Author Topic: Smoking. Cracked ring...??? What to do  (Read 233389 times)

Offline Van

Re: Smoking. Cracked ring...??? What to do
« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
Is it done? that's a lot of dough :o :o :-\
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2011, 03:14:39 PM »
They agreed to re-credit me the roughly $1,200 already paid in Montgomery...  The tow bill they are laying on me.  I have requested a copy to send to my roadside service company.
1992 Wanderlodge PT-40, 1960 PD-4104
Albemarle, NC

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #272 on: March 07, 2011, 03:20:55 PM »
It looks to me that those are different cylinders the one that is busted doesn't show the fuel burn pattern on top of the piston.

GOOD EYE!

I think the diagnosis is going to be that a complete rebuild is called for.  Hope I am wrong.  Are those cylinders badly scored?  He used to have good compression given  "no smoke" and "good" power.

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Van

« Reply #273 on: March 07, 2011, 03:28:56 PM »
Your right Clifford! no exp on 871's, but what about the dished piston vs the flat one, or are my eyes shot! lol
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #274 on: March 07, 2011, 03:30:50 PM »
Would you have paid 6-7K more for that bus if you had to?

I really feel for you, makes me afraid to go more than a couple hundred miles from home.

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #275 on: March 07, 2011, 03:32:38 PM »
Your right Clifford! no exp on 871's, but what about the dished piston vs the flat one, or are my eyes shot! lol

Van,

That is so scary.  I didn't notice that there were two different type pistons.

My eye is failing, still. :(

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #276 on: March 07, 2011, 03:35:53 PM »
Is it done? that's a lot of dough :o :o :-\

They have not started yet.  They just faxed me the estimate for approval.

Albemarle, NC

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #277 on: March 07, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »
Let this simmer on the board for a day.  More info and advice can't hurt at this point.

Really sad to see this.  Are the prices in line?  If BK is still speaking to us/me I think he might have an idea of what is the norm.  Call Luke at US coach for opinions and answers.  What would Choo Choo charge or is the water too muddy for even a comment on that.  Smart to stay far far away I know.

Ten years ago the machine shop charge for sizing and straightening a con rod was way less than replacement.  A bent rod gave a distinct signature on the cylinder wall and piston.  Different with DD?

John
—Pla

Offline Barn Owl

• Roanoke, VA
  • PD4106-1063 "Wheezy Bus"
« Reply #278 on: March 07, 2011, 03:57:31 PM »
That's the cost of one hole? Ouch! What about finding a good used take out or do a re-power with a 6V92ta? If I were to start spending that kind of money I would want something with a little more scoot put back in.
L. Christley - W3EYE Amateur Extra
Blue Ridge Mountains, S.W. Virginia
It’s the education gained, and the ability to apply, and share, what we learn.
Have fun, be great, that way you have Great Fun!

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #279 on: March 07, 2011, 04:03:45 PM »
I spoke with Clifford a little bit ago.  He assured me that with using genuine Detroit Diesel parts, that bill is in line.  He also figures that give all that has happened and all the trouble we had in Montgomery, that they would make sure it comes out of there 100%, checking bearings, etc.. 

There are people out there a lot worse off than me in their buses.  Hopefully I am getting my big "ouch" out of the way quickly.
Albemarle, NC

Offline chart1

« Reply #280 on: March 07, 2011, 04:30:30 PM »

I think they are all dished if you look at them closley. The piston that is busted has no fuel burn pattern at all. Whats up with that? If this was a new problem wouldnt there be old burn pattern on the piston? confused here. Maybe clifford could answer that one.
1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise

Offline chart1

« Reply #281 on: March 07, 2011, 04:46:43 PM »
Another question is if the valves where bent would they be closed all the way? I have seen many bent valves in auto heads usually the valves do not seat flush after being bent? Just been studing the pictures.
1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise

Offline Van

« Reply #282 on: March 07, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
Sorry Marc! Lemme clarify the "Lotta Dough" comment I made, didn't mean it to sound like the amount was outta line, just that it is a lot of moo la. I'm from B'KLYN  now can you tell LOL!

Van
   AYE! ;D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #283 on: March 07, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »
Sorry Marc! Lemme clarify the "Lotta Dough" comment I made, didn't mean it to sound like the amount was outta line, just that it is a lot of moo la. I'm from B'KLYN  now can you tell LOL!

Van
   AYE! ;D

That's a lotta dough for me too!  In fact, that's about all of it.  We will get it paid, but OUCH!!!!.  We were going to buy a Cherokee 4x4 with that money...   :( :( :(
Albemarle, NC

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #284 on: March 07, 2011, 05:58:24 PM »
Just one of the finer points of owning such a machine. Granted it sucks and we all shiver thinking about going through just such an ordeal. Wasn't it last year that Bob of the North got a total rebuild at Lukes? I'm sure there was some puckering factor there also but it wasn't like someone taking advantage of him. It is what it is. I don't know what your position financially is Marc but if I was in your position I would go the total rebuild route, save the documents and be on my way. If that bus had a documented rebuild with whatever quarantee goes with it before you bought it would you have kicked in another 10-12 grand? Any upgrade to a 92 or 60 series will involve more than a rebuild of the 71 and then you are still talking used. Sounds like you have good heads. 5 or 6 grand is almost 1/2 way there. It won't hurt to ask. Later
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal