Author Topic: Air horn troubleshooting, MC9  (Read 9920 times)

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
Air horn troubleshooting, MC9
« on: September 20, 2006, 05:57:05 AM »
Good morning group!

I have a problem with an intermittent air horn.  By this I mean, when I hit either the floor switch or the buttons on the steering wheel, the air horn may or may not activate.  And if it does, it may not stay activated while the floor or steering wheel buttons are depressed.  More specifically, I may have to strike the buttons multiple times to get any kind of extended horn blast.  Well, actually, more of a VW "honk" but that is another story.

How would I start to troubleshoot this?  Is there a quick list of likely suspects as to what causes this problem? 

Thank you!  Best Regards, Phil
Northern Arizona / 1983 - MC9, 1995 MCI DL3-45

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
  • Slightly modified 1982 MC9
    • bus.gumpydog.com
Re: Air horn troubleshooting, MC9
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 06:14:34 AM »
Air horns?  My MC9 has electric horn by the steering box.  I also have intermittent problems, but mine are caused by the buttons on the steering wheel. They don't have very good contacts in them, so you have to get them pushed "just right" to get them to work. The floor switch works well.

If you have similar setup, with electric horns, and not really air horns, then see if you can isolate it to the buttons or not. If you wiggle the button a certain way and make it work, then the problem is the contacts in the buttongs. If not, start by checking connections on the horns themselves. They will likely be corroded. Next, find the horn relay in front junction box. Check connections there. Short relay to make sure it works properly.

There isn't much in the system that can go wrong.

If you really do have air horns, then disregard this post, as it probably doesn't apply.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

http://bus.gumpydog.com - "Some Assembly Required"

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 06:40:33 AM »
Well, that would be embarrassing.  OK, I will look @ the horn some more.  First determining whether it's electric or air.  Sigh...   I thought there was an air hose going to the horn, but of course, I could be totally wrong - again.  If in doubt, I will post a pic.

Thanks Craig,  Phil

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 03:18:26 PM »
Phil,

My GMC had a floor air horn and a steering wheel electric horn.

I ended up putting in an electric valve for my air horn and eliminated the stock electric horns.

I used the steering wheel button for the activation switch for the air solenoid.

My electric horn was intermittent at best.

When I took the steering wheel off to fix my turn signals, I cleaned the contacts on the steering wheel button and it works the air horns perfect.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

belfert

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 05:19:19 PM »
Air horns are usually pretty long while electric horns are short. 

I try to NEVER use my horn, but my friend found that the button on the floor next to my dimmer switch is an air horn and the steering wheel button is an electric horn.  About the only time I have ever used a horn is in a parking lot when I'm right behind a dummy who is backing right into me.

Off the topic, but a lot of people use horns way too much.  They are supposed to be emergency devices, not a way to express your displeasure at someone else's driving.

Brian Elfert

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 05:45:07 PM »
Off the topic, but a lot of people use horns way too much.  They are supposed to be emergency devices, not a way to express your displeasure at someone else's driving.

Yeah, that's what the middle finger is for!  Of course, it never hurts to accentuate the middle finger with a blast from a train horn  :D
Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 08:27:58 PM »
Phil,
That sounds like an electric horn ( check the ground).
My "air horn" only works when the coach is totally aired up. ???
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 08:37:54 PM »
Do your air horns sound different than the electric horns?  Just curious - whether I use either the steering wheel or floor button, the horn still sounds like a weanie horn.  No difference.

Inquiring minds want to know!   ;D

Best Regards, Phil

Offline Ednj

• Ed & Sue Skiba
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:59:10 PM »
Phil,
There is a little difference.
The steering wheel and foot switch sound like a europen car, but the air horn is the loudest horn I've ever heard.
MCI-9
Sussex county, Delaware.
See my picture's at= http://groups.yahoo.com/group/busshellconverters/
That's Not Oil Dripping under my Bus, It's Sweat from all that Horsepower.
----- This space for rent. -----

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 09:08:27 PM »
 ;D  ;D  ;D Those are WAAAAYYYY TOOO COOOOOL    ;D  ;D  ;D

Nice work Ed!

- Phil

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2006, 03:43:23 AM »
The say you can tell a redneck by the number of horns on his vehicle sooooo! I have 1 pair of electric horns, 2 pair of air horns and 1 train whistle. Here is how they are connected. On the switch panel on the left side of the drivers seat in our MC-8 is an electric switch for the electric horns, a ball valve for the train whistle and a double throw electric switch for the 2 pair of air horns (down is the low tone pair and up is for the higher tone pair). The horn buttons in the steering wheel are my Panic Buttons When I hit either of these, the electric horns and both pair of air horns are activated. I have never used this mode yet, except to test the operation. This mode is "for emerency use only".  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

Offline gumpy

• Some Assembly Required
    • bus.gumpydog.com
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2006, 04:33:49 AM »
The horn buttons in the steering wheel are my Panic Buttons When I hit either of these, the electric horns and both pair of air horns are activated. I have never used this mode yet, except to test the operation. This mode is "for emerency use only".  Jack

... and in the news today, an automobile vanished on the freeway and investigators are trying to determine why. Witnesses say a large motorhome with what's described as a lightning bolt on the side of it was traveling along at a safe speed when the driver of a small automobile cut in front of the motorhome and slammed on his brakes. The witness said there was a, "cacophony" of sound which seemed to emenate from all parts of the motorhome, and in an instant, the small automobile just disappeared in a cloud of smoke! The witness, a self-proclaimed redneck, said of the explosion, "It was like these here harmonics just all came together at once and the dang thang  just went... BOOM!"  Neither the motorhome, nor it's driver, could be located. Investigators suspect some sort of perpetual energy machine may be in use on the motorhome.

Craig Shepard
Located in Minnesquito

Offline plyonsMC9

• Global Moderator
  • Big Wheels Turnin'
    • PhilLyons.com
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2006, 06:00:39 AM »
Craig, VERY well done, says Phil, LOL   ;D  ;D  ;D  :D

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2006, 02:45:06 PM »
Hello Phil.

MCI was fond of putting an electric switch in place of the foot operated air valve when an air horn was not optioned for the bus.

If the foot switch looks suspciously similiar to the top of the high beam switch, it's electric. The air horn foot button has a rubber type bulb shaped cover.

If you had an air horn, you'd know it from standing on the foot control!

Both MCI and Prevost have gone to electric solenoids for air horn activation in the new stuff I drive part-time.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline JackConrad

• Orange Blossom Special II
  • 73' MC-8 8V71/HT740 Southwest Florida
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2006, 04:31:00 PM »
... and in the news today, an automobile vanished on the freeway and investigators are trying to determine why. Witnesses say a large motorhome with what's described as a lightning bolt on the side of it was traveling along at a safe speed when the driver of a small automobile cut in front of the motorhome and slammed on his brakes. The witness said there was a, "cacophony" of sound which seemed to emenate from all parts of the motorhome, and in an instant, the small automobile just disappeared in a cloud of smoke! The witness, a self-proclaimed redneck, said of the explosion, "It was like these here harmonics just all came together at once and the dang thang  just went... BOOM!"  Neither the motorhome, nor it's driver, could be located. Investigators suspect some sort of perpetual energy machine may be in use on the motorhome.

Craig,   I like that!!.  I printed it out to put in our Orange Blossom Special II scrapbook.  Jack
Growing Older Is Mandatory, Growing Up Is Optional
Arcadia, Florida, When we are home
http://s682.photobucket.com/albums/vv186/OBS-JC/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal