Author Topic: Shutter Air Intake?  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
Shutter Air Intake?
« on: April 23, 2011, 04:24:16 PM »
I was looking over the bus to summerize it today (that's the opposite of winterize).  In front of the left radiator, just next to where the shutter used to be, there is a scoop that appears to be bringing up air from the engine compartment.  The book shows it in the shutter diagram and labels it, "Air Intake".  I guess that this was to bring up preheated air from the engine compartment to help in cold weather.  That would mean that I really should close it off since, without shutters, it is another short circuit in the cooling system.  Is that what others have done?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline lostagain

Re: Shutter Air Intake?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »
I believe what you are describing is the air intake for your engine. Air enters there in front of the left rad, and goes to your air filters, then to the blower and to the engine. So don't block it!  :)

JC
JC
Blackie AB
1977 MC5C, 6V92/HT740 (sold)
2007 Country Coach Magna, Cummins ISX

Offline Melbo

• MC8 under construction
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:06:43 PM »
If you are going to block it you will need to provide another source of air to your air filter or redesign your air intake and air filter setup

Melbo
If it won't go FORCE it ---- if it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway
Albuquerque, NM   MC8 L10 Cummins ZF

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 05:13:46 PM »
I had always thought that the engine air was coming through the louvers just forward of the radiators, which is also what the manual describes.  However, it is possible that the scoop is another air source too. 

Offline Tenor

• Three Men and a Tenor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 05:42:25 PM »
Both the small inlet and the louvered panels are air intakes on my MCI 7.  I am certain of this, because when the bus was parked for years without the screen over the radiator, birds got in that small intake and actually DIED in there!  Spent many hours cleaning the passages out!

Glenn
Glenn Williams
Lansing, MI
www.threemenandatenor.com
1968 MCI 7 Ser. No. 7476 Unit No. 10056
8v71
4 speed Spicer

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 06:12:10 PM »
Thanks

There is an opening in the engine compartment that leads to the scoop.  That's what convinced me that it was for some sort of hot air return system.  However, it now appears that both of those and the louvers go to a plenum that connects to the air filter.   

Offline rgrauto

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 06:34:34 PM »
Lin. on my 5a the scoop - vent is pulling air across the voltage regulator so I assumed it was to cool it. just my guess.   HTH   Glen

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 08:42:41 PM »
Glen,

Mine is also a 5a and the scoop is above the voltage regulator compartment.  However, that compartment is closed in on my bus, so I do not see how it could be cooling the regulator.  Of course, I do not know what may have been altered through the years.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal