Author Topic: Towbars  (Read 5504 times)

NCbob

Towbars
« on: April 16, 2006, 02:20:35 PM »
Being a newbie and having just returned from picking up my bus I have a lot to learn....one area is towbars.  I was fortunate in that a friend allowed me to use his Blue Ox towbar (10,000 lbs.) and it manhandled my little 2300# Scion toad as I expected without a problem.

In shopping around for a towbar of my own I note that Blue Ox used to make hydraulic towbars, there's quite a number out there for sale, but apparently Blue Ox has gone to the adjustable rigid bars.  I sure would like to have an Aladdin (aluminum 5000#) and like most folks I'd like to find a bargain...so far it ain't there.

My question (finally):  Was there a problem with the hydraulic type which caused them to go to rigid-adjustable?

Any info would be appreciated.

NCbob

Offline busguy01

Re: Towbars
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "Hydrolic" Don't believe they made one using that kind of deal. Anyway -- used one at towing world. com or hitch world.com or hitch trader. com
They operate several web sites for used. can contact them at blueox.us also
Started with nothing - still have most of it left!
1963 Eagle 01 with Detroit 60 series done (Gone-sold!)
MCI EL3 in progress. raised roof & Slides
2009 Revolution 42 Sticks and staple
Summer - Yankton, South Dakota
Winter- Sebastian, Florida

Offline Chuck Newman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 04:35:50 PM »
Blue Ox had a factory refurbish plan a few years ago.  Don't know if it's still available.
I've used an Aventa and currently using an Aventa II.  Love it.  New handles make
unlicking the bars much easier.
1989 MCI 102A3, Series 50, DDEC III, Allison 740D

Offline NJT5047

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 07:59:19 PM »
Don't believe any are hydraulic.  They resemble hydraulic cylinders, but are just shafts inside a tube so the they can be quickly moved fore and aft  to get hooked up.  My Blue Ox has "boots" on it and looks like what you describe. 
There are plenty of towbars listed on Ebay, but often the bars bring almost new market price....some are new.
'Tis the season!  Towbars are in demand this time of year.  And what you are looking for is a nice unit that would sell quickly. 
I reckon that since you just used a towbar, you know how it works...they all work about the same.   When you hook up, pull the pins and the cylinders will move freely to allow easy attachment.  Once both are attached, pull forward and the pins will latch in and away you go.   I'd highly recommend a  unit that stores on the coach, and not on the toad. 
I found a good price on a set of brackets from hitchtrader.com for my Cherokee.  Sounds like you already have brackets on your toad. 
Cheers, JR
JR Lynch , Charlotte, NC
87 MC9, 6V92TA DDEC, HT748R ATEC

"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others.”

Ayn Rand

Offline Steve

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:05:31 AM »
Fast Fred has a roadmaster 5000, with mounting pads, listed  in the flea market section of the BNO BBS for $xxx, which is about half price.  Steve

Sorry Steve,
No For sale items on BBS!
I only crossed out price
Nick Badame

Offline Eagle

• 1985 Eagle
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:33:22 AM »
The Blue Ox tow bars are very hard to beat.  They are not surpassed when it comes to service.  They have reps. at 95% of all rallies and will service your tow Bar at no cost to you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal