Author Topic: Bus Busted at RV Pump in AZ  (Read 12971 times)

Offline luvrbus

Re: Bus Busted at RV Pump in AZ
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
BarnOwl I think the 3 axles sets the alarm off myself JMHO that is the only 2 they got 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 10:32:19 AM »
All over the pumps Don" Do Not Dispense" over 26,000 lbs, 2 axles or mobile fuel tanks I have done it for years being I hate the nasty truck islands and Rod they were converted coaches

good luck

Now-Now Clifford, you know that Okies cannot read.  (We had one that could, but Missouri kidnapped him to make him a school teacher)  Never knew it was on the pump and that is for sure.  I do carry an extra pair of tennis shoes for the nasty truck islands, it is a great idea.  I once saw a trucker empty a porta-potty into a 50 gallon trashcan at a truckstop, and believe me, that gives a totally new meaning to "nasty."

If I am caught ... I will give the Okie defense .... "Uh, I didn't know."

BCO

Offline belfert

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
When I drove my bus home when I bought it I stopped in Indiana to buy fuel at Flying J.  I went inside and asked the clerk if I could buy taxed fuel at the truck island.  She said yes so I went and filled up.  I saw another clerk to pay and she had a fit that I had bought fuel without an IFTA number.  She said there was no way to charge me the tax and she made me fill out and sign some form.  I thought I might get a bill from the state or something, but nothing.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline somewhereinusa

• somewhereinUSA
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 12:29:40 PM »
Is that 26,500 actual weight or GVW? If it is actual, do they weigh you or just say"That looks like over 26,000 lbs?
1991 Bluebird AARE
1999 Ford Ranger
Andrews,IN

Offline John316

• MCI 1995 DL3, DD S60, Allison B500.
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 01:22:33 PM »
Is that 26,500 actual weight or GVW? If it is actual, do they weigh you or just say"That looks like over 26,000 lbs?

They are looking at the GVWR. At least, that has been the case everywhere that I have seen.

God bless,

John
Sold - MCI 1995 DL3. DD S60 with a Allison B500.

Offline Dan C

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 03:29:57 PM »
It does not matter how much you weigh when you get there, the only thing that counts is the
GVW stamped on the VIN plate. If your GVW is more than 26,000 pounds or you have 3 or more
axles, do not use the RV pumps in AZ. But if you do have a GVW of less than 26,000 pounds and
only 2 axles, go on and use the RV pump.
Lin, when you pass through AZ (do not go around) and you do not fill up every container that
you have (at any price), you will wish that you did when you see the prices in California.

Dan

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »
Thanks Dan, but I live in California.  I usually think of AZ fuel prices as cheaper anyway.  I wonder if there is still a GVW stamp in the 5a.  I will have to look around.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Depewtee

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2011, 05:16:52 PM »
When I drove my bus home when I bought it I stopped in Indiana to buy fuel at Flying J.  I went inside and asked the clerk if I could buy taxed fuel at the truck island.  She said yes so I went and filled up.  I saw another clerk to pay and she had a fit that I had bought fuel without an IFTA number.  She said there was no way to charge me the tax and she made me fill out and sign some form.  I thought I might get a bill from the state or something, but nothing.

I prefer pumping at the truck pumps as it is much faster, but the two times I have done it I have had very strange looks from the cashiers as well.  What is the protocol for fueling at the truck islands?  Pull up to the pump, go inside and pay cash, and go back out and pump?  Both times they have asked me for the name of my trucking company.

Brian S.
Brian Shonk
Fort Walton Beach, FL (Florida Panhandle)
1981 Prevost LeMirage Liberty Coach
1984 TMC MC-9

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
I wonder if there is still a GVW stamp in the 5a.

I was wondering if a GVW was ever stamped in a 4106.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline thomasinnv

• Derrick Thomas
  • I may be nuts, but only for buses
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2011, 06:12:27 PM »
I always fill up at the truck pumps anyway so obviously I never ran into a problem with the 3 axles, and didn't realize there was even an issue.  I do however go inside to pay cash and always tell them "non-commercial".  They always give me the .08 off the truck price (in AZ).  I never realized there was the issue of 26k or 2 axles.  I never lied though, I am non-commercial.   ;D ;D  But I suppose now that I know the facts, I can't get by with it anymore.  Ignorance is no excuse.  I will pay the .08 from now on.
Some are called, some are sent, some just got up and went.

1998 MCI 102-DL3
Series 60 12.7/Alison B500
95% converted (they're never really done, are they?)

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
Nobody going to fool the revenuers.

two axles adds up to 32 000 lbs.

See you in court.

And then it's "Where's the next tax evader?"

Best to know the rules, not the lax practices, for the jurisdictions we travel into.

This is far from over, from this foreign vantage point.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline Eagle Andy

• Cowboy Coach
  • 1968 Silver Eagle # 7481
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2011, 06:44:47 PM »
When I fill up I tell them It's a bus and it"s and RV I still get a reduced price and besides I wiegh 34,000 empty. Never had any issues ;D
1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT

Offline Jackling54

• 1954' crown supercoach
    • jackling54 photos
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:21 PM »
California fill up today...$$$ 3.79 $$$  per gallon...That hurts  :'(
"I'd rather people hate me for who I am than love me for who I am not" - Kurt Cobain

Offline RoyJ

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
California fill up today...$$$ 3.79 $$$  per gallon...That hurts  :'(

Come up here to BC to ease your pain ;D

If I can find diesel for 3.79 I'd bring a 12,000 gallon tanker with me!

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 04:02:10 AM »
FWIW guys truck stops are about the only place in AZ the 2 different prices are offered 99.5% of the C stores sell only the 8 cent a gal off fuel for RV's and the truckers know this you see bobtails in those places often and our Governor Brewer is looking for cash with our fuel being in line with most states for trucks to me it would not be worth saving 8 bucks on a 100 gals of fuel if you get caught,but I did it for years with buses I owned

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal