Author Topic: Update on Mikes Mom  (Read 3789 times)

Offline bubbaqgal

Update on Mikes Mom
« on: March 21, 2011, 01:58:17 PM »
Mike just sent me a text stating the hospital is discharging his mom today at 7:30 PM.  They feel they can do nothing more for her and she is in a lot of pain.  Hospice will be better able to treat the pain for her at home.  He says the doctors have given up but he hasn't since he, like many of us, believes in the power of prayer.  He says they need all the prayers they can get. 
Faith is not believing that God can, It's knowing that God will.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
Re: Update on Mikes Mom
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:05:29 PM »
They are get'n them from here!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline belfert

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:06:17 PM »
I fail to understand how a hospital couldn't treat pain as well as hospice?  I suspect the real truth is that a hospital is far more expensive.  That said, there is no reason to be in a hospital if other options are just as good.

I'll say a prayer that she isn't in pain.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
I fail to understand how a hospital couldn't treat pain as well as hospice?  I suspect the real truth is that a hospital is far more expensive.  That said, there is no reason to be in a hospital if other options are just as good.

Brian, I believe what was meant was that since there is nothing more the hospital feels they can do for her, that they were sending her home and then Hospice would be able to treat her for pain in the comfort of her familiar surroundings and less cost to Mike/Medicare.

Not that Hospice could actually do anything that the hospital couldn't. (just cheaper and @ home!)

Many times that is exactly how the Drs. have to word it in order to get ins/medicare to pay!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 05:22:22 PM »
Mike:  I thought a long time before posting this.  I hope things go well for you.

Speaking as one who has been through this recently. and will be going through it again soon enough, sometimes enough is enough and easy surroundings and support are the right thing.  To all things there is a season.  When the season is done, the leaves fall, and trying to avoid the inevitable is often not a blessing.  Mind you, it's the hardest decision one will ever make.

Mike - I lost my mother a year and a half ago in similar circumstances, and I'm in the long, drawn out process of losing my dad to a dementia disease right now.  I don't pray, but you and your mother are absolutely in my thoughts.  You have my best possible wishes.  No one can understand what you are going through, even as we go through the same thing.  Each is different, special, precious.  I can share, though. 

Brian

1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 09:57:13 PM »
Mom and I are praying everyday for both
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 09:57:56 PM »
I fail to understand how a hospital couldn't treat pain as well as hospice?  I suspect the real truth is that a hospital is far more expensive.  That said, there is no reason to be in a hospital if other options are just as good.

They did this with my mom too, recently. Hospice is an end of life medical care. There are a variety of reasons a hospital will send the patient home in the end days, one being that the hospital kinda wipes their hands and wants the hospital bed back for others that they feel they can help.
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 05:28:56 AM »
Having Dorothy home with Mike is probably best, since the doctors cannot do anything else for her. At least, at home, she is in familiar surroundings and Mike will be able to spend more time with her. We will keep both of them in our prayers.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline ruthi

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 06:34:40 AM »
We will keep them both in our prayers also.
Mixed up Dina, ready for the road as of 12/25/2010
Home in middle Georgia, located somewhere in the
southeast most of the time.
FIRST RALLY ATTENDED: BUSSIN 2011!

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 07:33:10 AM »
I just received this from Mike.  Please keep them in your prayers.  Jack

"I got to bring Mom home from the hospital and she is resting in apparent comfort (courtesy of Morphine).  But she has been unconscious and it has been three days since she has been able to eat or drink anything.  Her breathing is steady and comfortable (courtesy of Oxygen & the Morphine) but her heart rate is rapid, weak and irregular.
    It is with intense sadness that I recognize that the hospital was probably right, her time is growing very short.  My mind is numb, I can’t think about anything but this, sleep evades me and sadness breaks me down almost hourly through the day and night.  I pray almost constantly that God will grant a miracle, yet I also know that He has appointed a time for everyone and if this is His will then I bow to it, albeit with the most intense sadness and grief I have ever felt in my life.
     The hospice care people have been tremendous.  A night and day difference from the hospital.  I thank God for their dedication, diligent efforts, caring and understanding. 

Mike"

Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:04:05 AM »
Thank you for the update

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 09:07:51 AM »
  I just received this from Mike.  Please keep them in your prayers.  Jack

Thanks for forwarding that, Jack.  I've recently been through this myself and hearing Mike's descriptions of things breaks my heart for him.  I hope that he knows that he has lots of people behind him; it truly makes a lot of difference.  Prayers from here, too.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal