Author Topic: FUELING  (Read 6800 times)

Offline larryh

• 4905A-893 P8M
  • ready to run with the big dogs
FUELING
« on: September 13, 2006, 08:11:34 AM »
 :D
If you are buying your fuel at truck stops you might be paying from .08 to .12 cents more per gallon.

I'm currently in Idaho and in home of AZ I paid $2.76 per gallon compared to $3.45 here in Idaho.

In AZ depending what county your in the RV or auto diesel pump is cheaper by the auto pumps than the price for the commercial rigs if you pull into truck bays you pay more but call the desk and tell them it's for a RV and save a few bucks. it all adds up.

Larry 4905
Savvy ponderable:
A cowboy's only afraid of two things:
havin' ta walk,
and the love of a good woman.
"This posting was generated using an environmentally friendly, self contained flatulence generator, therefore no fossils or neutrons were harmed in the creation of this posting.

Quartzsite,

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
Re: FUELING
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 05:49:56 PM »
$2.59 here in NJ right now.  It was $2.79 in NH when I left yesterday.

Ross

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »
That's a good tip Larry.  I've noticed that it is a few cents more at some truck stops.    Never quite understood why tho'. 

I hadn't thought to call in and tell them it was for an RV to save those $.

Best Regards, Phil

Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 08:51:37 PM »
Dad paid $ 2.559 tonight !!!  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 08:54:12 PM »
Ouuuuccch !  Stop that - you are killing me with those low prices.    We are still over $3 p/gal.

Ouch ouch ouch.....
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 09:02:05 PM »
Ouch is right! That's flat out gouging there! But $2.559 is still way to high! BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline ceieio

• MCI 7 DD 8V71, HT740
  • 1973 MCI 7
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 09:48:02 PM »
$3.04 at my usual watering hole tonight.  (just checked the price, I am going to wait a bit before I top up the 70 or so gallons I am down.

Craig MC7 - Oregon USA

belfert

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 10:14:21 PM »
Doesn't Arizona have some wierd tax situation where big rigs pay extra for diesel or something?

I've never been in a situation where I had an opportunity to pay less as an RV than a semi truck at a truck stop.  There is usually a 5 cent premium for credit cards at the truck pumps, but I don't think having an RV gets you around that.  They usually don't charge the credit card premium at the front RV or auto diesel pumps.  (Speaking of cash prices for diesel, I can't believe truckers will carry hundreds or thousands in cash to save 5 cents a gallon.  Heck, my Chase Rewards card gets me 5% back, but a trucker would hit the limit in no time.)

Some people say that stations in town will be cheaper for diesel than the truck stops out on the highway, but it would have t be a big difference to make it worth the hassle of driving all over town.

Brian Elfert

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 06:25:00 AM »
Not only is it a hassle getting to the station, but most often, you won't be able to get your bus into their pumps easily, if at all. Even if the price is 5 cents less in town, you're only saving $5 on 100 gallons, and if you get 6 mpg, you could easily use that savings up just getting to the station and back to the interstate. Unless it's on your route, it's just not worth the extra few dollars. But, we are, by nature, cheap, and every busnut will have a $$ point where the savings are worth the time and hassle. Heck, I've been know to drive a few blocks to save 2 cents!

What I've found is that the 5 cent credit card premium is often not charged at the RV / auto pump, only on the truck island. At least that's the way it was at some of the Flying J's I've been to.

By the way, this used to be a ripoff as the credit card companies typically only charge about 3% to the retailer, and that can be discounted further by volume sales such as you'd see with Flying J. So basically, everything collected over that 3% is profit to Flying J. It was a winning situation for them because the credit card purchase is fully automated and costs them less money than other forms of payment. However, at $3 fuel prices, 3% is 9 cents per gallon.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 06:48:37 AM »
Brian some truckers do carry large amounts of cash (I used too, we paid cash for everything *less paper trail* but those days are gone, well sorta I use cash for our buses , & dad uses a card to offset what I'm saving LOL! naw not really it's just ma won't let dad carry much cash as shes afraid someone will rob them!), but all the "big companies" use fuel cards such as EFS, Comdata, YadaYadaYada, & etc. which are instant debit type cards and are not charged the "credit pice" and on top of that they receive kickbacks from the different truckstops for volume purchasing! Personally I try to avoid the big truckstops unless it's the Flying J closest to us that is always by far cheaper than anyone else. We usually carrry Wally World Gift Cards wih several hundred $ on them and top off at the Murphy Stores in the Wally lots pretty cheap if we run across one on our route (pretty common when taking groups here & there around town, just drop 'm off go fuel, go back to the hotel, & go pick 'm up at what ever time we're supposed too!) of course we also have groups that'll ask us to take them to Wally World which really works out cause we can fuel while they shop! BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal