Author Topic: The Powertech Ultimate diesel is a nice generator  (Read 12407 times)

belfert

The Powertech Ultimate diesel is a nice generator
« on: September 15, 2006, 06:34:44 AM »
I ordered a 8KW Powertech Utlimate Diesel generator a week ago Tuesday.  They happened to have a stock one and I had it in my trailer Monday evening as they shipped the day after my order.  Normal lead time is 1 to 2 weeks to get one built.

I got the generator installed last night and it is really nice.  The vibration is almost non-existant and it is reasonably quiet.  It is much more quiet and vibration free than the Onan diesel I had, but also cost twice what the used Onan cost.

I would certainly do the Powertech Ultimate over buying a new open frame diesel generator.  The extra $1,000 or $1,500 is worth it.  The web site price for the 8KW is $6,790, but they do bargain.  Talk to Jeff Jones if you want to buy one.  www.powertech-gen.com

Thanks to Jack Conrad who said to talk to Jeff.

Brian Elfert

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
Re: The Powertech Ultimate diesel is a nice generator
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 08:03:25 AM »
I have a Powertech 8KW.  It's a nice genset, but beware...SAVE YOUR INVOICE.  If you need warranty service, and you can not provide it, they will not help you.  When I called about an oil pressure sender problem, they told me that they don't maintain sales records and can not look up my sale.  I was just inside the warranty period but had to buy the sender anyway.  I bought it from IBP.  While I like the genset, I wouldn't buy another one just because of the poor after sale service.  There are afew other quality brands out there.

Ross

belfert

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 08:06:59 AM »
I have a Powertech 8KW.  It's a nice genset, but beware...SAVE YOUR INVOICE.  If you need warranty service, and you can not provide it, they will not help you.  When I called about an oil pressure sender problem, they told me that they don't maintain sales records and can not look up my sale.  I was just inside the warranty period but had to buy the sender anyway.  I bought it from IBP.  While I like the genset, I wouldn't buy another one just because of the poor after sale service.  There are afew other quality brands out there.

I am curious who else besides Powertech, Onan, and Generac make diesel generators for RVs that are in a sound enclosure?  I couldn't find anything else in my searching.  It doesn't really matter I guess as I already bought the Powertech already.

What company isn't using a computer these days to track sales?  I haven't seen my invoice yet.  Is it hand written?

Brian Elfert

Offline TomC

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 08:30:00 AM »
While it isn't enclosed, Wrico makes very nice generators also.  If you're on the left coast, Wrico is in Eugene. Or.  While Powertech is in Florida.  There are a bunch of manufacturers offering open Diesel generators.  Course staying with the main ones like Onan, Kohler, Powertech, etc, you'll increase your luck at getting it serviced.  While it is nice to get a generator that is already in an enclosure, I have observed that they are not as quiet as you could get them by building your own enclosure.  That's where Dick Wright with Wricointernational.com has all the answers.  I was at the Caverns a couple of years ago and there was a sticks and staples with the Onan 8kw Quiet power parked across from my bus.  When both of our generators were running, I could hear only his running until I was right next to my bus, where I could then here both of our gens running.  My point- enclosed do take alot of work out of mounting the gen.  But-I would use it as a starting point to further quiet the unit down.  Just mounting it in the baggage compartment with ducted intake and exhaust will help tremendously.  As I've said before, there is no such thing as a to quiet generator.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 01:38:30 PM »
Powertech generators.
A few years back I tried to buy a 10KW diesel generator set from Powertech.
I called the person in sales at Power Tech I think his name was (Jim Fudge) stated he would return my call and of course he never did.
So I bought a good used 17kw Yanmar diesel /Martin generator set from Ron The Bus Nut and it's been a good one.
jlv

belfert

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2006, 04:33:05 PM »
Powertech generators.
I called the person in sales at Power Tech I think his name was (Jim Fudge) stated he would return my call and of course he never did.

Boy, if I quit doing business with everyone who didn't return a phone call, there would be an awful long lilst of companies not to deal with.

I never had any problems dealing with Powertech other than everybody except the receptionist leaving early on the Friday before Labor day and I can understand that.  If I hadn't bought the Poweretch, the only other choice I know of for an enclosed generator would be an Onan or a Generac and I ain't going there.

Brian Elfert

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2006, 06:36:35 PM »
Powertech generators.

Boy, if I quit doing business with everyone who didn't return a phone call, there would be an awful long lilst of companies not to deal with.

I never had any problems dealing with Powertech other than everybody except the receptionist leaving early on the Friday before Labor day and I can understand that.  If I hadn't bought the Poweretch, the only other choice I know of for an enclosed generator would be an Onan or a Generac and I ain't going there.

Brian Elfert

But the enclosed Powertech is way louder than any non-enclosed genset with a remote radiator.  The blower on the Powertech is what makes the noise, and it is loud, especially from outside the bus.  I'm thinking about removing the radiator from the enclosure and remote mounting it with an automotive electric fan.  That will cut the noise down considerably.  Just as a test, I disconnected the radiator blower and sure enough, the thing was almost silent.  Maybe they've redesigned them to be quieter.  Mine is 3 years old now.

Ross

Offline TomC

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2006, 11:22:26 PM »
Ross- I would highly recommend that if you do remote mount your radiator that you NOT use a 12v radiator fan.  They make an annoying high pitch wherrrr and quite frankly are not powerful enough.  The 12v radiator fans were designed as supplements to the engine drivin fans, not a substitute.  What I used on mine is a single inlet squirrel cage blower with a belt driven 1/2hp totally enclosed fan cooled 2 speed motor.  On high it cools fine on the hottest of days, then when in camp, can turn it down to low where it is almost silent running.  I got mine from Graingers.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Ross

• www.newindsports.com
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2006, 04:08:25 PM »
I had thought of that.  The existing blower moves A LOT of air.  That's on my "want to do list" not my "need to do list" anyway.  Also, if I run a 110V blower, I can just wire it to the genset so when the genset comes on, so does the blower.

Ross

Ncbob

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 03:41:45 PM »
Actually, Ross, if you do use a large furnace type blower to pull air throught the radiator...you might wish to connect it to the load side of your system.  The P/O of my bus did that and in the beginning I questioned the intelligence of doing it that way....but after some reflection I've found that once I switch to the shore cord I can allow the 120v fan to continue to run to cool the generator enclosure and reduce the post run heat from coming up through the bay into the bus.

Also, I can start and test the fan before I leave post to make sure it's running properly before I start the generator and switch the load before leaving the campground.

FWIW

NCbob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal