Author Topic: Larry & Penny Thompson Park in Fl - NO BUSES??  (Read 16411 times)

Offline white-eagle

Re: Larry & Penny Thompson Park in Fl - NO BUSES??
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 05:23:02 AM »
Jack,

I have no problem doing that, but I do not want to be 8 hours away from home and when they see my bus and say sorry we do not allow those in our park.  I have two girls and my wife with me when I camp.  I would probably not be a very nice BUS person if I got there and they would not allow in with my Bus.  They ask for make and year model when I was making a reservation.  Now they have my make model and address.  Oh well......

James

i agree with mugsy.  if i have to play word games, then i think maybe there are better places.  It's their park, and as far as i'm concerned, their rules.  Not a lawyer court issue imo.  i'd just find another place, or ask further for the manager to get clarification because of recommendations you got on this board.  if they still say no, post it here.  but the last thing i want to do is say "motorcoach" and be turned away after driving out of my way and my planned visit.
my 5 cents.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

artvonne

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2011, 05:38:45 AM »
  If y'all would stick together and boycott a few of the places that turn a fellow knut away, that stuff would end pretty fast. They feel pretty bold turning away one or two here or there. But I never saw a campground that wanted to lose out on a bunch of campers.

Whats rediculous is that many of the places that would turn away a Bus, allow tenters with crappy old cars. Do they ask how old your car or tent is? Sorry, but of all the creeps your likely to run into in a campground, some tenters can be a real hair raiser. And sometimes thats the area to restrict alcohol.

Offline jackhartjr

• Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2011, 07:06:14 AM »
I think we are beating a dead horse here.
The campgrounds don't want hippie buses, (My goodness...I hope I don't tick off any old hippies here!LOL)...coming in with some of the 'stuff' that entails.
Just like the no alcohol signs posted...they don't want trouble. 
Just tell them you have a 40-foot motorhome...unless yours really looks like crap you should have no problem.
I have seen none at the rallies I've been to that would have been turned away.
Jack
Jack Hart, CDS
1956 GMC PD-4501 #945 (The Mighty SCENICRUISER!)
8V71 Detroit
4 speed Spicer Trannsmission
Hickory, NC, (Where a call to God is a local call!)

Offline pipopak

• I am the 99%
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:11 AM »
Probably the main concern about converted buses is quality of the work performed ( no stuff attached with bailing wire or bungees) and risk of fire or worse from stuff done with total disregard of common sense. I am talking about stuff like having a propane water heather installed in a closed bay right next to the propane tanks, wiring done with extension cords, and crap like that. I've seen it. If you show up in a piece of junk (quality-wise) that has a manufacturer's label on it and looks good they figure that, if **it happens they may be able to sue somebody for damages (knowing that your sorry @$$ is worth zilch no matter if you have insurance or not). In this world the people who screws up do it not just for them but for everybody else also.
Linux, when Windoze just will not measure up.

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »
Probably the main concern about converted buses is quality of the work performed ( no stuff attached with bailing wire or bungees) and risk of fire or worse from stuff done with total disregard of common sense. I am talking about stuff like having a propane water heather installed in a closed bay right next to the propane tanks, wiring done with extension cords, and crap like that. I've seen it. If you show up in a piece of junk (quality-wise) that has a manufacturer's label on it and looks good they figure that, if **it happens they may be able to sue somebody for damages (knowing that your sorry @$$ is worth zilch no matter if you have insurance or not). In this world the people who screws up do it not just for them but for everybody else also.

No bungees? LOL they work as 2 of my bay door handles/hinges haha!! Believe it or not, I was never turned away at a campground with them either....
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline pipopak

• I am the 99%
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:45:16 AM »
No bungees? LOL they work as 2 of my bay door handles/hinges haha!! Believe it or not, I was never turned away at a campground with them either....
[/quote]

(Sigh!)

Offline ArtGill

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
Go to your local courthouse and file a document of operating under an assumed name.  You file "your name" as operating as "High Tide professional Coach Conversion".  Then you have your local plastic engraving make a label for your coach with the date of conversion.

Boom, you have a commercially converted coach.  The company did not do well and decided not to do any more conversions after the first one.

Art
Art & Cheryll Gill
Morehead City, NC
1989 Eagle Model 20 NJT, 6v92ta

Offline chart1

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2011, 05:38:48 PM »
Never say bus in any situation, campground , police!!! I just recently got pulled over in Boston,Ma for driving in the left lane coming out of a toll were the I-pass(Prepaid Toll) was in the left lane. The officer said it was restricted from bus use, I preceded to tell him that it was an RV and not a bus. He argued that it was a bus, and I asked then why do I not have to go through the weigh station that says Buses weigh!!!
He said stay out of the left lane and have a good day!!! Yes officer!!!
When do the bus rules apply? What determines when we are a bus or rv, motor home. The way I look at it is if my plates say rv and my insurance card say motor home then it is a RV/Motor Home ...Right?
1976 MCI 8
8v71/740auto
8" roof raise

Offline abacusblack

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
Thanks for comments.

Jack,

I have no problem doing that, but I do not want to be 8 hours away from home and when they see my bus and say sorry we do not allow those in our park.  I have two girls and my wife with me when I camp.  I would probably not be a very nice BUS person if I got there and they would not allow in with my Bus.  They ask for make and year model when I was making a reservation.  Now they have my make model and address.  Oh well......

Mike,

You posted on my previous post and your comment about L&P was the reason I called them.

Thanks,

I just ran across this same thing. My employer knew I am considering a bus conversion and noticed that a RV resort he goes to had a notice on their website stating  Bus Conversions not permitted. They have a 36 ft new class A motorhome.
I decided to look this up and found a few that did state NO bus conversions or no converted buses. Here are a few I found.

Ma-Tar-Awa RV Camper Park. San Diego area... City Of Florida City Camp Site RV Park... Palm Creek Golf and RV Resort... Casa Grande AZ.  White Bluff Amenities RV Parks. Bear Creek Quail Run Parks... Whitney Texas.  Compiled from a Google search.
Perhaps these are real fancy resorts?
James
Brian...,Mission,British Columbia,Canada...( Vancouver area)

Offline eagle19952

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »
Here are a few I found.

Ma-Tar-Awa RV Camper Park. San Diego area... City Of Florida City Camp Site RV Park... Palm Creek Golf and RV Resort... Casa Grande AZ.  White Bluff Amenities RV Parks. Bear Creek Quail Run Parks... Whitney Texas.

I'll bet if Willy or Dolly,Reba or Dave Matthews showed up in there converted "motorcoaches they would be welcome......

and I have first hand knowledge that the "55 0nly"parks have to ley in unders unless they are wholly privately owned....

Rules are made to be contested.
Donald PH
1978 Model 05 Eagle w/Torsilastic Suspension,8V71 N, DD, Allison on 24.5's 12kw Kubota.

Offline pipopak

• I am the 99%
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2011, 08:45:14 PM »
Go to your local courthouse and file a document of operating under an assumed name.  You file "your name" as operating as "High Tide professional Coach Conversion".  Then you have your local plastic engraving make a label for your coach with the date of conversion.

Boom, you have a commercially converted coach.  The company did not do well and decided not to do any more conversions after the first one.

Art

Really love this!.

Offline Mex-Busnut

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2011, 10:09:35 PM »
Now James:

We ALL know which "converted bus" you were planning to take to this poor guy's luxury RV park:

;D :D
Dr. Steve, San Juan del Río, Querétaro, Mexico, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way.
1981 Dina Olímpico (Flxible Flxliner clone), 6V92TA Detroit Diesel
Rockwell model RM135A 9-speed manual tranny.
Jake brakes
100 miles North West of Mexico City, Mexico. 6,800 feet altitude.

Offline trucktramp

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 04:06:11 AM »

I'll bet if Willy or Dolly,Reba or Dave Matthews showed up in there converted "motorcoaches they would be welcome......

Well...maybe not Dave Matthews especially if there are any bridges involved.  ;D ;D ;D
Dennis Watson
KB8KNP
Scotts, Michigan
1966 MCI MC5A
8V71
Spicer 4 Speed Manual

Offline Jeremy

• 1987 Bedford Plaxton
    • Magazine Exchange
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 04:32:36 AM »
...and I have first hand knowledge that the "55 0nly"parks have to ley in unders unless they are wholly privately owned....

Rules are made to be contested.

Are "55 only" parks meant to be for retired people only? That's illegal age discrimination, surely. If the land is being used to conduct a business then statute law applies, regardless of the ownership of the land. There have been cases here recently where Christian types running bed-and-breakfasts from their own homes have been taken to court for refusing to allow gay couples to stay.

And what about the 'disabled only' and 'mother and child only' parking spaces in supermarket car parks? How are these not clear cases of illegal discrimination on the grounds of disability and sex? I've always assumed that such signs are technically 'advisory' only, and don't hesitate to ignore them if I feel it is reasonable to do so (such as if there's a whole row of such spaces which are unoccupied).

Jeremy
A shameless plug for my business - visit www.magazineexchange.co.uk for back issue magazines - thousands of titles covering cars, motorbikes, aircraft, railways, boats, modelling etc. You'll find lots of interest, although not much covering American buses sadly.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 04:38:06 AM »
Their Loss!  More of the really good places and people available for us elsewhere---when all the better than thou go there!           Just plain Busnut  Bob   AND PROUD OF IT
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal