Author Topic: Compressor - It maybe time. :(  (Read 23065 times)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
Re: Compressor - It maybe time. :(
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 07:25:40 AM »
A 289925 is a Bendix remanufactured Tu-Flo 700 of a specific flange and shaft config to fit your engine application.

http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay.asp?documentID=5309

Here is one place, $495.00.  I would try to get one reman'd by Bendix if I could.

http://perfectionequipment.catalog.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=88701

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 07:41:02 AM »
Thanx Brian.
I called the Cincy Detroit store and they can get rebuilds for $415.62.   :'(   :'(  ouch. I was hoping Dallas's numbers were going to be closer. I may have to look at quote" good used" unquote.  :-\
  Thanx again for the follow up!!!
     Chaz

p.s. Kirk's JUST emailed me before I hit send and they are 283.00 + tax. I emailed them back to see how bad shipping will hurt as well. It would be nice if we could use NAPA as a go between.  ::)
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/
What I create here:   www.amstudio.us

"Imagination is more important than knowledge". Albert Einstein

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 08:13:45 AM »
Chaz,
Sorry to chime in late here.
Kirk's has a good reputation (at least on the alts. & starters I've gotten from them!) I've never bought a compressor from them. (as a matter of fact, I didn't know they did them)

Now you might give Prior Re-manufacturing ( http://www.priorreman.com/HeavyDuty.htm ) a call or email. I have had great service from them. (had several problems but they always went above & beyond to correct the problem! So I can vouch they do stand behind their products 100%!)
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 12:33:27 PM »
I checked 4 places and REI got the nod. They weren't the cheapest but JR sounds like a REALLY nice guy and just a good guy to deal with. That means a lot. And he was VERY appreciative that Lin recommended him. Good dude.
BTW it ran 289.00. 1 year warranty.

So................ now I loose my virginity on replacing a compressor!!!  ;D  Any tips? Tricks?? Just curious. JR said it was pretty straight forward.

Thanx again guys!!!!!!
   Chaz

(can I say I'm looking forward to a good "B*** J**" ?? lolololololol  Sorry, just had to.  ;D ;D ;D)
Pix of my bus here: http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g279/Skulptor/Motor%20Coach/

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
One thing I like about them was that they did not take the core charge up front but gave time to return it first.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 12:44:29 PM »
One thing I like about them was that they did not take the core charge up front but gave time to return it first.

FWIW to the best of my memory Prior does that too. (at least for me, but then again it could just because IT IS FOR ME! ;) )   :o  ::)
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 12:47:58 PM »
BK, Love is a wonderful thing, isn't it.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 12:58:48 PM »
You  need to transfer over a bunch of plugs and inlets and such, to configure it right.  Mine came with all new plugs in a bag, so I didn't need to take out and reuse the old ones.  set the new compressor beside the old compressor and double check everything.  Some of the holes in the new compressor may have plastic plugs installed to keep things clean, you need to put steel plugs in with teflon sealant.  You need to get a new governor as well, they are cheap and mount on the side of the compressor.  Depending on your install you may want to get a new air filter, or change the hose to the air filter or the top of the blower on the engine (whatever your intake air set up is).  You need to inspect and decide if you need to change your air hoses - two to the governor and the big output air hose.  Many say it's a very good idea to change the main outlet air hose and in your case, with the oiling problems you have I would recommend it.  You need to inspect and probably change the water/coolant lines to and from the compressor to the cooling system, and you should change/inspect the pressurized oil input line.  You need new gaskets for the base of the compressor.  You need to inspect the coupler between the engine and the input gear on the compressor - mine is all metal, apparently some are some sort of composite fiber and Gumpy had one fail recently.  You need to work out a tool to hold the input gear on the old compressor while you undo the nut and a gear puller to pull it off the compressor crank, and then you need to work out how to hold it while you torque the new nut (Mine came with a new castle nut and cotter pin and fancy base gasket) to 100 ft lbs.  Then you just use a new gasket, bolt it on to the engine, hook everything up and away you go.

That's all I can think of...

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:39 PM »
BK and Lin,
 They were both "all that and a bag of chips". It was just that REI was closer for shipping and cheaper in price. But both seemed very good.  Kirk's was cheaper yet.

Brian,
  OMG!!!!!!!!!  (as the kids would say :D)
  JR at REI said he would make sure the gear was on and plugs were with it as well as gasket. I told him I was a rookie and he went the extra mile to make sure I would have what I need. Like I said, GOOD Dude!!
  All those lines AND a Governor? Dang.  Hope the Gov. can be gotten close. I'm sure the compressor is already shipped so I can't add that on. I don't even know what they look like.  ???
  Should be a new experience! Just hope it's a good one.  ;D
    Chaz

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
well, you really need to inspect and decide if you need to change things.  I tend to look at things like hoses and such that are regular maintenance items that should be changed out every 10 years or so and if I know they are 30 years old, the inspection is short and sweet...  Governor the same thing, regular maintenance item and if you don't know when it was changed last, and it's all crusty and horrible....  Flotation test time

Brian
Allison MT-647

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 02:20:15 PM »
Chaz,
(and Brian) The governor IS USUALLY mounted on the compressor especially on a coach of yours' vintage. However NOT ALL are, it is very common especially these days for the governor to be **remote** mounted! All my Setra's are the older ones were mounted on a frame rail between the drive & tag axles. (oh wait you both have single axle coaches and might not understand what a tag axle is! LOL!  :o .... jest kidding) The newer Setra's and many other trucks and buses have them mounted directly to the air dryer itself!

Now as far as what it looks like remember the old V-8, or *Donald Duck Brand* juice cans (the small ones not the current 12oz ones) About 1-1/2 inches in diameter and about 3-1/2" long.
That's EXACTLY what a governor looks like only just plain gray aluminum color no fancy labeling!
;D  BK  ;D

OH and even JR is a super swell guy and all that, BE SURE and carefully inspect that compressor over completely to be sure it doesn't have ANY of the plastic plugs/caps painted over on it! Craig aka Gumpy had one that was and he accidentally missed it upon installation and once it warmed up it popped out and spit a bunch of oil out on him.

Also (BRIAN & other MCI owners take note here) on an MCI there is a hole that has to have a pipe plug in it that needs the be ground down or it is next to impossible to install or remove the mounting bolt near it with the engine installed in the bus! (I always take the old already ground plug out & reuse it in that hole! & I take the rest of the plugs out and save them in my "collection" for use later on other projects or emergency repairs! (it's only on an MCI that this one plug is at least as far as I know of because of the orientation of the compressor on an MCI vs other brands!)
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline latvia69

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 03:09:12 PM »
appreciate all the great info. am suffering compressor anxiety myself at the present time, this info will fix me right up. this is tomorrows job thanks

Offline baker4106

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 03:18:17 PM »
Call Luke.   He knows what was standard and what will replace it.   He helped me several years ago and it works great.

Offline Busted Knuckle

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »
appreciate all the great info. am suffering compressor anxiety myself at the present time, this info will fix me right up. this is tomorrows job thanks

Latvia69,
Welcome to the board and the madness!
What kind of bus do you has and what part of the country are you in?
;D  BK  ;D
www.kylakesidetravel.net

Offline Chaz

• 4108, 8V71 w/auto .
    • Aesthetic Metal Studio
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 05:44:48 PM »
"Expiring minds want to know", eh BK!!?? :D :D :D

Chaz

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal