Author Topic: Super single tires on a coach  (Read 14999 times)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Re: Super single tires on a coach
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 06:38:11 AM »
Not on bus (flat) but several semi down /one on trailer. Have been told by trucking company owners they tell driver to try to get out of traffic and call for help. Might limp in on a blown dual /have seem that also. or to nearest exit.    Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Singing Land Cruiser

• Michael & Christi Hargis
  • Found another Bus= '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71
    • michaelhargis.com
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 07:00:19 AM »
Love to see some pic's...Anyone?  ;D M&C
Entertainers/BUSNUTS
http://singinglandcruiser.blogspot.com/
RV Park MGRS/ Sans End RV Park
Master Mason, Noble Shriner
'77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71

Offline TomC

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 07:39:16 AM »
I know Michelin had some videos showing the X-ones used on a bus and having a blow out.  The bus did NOT go out of control as many may think.

I know on a tandem big rig, switching from 8 tires mounted on aluminum rims to 4 X-ones on aluminum rims (steel is not offered) lightens the truck by about 300lbs.  Use them in front and change the trailer steel rims to the aluminum rim super singles, and you lighten up the entire rig by about 700lbs.  If paid by the hundred weight, that can add up over the life of the rig.  Plus, when used on the drive and trailer axles, the X-ones will increase your fuel mileage by 5%.

As to blow out, fleets that are using the X-ones have reported their flat rate to go down to 15%-mainly because normal dual tires are 14ply compared to the X-ones that are 20ply rated.

Personally-if I were buying a big rig today, I'd get it with the X-ones on both the driver and trailer axles.  Then I would carry a full spare mounted on a wheel for easy flat change over-even with the weight of the spare, you'd still be ahead on the weight savings.  The cost of the X-ones-just shy of double the cost of regular tires.  So ultimately they cost the same.

The only bus I would run super singles on the drives would be a PD4501, Crown or Gillig tandem axle, or any other bus with full tandem axle setup (not with tags).  Stick with duals-unless you're putting on lots of miles by being full timers, you're not going to see the cost savings.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 08:21:31 AM »
In my travels I have never saw one with a flat have any of you guys ?

good luck

In all fairness, neither have I.  But that still would be a concern to me personally.

BCO

Offline zimtok

• Eddie Smith, the reason for having the bus
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 12:05:37 PM »
I am very much a "Do It Myself" person. I don't want to be waiting around for a service truck to change my flat tire and I sure don't want to pay their prices.

I carry a spare that fits both the front and rear.
If you have the super singles on the rear then the spare would not fit in the spare tire compartment, and you would have to carry two spares because most buses can not fit a super single on the front.

The other main reason I like having duels on the rear is if I get a flat on one I can limp down the road on the other till I get to a place to change the tire. I have had this happen already and was glad to be able to drive the bus down the road to a safe level spot.

If you are using a road service for your flat tires then I don't see any reason to carry a spare and you could go ahead and use the super single on the rear in place of the duels.

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 12:55:53 PM »
If you guys want see a super single on a Eagle go to www.eaglesinternational.net click the project page check out Wayne Schell's (Rusty here) Eagle I think it page 5 or so then you can see first hand he is not going to give up the idea and I bet money he makes it work if it don't he will tell us   lol 

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Tim Strommen

• Electronics Geek
    • Bus Page
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 03:46:24 PM »
..Blow a drive tire and your down on rims/and suspension really quick! Out of controll? definite can't limp in on one tire. or out of traffic...

Michelin has done a lot of PR safety demos showing that you have about the same control with a blown super-single as you do a blown dual or steer tire.  Accelerate briefly to keep control (don't jab the brakes), then slowly apply the brakes as you pull over.  If you start to get squirrely again, just add throttle.  Assuming you don't lose the sidewalls (usually from hitting curbs frequently or under-inflated tires), the aluminum wheels sit down on the squished sidewalls as well as a steel rim does.  So long as you handle it like it has a blown tire, you should be able to put on another tire without issues.

It's my opinion that everyone should have Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-Systems, and on vehicles after 2007 they are standard fare (though not necissarily with the full numeric readout).  Most tire problems, with the exception of internal manufacturing issues and road debris, can be diagnosed by your tire pressures and temperatures.

-T
Fremont, CA
1984 Gillig Phantom 40/102
DD 6V92TA (MUI, 275HP) - Allison HT740
Conversion Progress: 10% (9-years invested, 30 to go :))

Offline 2xclutchin

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 04:55:50 PM »
Well my dad actually runs them on his big truck(Michelin X-one's), if i remember correctly he gained a full MPG. They are nice in that they stay on top of the soft ground much better. He has had one blowout since installing them but those were recaps (he wanted to test them so bought recaps so it wouldn't be such a loss if they were junk) since then hes bought a new set (virgin rubber) and hasn't had any trouble's. Hopefully he will post and correct me if i stated anything wrong but he's over the road right now so i doubt he will get a chance anytime soon, thus the reason I posted this info. holmgrenj is his screen name on here. Also his steer tires are still a regular 22.5
Hope this at least helped a little,
                                            Mike
Mike
Nothing beats a 2-Stroke
1952 MoPac GM PD-4103-1353 6-71 DD 4 speed
Work in progress
Thief River Falls, MN

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 05:02:55 PM »
Good response Mike. myself still on fence.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 06:14:23 PM »

Had to buy new tires for "HUGGY" before the trip to Jacks rally. Wanted super singles bad. I love big tires on the back of every vehicle. The main trouble for me was no stud centered wheels only hub.

Had to settle for a set of Hankooks.  Went from low profile Mic. to 11r24.5 and really like the difference
cruises down the interstate so much better. and helped my fuel mileage a bunch 6 going and7 coming back that makes 13 the way i figure.

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline garrick

• 1979 MCI 9 yet to be named
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 06:18:40 PM »
This is something I have been thinking about, I will be replacing the wheels and tires on the bus before doing any long distance stuff, and I think the singles have a good look. But was not sure they would work or even be legal. Something I like about the singles is the larger choice of wheels. One more thing to add to the wish list.
With lots of hard work and even more money some day I will be able to say I built that.1979 MCI 9 Plainfield IN.

Offline wayne

• 1990 Setra 215 HDH
  • www.mybusgarage.com
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 08:13:24 PM »
If you go to the Michelin website it shows a video of a tanker during a blowout. Supposingly has better control than duals during blowouts. Cost is a bit much$950 each. My buddy runs a fleet of 12 super trains with these on trucks and trailers. He did gain fuel mileage but says the tires wear premature (he still likes them). Michelin gave him some crazy deal to do the switch when they were just coming on the market.
I looked at doing this but couldn't justify the $ against the possible fuel savings. If you run these on the front you are defeating the purpose. There's more weight and more friction than a standard single tire. My Setra comes stock with 315s and what I ended up putting back on there. You cannot increase your front axle weight rating just by using larger tires.
The x-one wheels are only available as hub piloted which makes it even more work and cost (changing hubs and drums)to convert for those of us with older buses.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
All -

Somebody asked for photos, and TomC made the comment about only running super singles on a Scenicruiser, Crown or Gillig tandem.

Well, here you go - a Crown tandem that was spotted at the SaveMart Center in Fresno in August last year with super singles all around.  (Click on the image for full-size):

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal