Author Topic: Air scoops  (Read 7162 times)

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Re: Air scoops
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »
have used rear doors open partially on my MCI 8 which helped. also misters(wouldn't recommend for long run) as they tend to damage radiator with extended use. New radiators finally solved my problem.  Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 02:57:44 PM »
Instead of closed scoops, would some sort of spoiler that directed air in be better?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • Global Moderator
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 04:25:25 PM »
Instead of closed scoops, would some sort of spoiler that directed air in be better?

Hmmm, I have thought about adding a 3/8" or 1/2" wickerbill to the front edge of the radiator opening?   Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 04:47:50 PM »
This discussion always intrigues me --- when was the last time you had heat problems at speed (ie over 55 mph) --- Even when my 8V71 was just about toast it would always run cool enough if we were rolling down the road but when I hit a hill and slowed down THEN I would need more cooling --- Everyone says the scoops don't work at speed BUT DO help when you are going more slowly  --- so what to do what to do --- the misters are ALWAYS an interesting topic too --- do misters cool with water running off the rads or do they cool by evaporation???

I ALWAY like to hear (should that be read) the opinions and ideas for this --- not a problem for me with the L10 but entertaining to see what people think

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline lostagain

• MC5C
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »
My 5C came with the scoops. 6V92/HT740, 90 injectors. It does get hot going uphill on a hot summer day. I took the scoops off, and there is NO difference. Plus it looks better without them, IMO. On my to do list is a transmission cooler.

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
Of course, we have been leaving out another standard, which is the full length mud flap going across behind the wheels.

artvonne

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »
Of course, we have been leaving out another standard, which is the full length mud flap going across behind the wheels.

It seems I read something like that once before, like on old SAAB's or something. Are you suggesting a full flap ahead of the engine would act as an air dam? That it would create more low pressure aiding air flow through the rads?

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »
Yes, as I understand it, it was standard practice with GMC's.

Offline dougyes

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 04:51:51 PM »
Any more info on the mudflaps? That sounds interesting!
Misters are only needed on a steep climb, so they are rarely used enough to clog up the radiator. We installed some on a DL3 and they work well and are only needed on a hot climb.

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »
Just try and use soft water in those misters. Regular water can lime it up and compound your problems in time.
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.