Author Topic: What do I need to check on brakes with auto-slacks?  (Read 7703 times)

belfert

What do I need to check on brakes with auto-slacks?
« on: September 11, 2006, 10:59:21 AM »
I found out my Dina has auto slack adjusters on it.  What do I need to be checking on the brakes on a regular basis to keep them working well?

C & J Bus Repair is going to recheck the brakes now that I have several hundred miles since they overhauled the brakes.  I was going to pay them to show me how to adjust the manual slack adjusters, but I guess no need now.

Brian Elfert

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
Re: What do I need to check on brakes with auto-slacks?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 11:11:32 AM »
From what I've gleaned in the past you simply need to be checking the travel of each push rod to make sure they are all adjusting equally and not exceeding the travel limits as defined by the DOT -- J.D. has those reqs for you as well.

So, does this mean you are going to be taking you bus on the trip out west?

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 11:14:11 AM »
Brian

When you are at C & J ask JD to show you (or have one of his guys) how to adjust YOUR particular slack adjusters (even though they are automatic they can still be done manually if needed! & different ones have slightly different procedures although it's pretty much the same) that way you'll know the correct way for the type you have! Now you don't have to manually adjust them unless you notice a difference in the stopping performance of them while driving! I always run down tight (and here's where they differ) release the catch and back them off 3/8 of a turn and yer adjusted as per the way they should be if working properly! HTH FWIW ! BK ;D

Also what Brian Diehl says applies too!
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

belfert

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 11:24:50 AM »
From what I've gleaned in the past you simply need to be checking the travel of each push rod to make sure they are all adjusting equally and not exceeding the travel limits as defined by the DOT -- J.D. has those reqs for you as well.

So, does this mean you are going to be taking you bus on the trip out west?

The trip out west really depends on how much can get done in the next two weeks.  The shower is half installed, all electrical panels are in place and partially wired.  The plumbing is barely started.  My new generator needs to get picked up today and hopefully up and running Thursday.

I drove the bus around 150 miles Saturday and am not happy with the temps the bus is running at.  I'm seeing 200 degrees on the gauge on normal roads.  The Detroit dealer in Youngstown, OH said the gauge is reading 8 degrees or so high.  I am quite worried about what happens once I hit the grades in the Rockies.  I had hoped all the repairs and opening the air intake would help the overheating.

Brian Elfert

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 11:40:31 AM »
The trip out west really depends on how much can get done in the next two weeks.  The shower is half installed, all electrical panels are in place and partially wired.  The plumbing is barely started.  My new generator needs to get picked up today and hopefully up and running Thursday.

I drove the bus around 150 miles Saturday and am not happy with the temps the bus is running at.  I'm seeing 200 degrees on the gauge on normal roads.  The Detroit dealer in Youngstown, OH said the gauge is reading 8 degrees or so high.  I am quite worried about what happens once I hit the grades in the Rockies.  I had hoped all the repairs and opening the air intake would help the overheating.
Brian Elfert

Brian first off I'd say take Devin up on his offer, you might have just found a new friend who's not into rockets but is interested in helping you out with this project! Now second is when you say "normal roads" are you talking out crusing down the Interstate for a period of 30 mins to an hr or more, or are you talking around town starting stopping, 10-15 miles of HWY speeds back to traffic conditions or what?
I drove one of Bobby's '99 Renisances this week-end it also has a 60 series  in it and it stayed up in the 200* range on the HWY and showed slightly warmer in traffic, I called and he told me that is "normal operating temps in ALL his buses!" ( for the record 2 '99 Renisances, 2 Dina's '97 &'98 (I believe) '99 Van Hoole 2140, '99 Prevost H3-45 All equipped with 60 series engines and Allison B-500 transmissions!) FWIW HTH !!! BK  ;D 
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

belfert

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 12:21:45 PM »

Brian first off I'd say take Devin up on his offer, you might have just found a new friend who's not into rockets but is interested in helping you out

Devin's offer is very generous, but the 4 or 5 hour trip each way would eat up nearly a day's worth of time I can use to work on the bus.

with this project! Now second is when you say "normal roads" are you talking out crusing down the Interstate for a period of 30 mins to an hr or more, or are you talking around town starting stopping, 10-15 miles of HWY speeds back to traffic conditions or what?
I drove one of Bobby's '99 Renisances this week-end it also has a 60 series  in it and it stayed up in the 200* range on the HWY and showed slightly warmer in traffic, I called and he told me that is "normal operating temps in ALL his buses!" ( for the record 2 '99 Renisances, 2 Dina's '97 &'98 (I believe) '99 Van Hoole 2140, '99 Prevost H3-45 All equipped with 60 series engines and Allison B-500 transmissions!) FWIW HTH !!! BK  ;D 

I don't recall the road conditions when I was seeing 200 degrees.  My trip was 1/3 interstate and the rest 55 MPH highways over at least 150 miles.  The light on my gauge is broke so I don't know how hot it got climbing the one hill after dark.

I just talked to JD over at C&J and he says to put a mechanical gauge on it.  I'll probably have them do it as I just don't have the time (or expertise really) right now.

Brian Elfert

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 12:34:47 PM »
Devin's offer is very generous, but the 4 or 5 hour trip each way would eat up nearly a day's worth of time I can use to work on the bus.

I agree with JD & as far as the drive to Devin's ever thought about driv'n up friday night home on sunday? (don't forget yer sleep'n bag!) BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 03:40:35 PM »
My dash guage reads 35 degrees low.  145 on the guage = 180 true.  I installed some manual guages, mounted them in a box and pointed a video camera at them.  I wired that camera into the #2 camera port on my backup monitor.  I push a button on the monitor to switch between backup and oil pressure/temp guages.  It's as good as having manual guages sitting right in front of you.  No guess work as far as temps go, although most of the time I just make sure the dash guage stays below 145.  If it starts creeping, I switch to the video guages.

You also might want to try water wetter.  It works well.  Should drop your temps by about 10 degrees on a 50/50 mix, even more on straight water.

Ross

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2006, 04:00:41 PM »
Water wetter?  ??? BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2006, 05:00:01 PM »
Water wetter?  ??? BK  ;D

Here's a web site...Good stuff.  I just added some for the trip south. Some peeps say that dish soap does the same thing.  I don't know about that, but I do know that Water wetter works.

http://www.redlineoil.com/products_coolant.asp?subCategoryID=4

Offline prevost82

• 82 Prevost 8V92ta 6 speed
  • 82 Prevost Marathon XL
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2006, 08:46:07 AM »
You're right Ross I have Water wetter in my rad, it works great.
Ron

Offline akroyaleagle

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2006, 09:27:43 AM »
Auto slack adjusters should be checked for the same things as manual adjusters.
Condition of blocks, travel, grease and leaks. Make sure to check the lines for damage also.

Periodically, depending on your driving habits, stop the bus on a level spot.
Keep the spring brake released and make several (6 0r 7) full applications on the brake pedal.
This will ratchet the adjusters down as needed. That's how auto adjusters work.

Knowledgable truckers do it before approaching a DOT check or prior some long descents in the Rockies.
Joe Laird
'78 Eagle
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2006, 11:20:30 AM »
Hello Brian.

The manufacturer of your automatic slack adjusters will be the best and most accurate source of information.

Follow the directions and you'll be fine. Out in the commercial world, there are simply too many myths and wrong procedures being followed in regard to these devices, because no one will read the darn manuals or follow them. Mix in a healthy mistrust of these devices due to this self-inflicted situation, and a busnut may receive conflicting advice as to what to do.

We are well into the later generations of these devices, so even within the same manufacturer, there are differences between versions.

Some auto slacks will have their mechanisms defeated by attempts to adjust manually, rendering them unreliable.

Your goal is for the device to be properly installed, lubricated on schedule, measured for compliant stroke regularly, and to live out the mileage of the brake lining without ever having a wrench put on it.

Good luck to us all!

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal