Author Topic: Airline style coffee makers  (Read 12150 times)

Offline WEC4104

Airline style coffee makers
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:18:08 PM »
Two days ago, I was on a commercial airline flight.  Strapped into my seat, sardine-style, there was little to do and I was looking around the cabin. For some reason, I took special notice of the coffee maker in the galley.  I got to thinking about our favorite hobby, and what an interesting fit this style of coffee maker might be. Designed to brew coffee through all types of bumps and turbulance, without spilling a drop.   

I admit, airline coffee isn't exactly top notch, but I have to believe that the right ground coffee beans and pure water would raise this to acceptable levels. Plus, the thought of brewing a pot securely while on the road, has it's merits. Being a commercial aircraft part, I'm guessing new ones are probably quite expensive. Biut it might be the type of thing that might be found on an auction site.

So, anyone ever installed (or considered) these? Wonder how they obtain their water. Power requirements, etc.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline usbusin

• '60 PD4104-4355 (sold) and '01 Freightliner (sold)
Re: Airline style coffee makers
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 08:26:30 PM »
Gary D

USBUSIN was our 1960 PD4104 for 16 years (150,000 miles)
USTRUCKIN was our 2001 Freightliner Truck Conversion for 19 years (135,000 miles)
We are busless and truckless after 35 years of traveling

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:44:15 PM »
Do you mean like this?

http://www.sell-interiors.com/galley-oven-coffee-beverage/coffee-makers.html

2.75kW (115v/200v,  400Hz,                   3 phase)
typical brew
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline redbus

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »
We use a Mr. Coffee while running down the road all the time. Never lost a coffee pot off the counter in over 100,000 miles. We also crock pot while traveling.
Terry
"Far away there in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, Believe in them, and try to follow them." ~Louisa May Alcott~
www.awayweare.blogspot.com/

Offline Dave Siegel

• Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything!
    • Dave Siegel Designs
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 04:39:16 AM »
We use a Keurig coffee maker. The coffee comes in small pre-measured containers and is dispensed into a coffee cup in less than one minute. The beautiful thing about this system is that Jan likes "Hazelnut" coffee and  I prefer the "Black Magic" coffee. Simply lift the lid plop in a new coffee container and press the make coffee button in less than a minute any flavor you want is in your cup and the next cup and flavor never carries the last flavor with it.

The water to use that day is stored in a container on the coffee machine so it is always fresh and doesn't have to be hooked to anything.

The machine is about a hundred bucks.

Dave and Jan Siegel

P.S. Keurig offers more than a hundred flavors of coffee from around the world, plus tea and hot chocolate so we keep several flavors on hand all the time so we can supply guests with the beverage of their choosing.
Dave & Jan Siegel    1948 GMC  "Silversides"
            Pinellas Park, Florida
   Dave is Host to the "Help Assist Pages"
  (Free roadside help for Bus Conversions)
         www.help-assist-list.com

Offline Gary '79 5C

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »
I use a knock off Mr. Coffee maker and any left overs stay in the pot and is placed in the sink while driving. Not many times this happens as we kill the coffee, and stop an hour later to get rid of same.

We have looked at many others, but this works for me. As for the delectable choices of coffee out there, I guess I do not have an appreciation for those. Actually working in Paris, Tx. & I was accused of being a "Louisanna Oil Man", A little tooo strong in the AM. They never let me make the coffee again..
Experience is something you get Just after you needed it....
Ocean City, NJ

Offline justin25taylor

• 1974 05 Eagle and 1986 10 Eagle
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:08:19 AM »
We use a Keurig coffee maker. The coffee comes in small pre-measured containers and is dispensed into a coffee cup in less than one minute. The beautiful thing about this system is that Jan likes "Hazelnut" coffee and  I prefer the "Black Magic" coffee. Simply lift the lid plop in a new coffee container and press the make coffee button in less than a minute any flavor you want is in your cup and the next cup and flavor never carries the last flavor with it.

The water to use that day is stored in a container on the coffee machine so it is always fresh and doesn't have to be hooked to anything.

The machine is about a hundred bucks.

Dave and Jan Siegel

P.S. Keurig offers more than a hundred flavors of coffee from around the world, plus tea and hot chocolate so we keep several flavors on hand all the time so we can supply guests with the beverage of their choosing.

The ONLY way to drink coffee anymore..........
The "K-Cups" (coffee containing packs) are about $.50 each. You can find them on line for 1/4 that.....
Try the Caribou coffee. It's great!

Offline ruthi

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »
I have to say the keurig is the way to go also. A little more expensive that way, but, it is so nice to have a fresh brewed cup of coffee at any time. We mostly buy the Newmans own, good stuff. I see they now carry Folgers too. Need to try that. They also carry ice tea that you can make the same way. We buy the black, unsweetened kind. If you run it through twice, you can make two glasses of tea with one k cup. We bought one of the restaurant style makers. It hooks up to your water supply like an icemaker, and the water is always hot, and always full. We purchased it off of Ebay. It is the only way to come up with the professional ones. Just have to keep watching to get one. Before we got one of those, we used a regular pot and made it going down the road. Bonus for the keurig, every cup is fresh!
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline Charley Davidson

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:15:32 PM »
I am such a caffeine freak I kept 4 espresso machines on my bus in case one went bad plus a stove top espresso maker & a press.

Gotta have my frappe's with 2-4 shots of espresso every morning

Offline WEC4104

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:37:54 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Yes Usbusin, the link you posted is similar to what I was thinking about. I actually came across the same webpage through one of my own google searches.  I  guess I'm intrigued with the way you can build it flush into the galley wall.

I'm a little fussy about the water I use to brew my coffee. I'm convinced it makes a big difference in the taste. A small in-line filter near the coffeemaker would be a real plus, although it adds another thing to deal with while winterizing.

I also need to check out the Keurig units mentioned. Thanks.
If you're going to be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline pickpaul

• New Bus Not
  • New Bus Not
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 07:27:45 AM »
I swear by my Senseo when combined with a "coffee duck" you can get on amazon so you can use your fav coffee instead of the disks they sell. Saves you a fortune and makes great coffee at the touch of a button. You can get them second hand on craigslist for about 20 bucks!

Offline ruthi

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 08:12:48 AM »
Paul, Keurig has the same option. You can fill your own re-usable cups with what ever coffee you want. But, there are so many options for coffee now, it would be hard to not find a coffee you like. Also, you install a water filter in line to the coffee pot so the water is filtered. I am picky about the water also.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 09:20:47 AM »
We have one of these in the house.  I have never gone so far as to take it along in the bus but have thought about it.  It is just great.  At the push of a button, it grinds, brews, and steam froths the cream for my daily cappuccino.

http://www.delonghiusa.com/index.php?product&nid=43

You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline RJ

• VantarĂ© Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 04:41:54 PM »
WEC -

My dad used to brew his morning coffee in one of those old Pyrex glass percolators with the metal stand and basket in the middle, like the one pictured below.  "One teaspoon for every cup, and one for the pot" was his mantra.  So strong you could stand a spoon up in it, but oh, did it smell good!  (I still love the smell of brewing coffee, but cannot stand the taste of the stuff!)

Anyway, Dad would drink his coffee black, preferred it that way.  What always intrigued me, tho, was that sometimes he'd sprinkle just a tiny bit of salt (10 grains or so) into his cup, stir and taste.  Maybe a little more if necessary.

"Why salt, Dad?"

"Takes away the bitterness without adding sugar."

Hmmmm. . . True? 

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

bwze

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »
justin25taylor, where are you finding the Keurig pods for 1/4 the cost....I'd be real interested in that......the cheapest I've found is 42 cent a piece.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal