Author Topic: BUMPING TOPICS  (Read 13440 times)

Offline Connel

• Eagle 05 w/Ser60 & HD4060PR
  • Day Eagle landed & before total rebuild.
Re: BUMPING TOPICS
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »
I agree with Cliff, Ed, Ace and prevost82.

Put the rally info on the calendar. If one wants to attend a rally or get info they can go to the CALENDAR

An Ace is right the rolling banners just take up room and are very distracting NOT attracting.

Just my opinion

Connel
Central Oklahoma

Refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2006, 05:17:32 AM »
Richard,

At the top of the page, under you "Hey, Richard, you have 436 messages, all of which are new." welcome message,
there's a link that says "Show unread posts since last visit."  What Marc is talking about is using that link to find only the messages that have been posted since the last time you logged and checked. This link is the only thing I use on the board, unless I'm searching for something specific. Every morning, I hit that link, and I get only the latest posts. Usually, it's no more than a single page. When I read a specific post in the list, I always click on the button at the right that takes me to the most recent postings within that thread. When I'm done reading, I use the back buttone (<alt> left-arrow) to return to the list, and the thread I just read is no longer in the list, so the list shrinks with every thread I read.

There are many threads I don't read, because they don't pertain to my interests, and I just don't have the time. So every couple days, I'll select the link that shows ALL unread threads, and then select the link that says "mark as read".

By using the board in this manner, I keep it managed to my time and needs and don't miss anything. 

That's just what works for me.

Personally, I think the rally information should not be included in the Bus Discussion folder, but rather have it's own folder under the MAK Publishing Bulletin Board. That way, if you're interested in rally stuff you can go there and look. If you're not, you don't have the bus related threads cluttered with stuff you don't really care about. 

I feel the same way about the flea market stuff. Make a separate folder. Easier to manage that way, too.

This is similar to the way BNO is set up, and it works well there. They have a link which displays only the threads with posts from the last day, so you can see only the new stuff. I'm sure this board has something similar that would combine all the folders and display only the new posts.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline oldmansax

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2006, 05:31:14 AM »
I agree with those who would like to keep the rally info on the calendar.  A second suggestion would be to keep the main board for bus related questions ONLY as the guide lines say. If we want to have other content, can another section be started? "Other Stuff" or "Hot Info" or "News and Jokes You Need To Know" or something like that. 

I usually don’t read the scrolling info because it goes by way to slow. I don’t have the time to wait for it.

I have to deal with around 400 emails a day. I usually read news from 8 to 10 online publications plus technical stuff I need to keep up with. I am not complaining, it's just the nature of my business. The only way to do that is organization.

I come to this board and one other because it is an excellent resource for bus conversion information. It would be nice to have one place for pertinent bus info only.

I am not complaining and don't want to stir up trouble either. This is still one of the better boards I read.

My $0.20 worth (inflation + I am expensive!  ;D)
1995 Wanderlodge WB40 current
1985 Wanderlodge PT36
1990 Holiday Rambler
1982 Wanderlodge PT40
1972 MCI MC7

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2006, 06:10:37 AM »
Thanks very much Craig. That was exactly the information I was looking for. That is what makes this board so great. Quite truthfully, I had never thought of using that option.
Richard

Richard,

At the top of the page, under you "Hey, Richard, you have 436 messages, all of which are new." welcome message,
there's a link that says "Show unread posts since last visit."  What Marc is talking about is using that link to find only the messages that have been posted since the last time you logged and checked. This link is the only thing I use on the board, unless I'm searching for something specific. Every morning, I hit that link, and I get only the latest posts. Usually, it's no more than a single page. When I read a specific post in the list, I always click on the button at the right that takes me to the most recent postings within that thread. When I'm done reading, I use the back buttone (<alt> right-arrow) to return to the list, and the thread I just read is no longer in the list, so the list shrinks with every thread I read.

There are many threads I don't read, because they don't pertain to my interests, and I just don't have the time. So every couple days, I'll select the link that shows ALL unread threads, and then select the link that says "mark as read".

By using the board in this manner, I keep it managed to my time and needs and don't miss anything. 

That's just what works for me.

Personally, I think the rally information should not be included in the Bus Discussion folder, but rather have it's own folder under the MAK Publishing Bulletin Board. That way, if you're interested in rally stuff you can go there and look. If you're not, you don't have the bus related threads cluttered with stuff you don't really care about. 

I feel the same way about the flea market stuff. Make a separate folder. Easier to manage that way, too.

This is similar to the way BNO is set up, and it works well there. They have a link which displays only the threads with posts from the last day, so you can see only the new stuff. I'm sure this board has something similar that would combine all the folders and display only the new posts.

craig

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Burgermeister

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2006, 04:40:35 PM »
If you go right into the main page, you get everything, including the threads that are bump posted to the top.

If you go to the "Show unread posts since last visit"  I think  you avoid most of the bump posts,  at least I've never felt the "bumped to the top" threads to be a problem and I guess that's the reason why.

YMMV

Marc

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 04:56:29 PM »
Yup, what the others have said.

Rally info off the main BBS.

Help the new folks

Post something intelligent or entertaining to existing threads.

Thank you for letting us feel democratic, as in democracy, the voting part, not the party....

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2006, 06:43:31 AM »
I just wanted say one more thing on this, since I started this whole thing.

My whole intention was to stop the BUMPING (posting in a topic just to move it to the top of the list)

If someone has relative information, comments, questions, new updates...etc  Its great...

But, there had been (in my opinion) an excessive amount involving rallies.

I did not want to exclude Rallies from the general BBS....

If we could just end the BUMPING everthing is "Great" as far as I am concerned.

The Poll results can easily be read in many ways, depending on your position on this matter.

Which is obvious from the written responses under the poll.

Good luck with that one Nick  :-X

And last I want to publicly apologise to BK

It was his bumps that started me on this topic, but he is by NO means the only offender.

BK,  didn't mean to throw you under the bus...so to speak..... ;)

Alright....Back to BUS stuff

Cliff

1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2006, 06:49:18 AM »
and on a minor note - I kind of enjoy the playfulness of an occaisional rolling banner.  along with lots of happy faces.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Guess that puts me in a minority position - but not the first itme.   :D

Kind Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2006, 06:55:43 AM »
I agree with you on an occasional rolling banner. I believe the question is what constitutes occasional. LOL
Richard

and on a minor note - I kind of enjoy the playfulness of an occasional rolling banner.  along with lots of happy faces.   ;D  ;D  ;D

Guess that puts me in a minority position - but not the first itme.   :D

Kind Regards, Phil
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Dallas

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2006, 07:01:48 AM »
Nope, I was an offender also!

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise to everyone. I didn't consider the results of my actions.
Which puts me on the same bus as everyone I've hollered at on this board.
I consider myself chastised.

Dallas
A more humbled moderator.

I just wanted say one more thing on this, since I started this whole thing.

My whole intention was to stop the BUMPING (posting in a topic just to move it to the top of the list)

If someone has relative information, comments, questions, new updates...etc  Its great...

But, there had been (in my opinion) an excessive amount involving rallies.

I did not want to exclude Rallies from the general BBS....

If we could just end the BUMPING everthing is "Great" as far as I am concerned.

The Poll results can easily be read in many ways, depending on your position on this matter.

Which is obvious from the written responses under the poll.

Good luck with that one Nick  :-X

And last I want to publicly apologise to BK

It was his bumps that started me on this topic, but he is by NO means the only offender.

BK,  didn't mean to throw you under the bus...so to speak..... ;)

Alright....Back to BUS stuff

Cliff

Offline DrivingMissLazy

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 07:21:17 AM »
Hey guys and gals, it was in the intent of good humor and I think everybody enjoyed it for awhile. It never really bothered me, but I guess it was starting to get a little old.
I suspect that a few members diecided to go as a result of the additional advertising. At least I hope so.
Richard

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2006, 10:52:44 AM »
Another downside to bumping is that this may bump someones post asking for help to the second page before it gets an answer.  Many peoiple veiwing the BB never go past the first page.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Len Silva

• Angle Parked in a Parallel Universe
    • Leonard Studio
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2006, 03:12:59 PM »
Can this sysrem be changed to allow more than 20 topics to a page?  I think if it can be changed to 25-30, that would put the vast majority of posts on the first page.

Len

Hand Made Gifts

Ignorance is only bliss to the ignorant.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal