Author Topic: Installing a roof hatch in mc5  (Read 5137 times)

Offline gears80

Installing a roof hatch in mc5
« on: September 18, 2006, 11:13:21 PM »
How would I go about installing a roof/escape hatch. I have to cut a hole and try to put on a hinged cover that doesn't leak. Has anyone done this before? Thanks

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
Re: Installing a roof hatch in mc5
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 04:29:29 AM »
Gears,

I added one to the back of my GMC.

I bought from a marine surplus store a front deck hatch for a boat.  Watertight with a 1/4"  smoked plexiglas type lid.

It had all the seals and the hatch can be held open by an adjustable arm or flipped completely out of the way.

It had a minor scratch on the cover, but for $50 vs $500 new it was a deal.  Very heavy duty.

You will need to frame around the opening to compensate for the hole you cut.

Last, but not least...Give it the test in the store to make sure it has enough clearence (width). ;D

Good luck

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 04:32:00 AM »
You can probably find one that someone has removed from an 8 or 9 and installing that. Pretty simple.

I moved one of mine in my 9. You can find photos of the installation on my website, or write me.

I'll me removing the front one, hopefully next month.

craig
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline gears80

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 09:22:13 PM »
Oh great ideas. Thanks. Grumpy, you said you will be removing one? What are going to do with that one?

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 04:41:36 AM »
Not real sure yet. There's an enclosed trailer in the plans, and I was thinking of using it in that.

Also not sure if I will get it removed this fall, or if it will have to wait till next spring. I don't have a shop to work in, and work on the bus has been nonexistent lately.

You may also want to look at sizes. The hatches in my 9 are kind of small compared to ones in some of the other
MCIs. I wanted to replace the rear hatch cover because it is a bit banged up. A friend offered me one he had removed. When he brought it to me it was quite a bit larger than mine and would not fit. He did not remove the framing, only the cover, or I'd get you in touch with him. Won't do you much good if you don't have the framing to go with it.

Where are you located? Maybe we can find one for you that's close by.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline gears80

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 02:16:50 PM »
Spokane Washington. I'm in no hurry. You have given me good where to start this project. thanks

belfert

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 05:33:55 PM »
A guy was selling new Transpec escape hatches on Ebay a while back for less than $100 each.  They are are the economy models used on small shuttle buses instead of the higher grade ones used on coach buses, but they work.  I bought one as I lost my hatch cover on the interstate during my trip home.

He may still be selling them yet.

Brian Elfert

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 08:23:26 PM »
Here is one that I put in, I framed it out with square stock before cutting the center rib.
The hatch opens like any other camper roof vent ( with a crank handle)< and also in a emergency just pull the red handle and the hole thing opens screen and all (good for roof access). 8)
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline gears80

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 10:14:10 PM »
Thanks for the pictures. I found a roof vent that is 21x21, what is the size of the one you put in?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal