en Chino.
2kW of tiltable solar.
Behind the Orange Curtain, SoCal.

Offline mumeo

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
thanks, just signed up.   looking forward to getting in there.  :)

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 07:13:40 AM »
Kind of a moot point since that bus was sold in Feb. unless you bought it or it is on the market again. :)
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal