Author Topic: heat exchanger question  (Read 3863 times)

Offline bruceknee

heat exchanger question
« on: April 15, 2006, 09:50:46 PM »
I am going to use a marine gen. My initial plan was to remove the heat exchanger since there will not be an unlimited supply of salt water. Is is feasable to run the domestic water on it's way to the water heater through the exchanger? In theory, it would pre heat the water when the gen is running.

Offline TomC

Re: heat exchanger question
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 11:25:30 PM »
Yes in theory, you're right-it will heat the water.  But remember, there have been years of guck running through the system, along with most likely cast iron surrounds.  The better way is to run a coolant loop through the water heater with copper piping.  I'd suggest completely getting rid of the marine stuff and convert it back to what it was originally before it became a marine generator.  Use a remote radiator with a belt driven squirrel cage blower (belt driven can run slower-and be quieter than a direct drive blower) and both you and your neighbors will be the happiest with the very quiet generator.  Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
Re: heat exchanger question
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 12:31:44 PM »
Bruce,

I wonder, If you pipe the genset radiator through your H2O heater, than through your hydronic coil for the HPs , than anything else you have planned,
before sending that water to your radiator. If thats a good idea or not! Boy, my thoughts are using simple bypass valves to utilitize this option any time
you want extra heat while you are running your gen. anyway! Whats Your Thoughts?

Nick-
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal