Author Topic: Using Coach-Net... I think I'm in trouble...  (Read 13416 times)

Offline thejumpsuitman

Re: Using Coach-Net... I think I'm in trouble...
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 10:32:41 AM »
Everybody meant well but everything went wrong... :(
1992 Wanderlodge PT-40, 1960 PD-4104
Albemarle, NC

Offline Gary LaBombard

• "Rustless Money Pit"
    • "Inspection & Repair Guide for Bus Conversions"
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 10:47:25 AM »
This post reply was posted in previous thread.
Gary
Gary

artvonne

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 06:06:54 PM »
Art,

I have to agree with you to a point.  It mostly depends on your knowledge of things diesel and the size of your check book.  In my case, if I were looking at a $5k repair away from home, I would have no choice.  The only options would be to get it home somehow or abandon it.

I cant say im any farther behind you. Sometimes its not so much that we cant afford it, as much as it just dont make economic sense. Used 8V71's and 6V92's are available all over for under $1000. Faced with paying half the cost of an overhaul for a one cylinder fix on an old engine without any history, on top of a big tow bill, why would you care if you destroyed the motor getting it home? I sure wouldnt.

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 06:17:49 PM »
Art,

I have to agree with you to a point.  It mostly depends on your knowledge of things diesel and the size of your check book.  In my case, if I were looking at a $5k repair away from home, I would have no choice.  The only options would be to get it home somehow or abandon it.

I cant say im any farther behind you. Sometimes its not so much that we cant afford it, as much as it just dont make economic sense. Used 8V71's and 6V92's are available all over for under $1000. Faced with paying half the cost of an overhaul for a one cylinder fix on an old engine without any history, on top of a big tow bill, why would you care if you destroyed the motor getting it home? I sure wouldnt.

It's an easy call if it's a straight choice right off the bat... $5K to fix or plan B.  But in my case, we started off by spending the $1,200 and the 10 days.  Then $1,000 for the tow, now it's $2,600 to complete it.  So After you are $2,200 in, (plus time invested) $2,600 more to get right back on the road the way you were sounds pretty good.
Albemarle, NC

artvonne

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 07:38:54 PM »

It's an easy call if it's a straight choice right off the bat.  But in my case, we started off by spending the $1,200 and the 10 days. 

Marc, I think any reasonable person expected them to stand behind thier original work. Now we know better.

Hopefully your nighmare will be over soon and you can start enjoying your Bus.

Offline brando4905

• Clean Vibes,LLC--Event Waste and Recycling Services
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2011, 05:46:14 AM »
 [/quote]

[/quote]

Art,

Not too many GOOD running DDs out there for a grand. Then calculate fluids and filters and the what-nots to do the swap and there's another $500. Also there is the cost of the swap, maybe you have the resources to do it (I don't have a fork lift  ;)), that's another few grand for labor at a shop that knows what they are doing. Then you may go another 50k miles or you may fire it up and it falls apart.

I've been the used engine route, paid more than $1k for it, and a year later it got an inframe rebuild.

Not saying there is anything wrong with putting a used engine in, but there is a little more involved than $1000 dollars, and when it's all said and done you almost have spent as much as an inframe.

Brandon

PS--Sorry for going off topic with your thread Marc.
1980 GMC H8H-649  8V71/V730 Marion,NC

"The highway is for gamblers, better use your sense" -Dylan

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2011, 06:44:50 AM »
In an effort to self-moderate  ;D and keep subjects on topic, I posted my response to this debate in the other thread,  "Cracked ring...??? What to do"
Albemarle, NC

artvonne

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2011, 08:33:54 AM »
  "If" you bought a used engine with the intent of running it, it should get torn down and get a very thorough cleaning and inspection, new seals and gaskets, fix anything questionable. Parts are cheap for these things, and doing do your own work, you could have a pretty sweet engine without blowing a big wad of money. They dont need new pistons and liners everytime they come apart. If they are good, they should stay good for quite a long while. The parts are only new until you install them. An engine is only new until you crank it. From that moment onward, everythings used.

I've been thinking about all of this since Marc's story started in Montgomerey, and what I would do. I think if I were faced with a dead cylinder away from home, I would just block off the injector. If I thought the piston was coming apart, I would drop the pan and disconnect the rod, and shove the piston up far enough the valves wouldnt hit it, and block it there. If I couldnt find any easier way to block it, I would drill a hole through the piston and put a bolt through it in the intake transfer port so it couldnt fall. If the rod wouldnt clear the spining crank, id cut it off. A heavy truck type hose clamp around the rod journal should hold the oil pressure. Then point her home.

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »
I hope everyone on here learns something from our experience.  You might as well learn all you can by watching all of this develop because I am paying the bill for the education!!!    :o :o :o;D ;D ;D 
Albemarle, NC

artvonne

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »
I hope everyone on here learns something from our experience.  You might as well learn all you can by watching all of this develop because I am paying the bill for the education!!!    :o :o :o;D ;D ;D 

If your ever somewhere nearby performing, I'll be sure to stop in to say hello and watch the show. I think many here have gotten a little more education than expected, especially from a place more than a few expected better of.

Once your over the hurt from this, I would suggest you start planning for a complete overhaul. As long as it stays together and runs well, your only looking at 7 more piston/liners, do the other head, check the crank with new bearings, all new seals and gaskets, some odds and ends, youll have a new engine.

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2011, 10:31:45 AM »
I actually just posted about that on the other thread.  I think I should plan to buy another engine and overhaul it as a backup.
Albemarle, NC

Offline Brassman

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2011, 06:34:24 PM »
I actually just posted about that on the other thread.  I think I should plan to buy another engine and overhaul it as a backup.
Kinda like an air cooled VW--an heir and a spare.

artvonne

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2011, 06:39:30 PM »
  Hopefully you can go a few more miles with a Detroit than a VW Bus.

Why anyone in their right mind would put that motor in an airplane is beyond me.

Offline Brassman

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2011, 07:22:27 PM »
Just look'n for a miracle, I guess.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal