Author Topic: Deeded RV lots?  (Read 10297 times)

Offline thejumpsuitman

Deeded RV lots?
« on: March 07, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
I was wondering how many of you own, or have owned a deeded lot where you park your bus and if you could discuss the pluses and minuses of it.  My question would include considering propery outside of an actual RV park.  I have an opportunity to do some horse trading and am trying to consider all angles before proceeding.

Thanks,
Marc
1992 Wanderlodge PT-40, 1960 PD-4104
Albemarle, NC

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Deeded RV lots?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 09:23:49 AM »
I think the biggest hurdle is the zoning and regulatory one - getting long standing permission to park a mobile home or bus on a piece of land to live in can be almost impossible.  when you buy inside an RV park, sometimes you actually get a very long term lease, and you are of course tied to the location, the neighbours, the maintenance of the managers, etc.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:47:20 AM »
I am currently looking for property in my area for exactly that.  I want an acre where I can build a pad and a sizable shop or possibly a bus barn.  Now if I have to put a mobile on it to cross some "T"s or dot some "I"s then that is doable.  I hope to full time for a few years at least but I want a "home base" for "my stuff" and this area is where the grand kids grow up.  I can get a used mobile for little more than the set-up costs as they are a drug on the market.  Find out what the rules are, get a glove and get in the game.....words of wisdom.  I have found that if I tell the County clerk in the department of interest exactly what I am trying to achieve they have a way to do that for next to nothing.  Often it just exactly "how you tell the lie" that gets you over.  Nutty stuff like saying "long term" rather than "permanent".  Its nuts but its the game we must play and we all need help at understanding the rules.  At least I do.

I have found properties her that have really old mobiles on them and the mobile detracts from the value and often is unlivable.  You can buy the property and leave the mobile in place and stay on your pad without getting anybody upset and you always have the option of renting a habitable mobile or house to compensate for the mortgage payout.  Just some ideas to kick around.

Good luck in your quest,

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »
We rent a lot set up for 2 rv's in Yuma during the winter. Some lots have a stick house or a manufactured home or a park model or an old trailer on it plus an rv hookup. We also have 2 neighbors that have a metal bus barn/house combo.  ;D
Used to own a 1968 MCI 5A and a 1977 5C.

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 05:15:01 PM »
Marc,

Search the http://www.escapees.com/Wannabes/Home.asp forums for this.  I read their forums often and there is discussion about this from time to time.  I also see lots of ads for deeded RV lots in the back of "Hiways" magazine that Good Sam sends me monthly.

David

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2011, 05:44:29 PM »
Thanks for the lead David.
Albemarle, NC

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 07:29:17 PM »
I think that most of those deeded lots that you see in Hiways are in an rv park. The Foothills area where we are is a non incorporated community.

Offline Singing Land Cruiser

• Michael & Christi Hargis
  • Found another Bus= '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71
    • michaelhargis.com
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
Here in St. George, UTAH you can get a resort rv site year to year for $2,000 to $2,500 for the year. No deed needed. FWIW M&C ;D
Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
RV Park MGRS/ Sans End RV Park
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
'77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71

Offline Ed Hackenbruch

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 05:56:15 AM »
Only thing is that a resort rv site isn't going to let you do major work on the bus.

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:36:20 AM »
That is a biggie.  I don't want to be hassled over doing things to the bus, even washing it. 

We may have a unique opportunity to score a small non-deed restricted piece of property in Florida that has an existing park model on it.  So power, sewer, and water are all in place.  It looks very promising.  The owner is currently checking to make sure we would be able to park the bus without interfering with the drain fields or septic tank.

Just was wondering if anyone else had such a situation and how they felt about leaving it during the off-season.  Maintenance, etc.
Albemarle, NC

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 07:00:31 AM »
now I am very curious!  what exactly is a "small non-deed restricted piece of property in Florida"?  I have never heard of non-deed restricted property, and would like to find out.

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 07:11:19 AM »
now I am very curious!  what exactly is a "small non-deed restricted piece of property in Florida"?  I have never heard of non-deed restricted property, and would like to find out.
Brian

In Florida, many properties are in developments that have deed restrictions such as no trucks parked in driveways, no RV parking allowed, etc. Some even go so far as telling you what kind of roof you have to have on your house and what colors can be used on the exterior of the house. That is why we purchased 5 acres, zoned agricultural, 12 miles from town. Of course any property must follow local zoning ordinances.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline thejumpsuitman

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 07:20:28 AM »
Brian

In Florida, many properties are in developments that have deed restrictions such as no trucks parked in driveways, no RV parking allowed, etc. Some even go so far as telling you what kind of roof you have to have on your house and what colors can be used on the exterior of the house. That is why we purchased 5 acres, zoned agricultural, 12 miles from town. Of course any property must follow local zoning ordinances.  Jack

Yeah, what he said.... ;D ;D ;D
Albemarle, NC

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 07:24:12 AM »
Marc
    Check the local zoning.  Some areas allow mobile homes, and parking RVs, but not living in the RV. Make sure before you plaumk down any $$$.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 07:25:11 AM »
OK, is what you are looking at "non-deed-restricted", as in it  has a deed and has no restrictions, or "non-deed, restricted", as in it has no deed and is restricted?   ???

Punctuation makes all the difference!   ;)

Brian
Allison MT-647

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal