Author Topic: Question about fueling at truck stops  (Read 8856 times)

belfert

Question about fueling at truck stops
« on: September 13, 2006, 07:19:42 AM »
If I use both nozzles at a truck stop, will the tank fill any faster, or are they just dividing the GPM between the two nozzles?  I know the primary reason for two nozzles is for semi tractors with seperate tanks, but I do have openings into the fuel tank on both sides.

Maybe filling from both sides isn't worth the time since the pumps discharge so fast anyhow.  I have used both nozzles before and by the time I get the second nozzle started, the tank was almost full already.

Brian Elfert

Offline TomC

Re: Question about fueling at truck stops
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 07:33:11 AM »
Both nozzles running typically will obtain more gallons per minute.  But-some pumps are so fast-like a gallon every second, I would be leary of using both.  Might end up with fuel spitting out since the tank might not take that kind of flow.  You can only try, then you'll have your answer.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 07:33:50 AM »
Brian you really just answered yer own question ! Ok heres the skinny since you I and very few other lucky bus nuts have fillers on both sides (at least as far as I'm aware of it's an Eagle/Setra, Dina thing! most of the others just fuel on the curb side), first off all the fuel goes thru the main pump meter. So yes I'd say it's spliting the GPM's! Also no more fuel than you're going to be putting in usually it will be like you said a waste of time because they fill so fast anyway for a single tank with duel fillers as on your bus, now on my Setra (an I if remember correctly as it's been ages since I dealt with an Eagle) they are 2 seperate tanks hooked together at the bottom with a "small" hose (about 1" I think) and it is actually faster to use seperate hoses! Also on a system like mine it is necessary to open both caps even when just using one hose to allow air to escape or you'll end up with one tank full and one tank almost empty until it transfers then you'll have 1/2 a tank in each!  FWIW BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:04:02 AM »
Personally, I try to avoid using the pumps where there are split dispensers (i.e. Truck fueling stations). I find it inconvenient (the metered pump is on the wrong side), and usually, there's always more fuel spilled on the ground here that gets tracked into the bus. I can get through the RV islands at Flying J, although it's not very convenient. Only advantage is they don't charge you the 5 cents to use a credit card like they do on the truck island. I typically try to find a smaller station that's set up for trucks and RVs and has a lot of room to manuver. Along the interstate, this is pretty common.

You shouldn't be too concerned about how long it takes, anyway, as while pumping, you should be attending to other things like washing windshields, checking tire pressure (thump), checking engine oil and water levels, etc. Set the nozzle and take care of the routine maintenance issues. When it's full it will shut off.

I keep a bungee strap in the fuel door that I use to prop up the nozzle since my filler hole is large and nearly vertical and I find the curved fuel nozzle doesn't want to stay in the hole. So I wrap the bungee around the back of the nozzle and attach it to my fuel door spring. Works well for me.

On your I80 trip, there's a Shell or Exxon in York, south of the interstate. Auto/RV diesel on the left side and plenty of room to turn around to exit.

In North Platte, there's a Conoco on the West exit (not Flying J exit) with great access, and historically cheaper prices than anywhere between here and Cheyenne (also cheaper and more convenient than the Flying J).

In Cheyenne, there's a Sinclair on the East exit that's easy to get through, but prices were 8-10 cents higher than the Flying J. Flying J is actually south of I80 on I25. Not difficult to get to, but out of the way. Their RV island is not real convient but I've done it in the bus w/ toad. I try to avoid it, though. It's actually worth paying the extra few $$$ at the Sinclair to avoid the hassle fo the Flying J. There's a Diamond Shamrock on the center exit but it's kind of a pain to get through and not always the cheapest fuel.

Laramie is a better place to get fuel. Often cheaper than Cheyenne. Go to the west exit, Curtis street, and take a right. There's a Diamond Shamrock on the north side. Usually has the cheapest diesel, and never a line of trucks. Easy in, easy out. There's a Petro and one other truck stop at the same exit, and both are miserable to get in and out of, and their prices are always higher than the Diamond Shamrock.

Rawlins has a couple truck stops. Prices are typically higher than Laramie. Both are easy access. It's interesting that the refinery is in Sinclair, and there's a truck stop in Sinclair, too, but the prices in Sinclair and Rawlins are consistently higher than the prices in Laramie  and Cheyenne (refinery in Cheyenne)

Can't help you going farther west past Rawlins.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline H3Jim

• 1995 Prevost H3-41, series 60, B500 Allison
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:06:37 AM »
Brian,
it does fill faster, but if its worth it to you or not to tend the other side is your call. Those truck stops tend to fill pretty fast anyway.  How big are those tanks in the Dina?  I just have a soda and wait, or do my windshields - now that takes some time.

Busted, my H3 has locking fillers on both sides.  235 gallons, one tank.
Jim Stewart
El Cajon, Ca.  (San Diego area)

Travel is more than the seeing of sights, it is a change that goes on, deep  and permanent, in the ideas of living.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 08:36:19 AM »
Craig,

You sure brought back some trucking memories here with all the places you just mentioned! I used to love stopping at the "Shamrock" in Laramie!  Then right before I got out of truck'n they put that stupid Pilot or Loves or what ever that awful place is across from the "Shamrock" ! My question is does the Shmrock still have the campground, and do they still give you a cupon for a free meal in the resturaunt with 100 gallons of "liquid gold"? LOL I spent lots of fuel $ in that place over the yrs!  (and ate plenty of steak & egg breakfasts for free!) I even dropped my trailer and "camped out" in the camp ground during one of the snow storms that area is well known for when I-80 was closed down for 4 days !  I went to the store and bought 2 extension cords, a power strip, a BIG (for a truck sleeper) electric heater, a crock pot, a hot plate & food! Parked in a camping spot (they wouldn't let me pay for camping "because it was the off-season & I'd been a loyal fuel customer so long!") hooked up my engine heater to one cord and ran the other inside and camped out made chilli, pot roast, and other good meals invited other drivers over we'd eat play cards or snowfoot ball, or what ever and made the best of a situtation we had no control over ! Gosh I miss those goofy days! BK  ;D

www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:41:14 AM »
H3 thanks for the info! I didn't know that ! But then again I have limited Prevost exerience !  An when the right steer tire blew on the H3-45 I was driving this past 4th of July at 75 mph, while Iwas in the left lane passing a car the last thing on my mind was which side do I fuel this thing on LOL! BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 08:50:44 AM »
Pilot is across the interstate. I think it's a Love's across the street from D.S.  I don't care for either.

Don't know about the meal tickets. Not even sure the restaurant is still there. I think they offered me a free shower the last time I was there. Not sure if there's a campground there or not, but there's a lot of open space there. I don't actually recall there being a campground there  ???. There's a KOA just south of there past the Love's truck stop. There's a trailer park just past that, which I lived in for 3 years while in college.

We stopped in Laramie this summer an walked around the campus to my kids. Sure brings back some memories. Couldn't wait to get out of there at the time. Sure would like to be there now! It's nice there in the summer. Can be challenging in the winter.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Brian Diehl

• www.brihil.com
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 09:15:31 AM »

You shouldn't be too concerned about how long it takes, anyway, as while pumping, you should be attending to other things like washing windshields, checking tire pressure (thump), checking engine oil and water levels, etc. Set the nozzle and take care of the routine maintenance issues. When it's full it will shut off.

Just a note ... I find walking around with my infrared thermometer more exact than thumping tires as it will tell me if I have any issues I should pay attention to long before thumping on a tire would warn me to an issue.  This way I can get hub temperatures as well so I can watch for any issues with my bearings.  ... Just my way of doing it

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 09:20:09 AM »
Just a note ... I find walking around with my infrared thermometer more exact than thumping tires as it will tell me if I have any issues I should pay attention to long before thumping on a tire would warn me to an issue.  This way I can get hub temperatures as well so I can watch for any issues with my bearings.  ... Just my way of doing it

And a very good way of doing it at that! BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

belfert

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 09:34:46 AM »
In Cheyenne, there's a Sinclair on the East exit that's easy to get through, but prices were 8-10 cents higher than the Flying J. Flying J is actually south of I80 on I25. Not difficult to get to, but out of the way. Their RV island is not real convient but I've done it in the bus w/ toad. I try to avoid it, though. It's actually worth paying the extra few $$$ at the Sinclair to avoid the hassle fo the Flying J. There's a Diamond Shamrock on the center exit but it's kind of a pain to get through and not always the cheapest fuel.

Laramie is a better place to get fuel. Often cheaper than Cheyenne. Go to the west exit, Curtis street, and take a right. There's a Diamond Shamrock on the north side. Usually has the cheapest diesel, and never a line of trucks. Easy in, easy out. There's a Petro and one other truck stop at the same exit, and both are miserable to get in and out of, and their prices are always higher than the Diamond Shamrock.

Rawlins has a couple truck stops. Prices are typically higher than Laramie. Both are easy access. It's interesting that the refinery is in Sinclair, and there's a truck stop in Sinclair, too, but the prices in Sinclair and Rawlins are consistently higher than the prices in Laramie  and Cheyenne (refinery in Cheyenne)

My plan right now is to stop at Cheyenne, or Laramie, or wherever in Wyoming has the best fuel prices.  Right now, Flying J in Cheyenne has the best price over the prices in Laramie.  Loves across the highway is usually the same price.  Rawlins truck stops are pretty bad so I usually avoid there.

I like to avoid the very last city in Wyoming for fuel if possible since they are always high due to Utah prices being so high.  They like to soak the Utah folks who drive over the border.

My next stop will be in Winnemuuca, NV or Fernley, NV.  I could probably make it to Utah, but prices there are high.

Brian Elfert

Ace

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 10:24:15 AM »
Mine is like H3Jim's. A fuel door on both sides but  I thought it was only if you couldn't get a pump on the right side you could always fuel from the other as in if a pump or island was blocked for some reason!

Oh well, I use one pump at a time on one side at a time!

Ace

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 10:27:52 AM »
Brian you mean you don't like Evanston, WY??? I can't understand that, they act just like anyone else in UTAH! LOL! BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

belfert

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 10:45:38 AM »
Brian you mean you don't like Evanston, WY??? I can't understand that, they act just like anyone else in UTAH! LOL! BK  ;D

Don't know about the people, but the fuel prices are high for Wyoming.  I know just about every fuel stop along I-80 from Des Moines to Reno since my pickup only got 250 to 300 miles on a tank.

When I still had a gasoline pickup, I figured out that the first stations in a city after a long stretch of road often have really high prices.  One city along I-80, the price for gasoline was $1.70 at the first exit and about $1.30 or $1.40 at the next exit.

Brian Elfert

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 05:30:27 PM »
On my Eagle it was mandatory to use the filler on both sides if you wanted to really get a full tank(s). The Eagle has two tanks connected by a small diameter hose and if you try and fill from one side only it takes a looooong time to put in 150 or more gallons.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal