Author Topic: New to the forum, caught the bug, want the bus!  (Read 24588 times)

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
Re: New to the forum, caught the bug, want the bus!
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2011, 04:49:22 AM »
Les -

Welcome aboard!  FYI:

PD4104-2790 was delivered new in July of 1957 as fleet number E-3141 to Eastern Greyhound Lines, based out of Cleveland, OH.

PD4104-2970, OTOH, was delivered new in December of 1957 as fleet number A-2357 to Atlantic Greyhound Lines, based out of Charleston, WV.

Back in those days, Greyhound's maintenance was considered the best in the industry, so either one was well taken care of for the first ten years of it's life.  Hound traditionally sold off their equipment when the vehicle reached 10 years of age after the summer peak season, so these left the fleet either in the fall of 1967 or 1968.  After that, who knows?

Getting the VIN right can make a difference - one of these is a "rust belt" car, the other what's known as a "southern" car.  Have Michael send you a photo of the VIN stamped inside the exterior compartment underneath the driver for verification.  If he says he can't find it - red flag?

FWIW & HTH. . .

1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline LesBerg

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »
I'm hoping to see it in person.  We're hoping to go look at the bus "soon" and we'll know for certain.

The bus is stored off site with a friend of his, who coincidentally raises wolves, so getting in has to be arranged ahead of time.  :P

Offline TedsBUSted

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2011, 08:55:41 PM »
How 'bout it LesBerg?
------------------------
http://spokane.craigslist.org/rvs/2266900756.html
spokane craigslist > for sale / wanted > recreational vehicles

***RV/Bus Conversion 30 ft *** - $3000 (Rathdrum)
Date: 2011-03-15, 10:44AM PDT
Reply to: sale-pfz3j-2266900756@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Newly installed, but hook up is not complete. 671 Detroit Diesel Engine w/ 6 speed 700 Allsion transmission.
Will consider parting out. All offers considered.
-----------------------
Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.

Offline LesBerg

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 12:26:50 AM »
I saw that one and the price is good, but I've found that I really like the lines of the 4104 and with four of us and a black lab, I think the five extra feet the 4104 has will be a big deal.

It is only about 5 miles away, so if anyone wants me to take a look at it for parts or something, I could probably check it out. Bear in mind that I was an R&R mechanic, so I wouldn't be qualified to judge the condition of the internals of the engine or trans for you. I'd take the risk for myself, but I wouldn't want to pass a bad judgment on to someone else at their expense.

OK. I'll come clean. Something about that ad feels 'off'. Maybe a re-power project that wasn't as well thought out as it should have been, or something similar. I really couldn't say as I'm not familiar with the model. I don't know, but it feels odd and I've learned to trust my instincts with that. I've ignored it a few times and have been burned for my efforts.

Of course, the same could probably be said for the 4104 I'm looking at. <shrug> I'm too new with busses, I suppose. :P

Thanks for looking out for me though, I appreciate it.

Les

Offline Van

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline chev49

« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 12:38:02 PM »
that bus looked pretty rough to me. I think the one in tacoma for 2500 that runs is a lot better deal, or the recent 4104 one in medfore, ore for abt the same price would be better, however that one will need a bunch of work also.
If you want someone to hold your hand, join a union.
Union with Christ is the best one...

Offline LesBerg

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 09:46:05 PM »
I like the one from vegas a lot - it could easily be a much better deal than the one in Spokane. The one in Medford looks nice, but we need one that is already converted.

There are a few pros/cons between the spokane and vegas busses:

Spokane has a 7.5kw generator - vegas appears to have none
Vegas has a stove - Spokane has none
Vegas seems to have all the original windows - Spokane has had many blanked
both claim rebuild motors, spokane known to not have documentation
Vegas bus appears to have dual pantograph wipers - spokane unknown
Vegas has power steering - spokane unknown
vegas bus has known suspension leak and wiring problems - Spokane is completely unknown

looks like I have some phone calls to make.    ;D

Offline RJ

• Vantaré Conversion "Miss Vivian"
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
Les -

You've been looking, here are some more off CL for you to consider:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/rvs/2289698372.html    (This one's near Roseburg, OR)

http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/rvs/2211138855.html    (This one's on the OR coast w/ of Eugene)

http://eugene.craigslist.org/rvs/2220443650.html    (Also on OR coast, S of the one above)

http://yuma.craigslist.org/rvs/2232791924.html  (This one's in Yuma, AZ, but he's also got a listing saying he'd deliver to western WA.  Interesting thing here is that it's been repowered with a Cummins/Voith powertrain out of a transit.)

See what you've started???

FWIW & HTH. . .

;)
1992 Prevost XL Vantaré Conversion M1001907 8V92T/HT-755 (DDEC/ATEC)
2003 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagon "Towed"
Cheney WA (when home)

Offline LesBerg

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2011, 09:58:24 PM »
Maybe?  
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/rvs/2261941163.html

Wow! a few phone calls later, and I _really_ wish we had the cash to move on this one. No documentation of the rebuild, but the P.O. to the current seller is who had the conversion and rebuild done. PO was either owner of the converting/rebuilding trucking company or the owners son, so it's not hard to imagine that it was done and done well.

Either way, rebuilt or not, all it needs to be ready to go is a full set of batteries and a pair of tires. Considering that I'm expecting to replace all the tires and batteries in this price bracket, that would put me four tires ahead of the ball game.

Or it would if I had the money.

Where did I put that winning powerball ticket? :P

<starts humming George Thorogood's tune "Get a haircut (and get a real job)">

Offline Van

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2011, 01:07:37 PM »
Les, if ya end up in the LV area, lemme know if ya need a hand.702-664-4265 ;)
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline LesBerg

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2011, 11:45:48 PM »
van,

thanks for the generous offer.  If we get to that point, we'll certainly let you know. I'd certainly appreciate a set of experienced eyes to look a bus over.  Of course, it'd be good to meet a fellow busnut!

Thanks
Les

Offline RnMAdventures

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2011, 02:12:38 AM »
The 4104 in Yuma looks pretty good. I may check that one out.

It has a  Voith auto tranny with a three stage tranny brake, is that a good thing? It has a Cummins Diesel LTA 10, that's an add on, is that a good thing as well?
Mike & Rosemarie
1964 PD4106-2626
DD8v71 & Allison v730

Offline LesBerg

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
sooo, we have income again and we're going to find a way to make this work.

In our price range (sub $8000) we're expecting to have to replace the tires and batteries, as well as other significant work. We think the bus in Las Vegas is a better starting place than the one in Spokane. It has all the factory windows and the CO just finished fixing the power steering (increased the price to $5000). It doesn't have a generator, but the places we'd be parked initially would all have shore power. It doesn't have bunks for the kids, but the floor plan wouldn't take much work to set it up the way we want it and we have bunks we can install. Yeah, we'd replace the carpet, probably with tile.

We would have to replace all the batteries and two tires on the LV bus to drive it, but we think it's the better deal, even with an 1150 mile 'delivery' drive. If the bus is otherwise roadworthy, the idea would be to drive it around LV for a few days to get used to it and see if any other issues pop up before we hit the road for parts north.

No. I've never driven a bus before, but I drove M113 and deuce-and-a-half for three years in the army, so I'm familiar with a similar engine family and diesel trucks with cantankerous manual transmissions.  ;D

Offline zubzub

• '53 4104. Roadworthy but rough around the edges.
    • pics of my bus etc....
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2011, 05:17:45 AM »
watch out for floor rot it is a PITA.  The floor is plywood and when folks put carpet and underlayment down it can rot out fast....after having been fine for years....carpet is a sponge and keeps things wet.   BTW on the '04 the wood floor is part of the structure (monocoque) so it is fairly important.

Offline TedsBUSted

« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2011, 06:03:28 AM »
Just my opinion, but there's something in the description, story, and pictures, -I can't exactly put my finger on it- that to me, makes the Vegas coach seem tired, despite the recent rebuild claim. Maybe because of all the claims that every problem will be minor and easy and cheap for a buyer to fix?

So patching that simple minor PS hose leak jacked the price 500 bucks?  ???

Ted
Bus polygamist. Always room for another, especially ‘04 or ‘06 are welcome. NE from Chicago, across the pond.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal