Author Topic: Eagle Question  (Read 8913 times)

Offline Cary and Don

Eagle Question
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »
We got our Eagle this week.  We are on our way home from Texas to California.  Staying in San Antonio for a few days.

Now we have Eagle questions.  The owners were really nice, but there were a few questions we thought we could get answers for here.

First, does the tag or boogie axle, raise and lower?  We didn't see any switches for it. 

Second,  When the key is turned past the on position, it sounds like a solenoid is activating something air powered.  Any idea what that could be?  It has a separate start button.

Third,  The rear seems a little lower than the front.  Is there an adjustment for that?  The rear has a little sway in it back and forth.   The suspension has been rebuilt recently,  have the receipts to prove it.

It's a great bus. The engine purrs like it should.  The brakes work great and it has two stage jakes.

Don  and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline Eagle Andy

• Cowboy Coach
  • 1968 Silver Eagle # 7481
Re: Eagle Question
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:18:01 PM »
Well welcome to the madness of Eagle Bus ownership, I have a 68 Model 5. Now unless someone changed it,the boggie does not raise, Can't help you on the switch Iam sure someone smarter than myself can figure that out for you. And as far as the rearend Lets hope whom ever did the rebuilt set up the  suspension following Eagle guide lines , There is a certain way that it needs to be done. You can also go to the Eagles web page @ Eaglesinternationl.com for more help.

How long are you going to be in San Antionio ? I will be in the area on Wednesday for work maybe we could visit if your going to be there for any amount of time. Good luck
1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 06:45:05 PM »
The clicking is the shut down skinner valve,you need to get the problem with the sway check that is caused by the stabilizer bars either the bushings are gone or the lock adjustment threads are bad ? the nuts are not welded on are they ?.If side to side movement that is the hanger bushing or caps
If you go I 40 to CA I live 8 miles north of Needles and will be glad to help you cover things on a Eagle

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Flatspot

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 06:51:39 PM »
Yes,
I have to agree with Eagle Andy. Welcome to Eagle ownership.
The bogy axle stays down if it is a stock set up.
The ride height is adjustable but it needs to be done in a specific order so the weight stays correct on those bogy's that don't raise. The web site that was referenced gives specific instructions.
Wouldn't care to guess what is being activated/deactivated when you switch the key switch past the 'run' position. I know that doesn't happen on out bus but that really doesn't make any difference because I bet they aren't the same color either.
If you are traveling on I-40 through New Mexico we are right off the interstate at Exit 178. We'd love to have you stop by and look at your new bird.

Larry
Zuzax, New Mexico (Exit 178 I-40) 12mi East of Albuquerque

1956 PD4104 6-71T
1988 Eagle 15 CC Conversion
1983 Mack W Utility Bed Service Truck (road assistance in New Mexico)

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 07:09:17 PM »
I wish I wasn't so swamped with work.  I'd come up and see you.  I'm in Pleasanton, just 30 miles south.  I'm getting ready for a trip to Bethany Missouri Friday.  I need to get two new tires for my Eagle before departure.  We will be in the coach for 6 weeks.  Have a safe trip and do stop by and visit Clifford.  He's a wealth of knowledge.

David

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:32:44 PM »
were i you...see if these folks have time to give your coach a once over.Eagle Service Center for 50 years.

Krause Bus Sales & Service
(210) 534-6711

2301 Nogolitos Street
San Antonio, Texas 78225

We got our Eagle this week.  We are on our way home from Texas to California.  Staying in San Antonio for a few days.

Now we have Eagle questions.  The owners were really nice, but there were a few questions we thought we could get answers for here.

First, does the tag or boogie axle, raise and lower?  We didn't see any switches for it. 

Second,  When the key is turned past the on position, it sounds like a solenoid is activating something air powered.  Any idea what that could be?  It has a separate start button.

Third,  The rear seems a little lower than the front.  Is there an adjustment for that?  The rear has a little sway in it back and forth.   The suspension has been rebuilt recently,  have the receipts to prove it.

It's a great bus. The engine purrs like it should.  The brakes work great and it has two stage jakes.

Don  and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 07:50:35 PM »
Are there any web sites with photos of the areas in question?  We know every inch of the GMC,  but this is a different animal.  If we knew where to check we probably could tell if they are worn.  We need a picture. 

We were planning on going I-10 like we came.  How hard is it to get across to I-40?  We were planning on pulling out of here on Tuesday,  but that isn't exactly set in concrete.

The weird thing about the sway is,  at first it was bad.  Then we stopped for lunch and it seemed fine after that. 

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 08:37:42 PM »
We dug through the receipts.  The torsiletts, spelled wrong I think, shackles, brakes, front spindles, shocks all around, tie rods, adjusting push rods, set the ride height, all the other parts for a rebuild were done in 2003.  I doubt they put 1000 miles on it since. The work was done by Jefferson Truck, Trailer, Bus in Oklahoma City,  Oklahoma.  It looks like they were told to fix what ever needed to be fixed. The bill was over $25K. This owner was very picky.

Does anyone know the company?

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:34:01 AM »
We dug through the receipts.  The torsiletts, spelled wrong I think, shackles, brakes, front spindles, shocks all around, tie rods, adjusting push rods, set the ride height, all the other parts for a rebuild were done in 2003.  I doubt they put 1000 miles on it since. The work was done by Jefferson Truck, Trailer, Bus in Oklahoma City,  Oklahoma.  It looks like they were told to fix what ever needed to be fixed. The bill was over $25K. This owner was very picky.

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

How hard it is to get to I-40 depends on where you are?  Where are you?  If you are still in San Antone then I-40 is north of you.  You can run west to Ft. Stockton and take #62 north to Lubbock, pick up I-27 into Amarillo.  #285 north to Roswell and eventually Vaugh isn't all that bad.  Farther out is I-25 north to Albq. NM, either way will get you to I-40. 

You have plenty of options. 

As for your second post, the nature of your problem is clear when you say .... "The work was done by Jefferson Truck, Trailer, Bus in Oklahoma City,  Oklahoma."  Send me a PM and I will tell you why.

BCO

Offline rv_safetyman

• Jim Shepherd
    • Bus Project Details
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 05:48:05 AM »
I have deleted my original post and replaced it with the following:

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340

I know of several folks who have had Jefferson do suspension work on their Eagles and I have not **HEARD** of any  problems.  They are considered an excellent parts supplier for Eagle Bus parts.

Jim
Jim Shepherd
Evergreen, CO
’85 Eagle 10/Series 60/Eaton AutoShift 10 speed transmission
Somewhere between a tin tent and a finished product
Bus Project details: http://beltguy.com/Bus_Project/busproject.htm
Blog:  http://rvsafetyman.blogspot.com/

Offline David Anderson

• just outside San Antonio TX
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 05:53:16 AM »
were i you...see if these folks have time to give your coach a once over.Eagle Service Center for 50 years.

Krause Bus Sales & Service
(210) 534-6711

2301 Nogolitos Street
San Antonio, Texas 78225

I went to Krause a year or so ago.  He no longer works on coaches.  He is exclusively doing school bus work only, now.  He said the school districts are less picky and don't care what the cost is. (Taxpayer money)

David

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 07:03:04 AM »
Look at your invoice from Jefferson if the work was done 4 or 5 years ago it was done right Roy was still alive then and he was a sharp cookie on Eagles and your Eagle may just need a little adjustment new torques settle and a adjustment is required,25 grand he replaced everything,fwiw I don't think Jerry even does work on Eagles any longer.
He tried to replace Roy but never could find the right guy as Roy was a tough act to follow.
That's my story and I am sticking too it lol 
 Sorry I see you say 2003 it was done right Roy was still here then, check your fender well for height Roy set the Eagles at 46 inches from the flare he didn't use the 14 inches from the corners

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »
The work was done in 2003.  I doubt there is 5000 miles on the rebuild.  We thought it might be some adjustment issue.  We have all the receipts from the original conversion in 1991.  Money was never an issue with anything the owner did. It spent most of it's time parked in Palm Springs.  There is less than 10k miles since the original conversion.  We feel this was a great find.

We really need to get home.  I think we will study the adjustment instructions when we get home.  We need to run down all the manuals for the Eagle.

Nice to know that the company that did the work was experienced with the Eagle.  Have to agree, that sometimes things can go bad with work being done.  We  just paid a shop $400 to hook up the tail lights on our truck so we could tow it and still had to redo them when we got it back.

Don and Cary
1973 Eagle 05
GMC 4107
Neoplan AN340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

Offline wal1809

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 08:08:48 AM »
If your asking for advice I'll give it.  Get to I-40 and take Luvrbus up on his offer.  I wish he was my neighbor.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Van

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
Cary&Don, Congratulations ! We wish you all the best on your new journey. All the best!
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal