Author Topic: First Time Rally for Me (What to Expect)  (Read 3541 times)

Offline chart1

First Time Rally for Me (What to Expect)
« on: April 08, 2011, 05:09:15 PM »
I have plans to attend the SERBN rally @ Palmetto Cove. Just wanted to see if any of you that have been there before can fill me in on what to expect, things in the area to do.
thanks
Cory
1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
Re: First Time Rally for Me (What to Expect)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »
Expect a GREAT Time.  Food, fun, and very friendly fellow busnuts.  We plan to arrive on the Monday before the rally starts (if you pay for 6 nights, you get the 7th night free). Lots to do & see in the area from Flea market to wine tasting.  Lookin' forward to meetin' ya'll.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline chart1

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 06:06:19 PM »
I am also planning on arriving on Monday if all goes well.
1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise

Offline kyle4501

• NEWELL in South Carolina
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:10:16 PM »
Hey Cory,
There is lots to do in the area, the campground hosts will be able to fill in the details.

There are some nice state parks close by. Jones Gap has a waterfall that is about a 30 minute hike in. Nice place to have picnic lunch!
Life is all about finding people who are your kind of crazy

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please (Mark Twain)

Education costs money.  But then so does ignorance. (Sir Claus Moser)

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 06:11:15 PM »
Look for  folks with  barking lap dogs and 2 huge Great Danes that for some reason found that your front door is their favorite place to dump a load. Also a generator that has some strange vibration sound that runs 24/7 parked beside you. A neighbor that helps himself to your cooler all weekend after asking for one and his wife that would rather stay in your bus than hers. Don't forget about the "You know what you should have done" guy that shows up everytime you are talking about your bus. He's generally with the guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that did something. But it's all worth it when you hear the noisy generator finally stop at 5 am and you get 10 minutes of sleep before you hear that ole Detroit start up and hit high idle after 20 minutes trying to get the air up to 30 lbs! Finally!!!! Then someone is beating on your door... "You know anything about air compressors?" Other than that I have heard that they have some pretty good cinnamon rolls at some of them!  :D ;)
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 06:46:12 PM »

Chopper has it about right. Just watch out for that old 04 that comes through and kills all the mosquitos.

also watch out for the guy in the airstream he is trouble.\

uncle ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »
Lasting friendships
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Ed Brenner

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
Some of the best people you will ever meet will be at Palmetto Cove. Seems like a place that just don't get old.

Yep I got one of those barking lap dogs.

Also got one of those obnoxious Harleys!!  ;D

Both will be there!!!

See ya there!

ED
Ed Brenner
77 Eagle 05  Murrells inlet, SC
 " While We're At It " A Busnut's most costly Phrase !!

Offline chart1

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
Sounds like fun. Can't wait. I was wondering if I should haul my bike. How many are bringing motorcycles would love to take a ride.
1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 04:32:42 AM »
No bikes, but we will have 4 of our kayaks (2 flat-water and 2 white-water).  Hope it rains the day before we arrive, so I can paddle the creek behind the campground.  Jack

PS: There will be a small SE Cruisers rally the weekend before near Dearing, GA (west of Augusta).  Email me if you are interested in attending it  jconrad@busnut.com
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline bevans6

• 1980 MCI MC-5C
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 05:23:09 AM »
Make sure you get the right directions on how to find the site.  The wrong directions, including those from Google maps, are truly and distinctly wrong in about as many ways as it's possible for directions to be wrong and still get you to where you wanted to go.  The right directions are quite lovely...

Water and electric hookups are at the very back of the parking spots, not at the side, so bring a long enough cord and hose.  No sewer, so bring an empty grey/black tank.  We had a great time, our first and so far only rally, went to visit the BMW plant tour, loved visiting the downtown of the local town.  There was a bar-b-que competition on in town when we strolled about.  Coming in south from Tennessee over I26 gave us a great opportunity to contemplate nature, gearing and horsepower at 25 mph for what felt like an hour as we came up the pass.

Brian
1980 MCI MC-5C, 8V-71T from a M-110 self propelled howitzer
Allison MT-647
Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia

Offline Mike in GA

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 07:44:49 AM »
The area is a dream for motorcyclists. Plenty of twisties. Two runs that end up with great scenic views are Caesar's Head and Table Rock. The former actually looks down on the campground, off in the distance a few miles as the crow flies. We've had a couple rally attendees come with their bikes from as far as central FL, just to ride those beautiful mountains.
     We have 37 buses officially registered, and there are bound to be a few more who will just show up. We'll try to take all comers, but sometimes it gets dicey as far as having enough food ordered. Anyone who hasn't registered, pls visit our website  and climb aboard in 30 seconds using PayPal:
     www.southeastbusnuts.org
Memo to Kyle:  throw on a few extra potatoes!
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 08:01:37 AM »
Look for  folks with  barking lap dogs and 2 huge Great Danes that for some reason found that your front door is their favorite place to dump a load. Also a generator that has some strange vibration sound that runs 24/7 parked beside you. A neighbor that helps himself to your cooler all weekend after asking for one and his wife that would rather stay in your bus than hers. Don't forget about the "You know what you should have done" guy that shows up everytime you are talking about your bus. He's generally with the guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that did something. But it's all worth it when you hear the noisy generator finally stop at 5 am and you get 10 minutes of sleep before you hear that ole Detroit start up and hit high idle after 20 minutes trying to get the air up to 30 lbs! Finally!!!! Then someone is beating on your door... "You know anything about air compressors?" Other than that I have heard that they have some pretty good cinnamon rolls at some of them!  :D ;)

Aw C'mon Scott, don't sugar coat it, tell us how it REALLY is. Hahahahahahahahahahaha.... Oh, I believe I just hurt myself.  This:"He's generally with the guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that did something" I know that guy, see him on here all the time as a matter of fact.

BCO

Offline Mike in GA

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 08:05:52 AM »
PS: Most campsites at Palmetto Cove do have full hook-ups including sewer. Most are 30 amp, some are 50 amp. Also some reserved for handicap/disabled. Here's a link to their brochure, which includes driving instructions and area attractions.

http://www.palmettocove.com/?Directions:Brochures

Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:18 AM »
First stop should be a Bass Pro Shop or other for a pair of waders it get deep

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal