Author Topic: EASTBOUND AND HAMMERED DOWN  (Read 10331 times)

Offline rcbeam

Re: EASTBOUND AND HAMMERED DOWN
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »
Mr. BCO... loved your post.  Wish I could put my thoughts to "paper" like you do.  I thoroughly enjoy reading posts from people on here that are good at writing... makes it easy to follow along and I can see it all in my 'minds eye'.  I am 58 and been struggling with the 'getting older' thing for a while now.  Occasionally thinking back to when I was young and sometimes wishing I could do it over, then other times glad I can't.  As difficult as it is getting older and I think mostly because of the bodily restrictions (health issues) mostly life is better now than it was then... simpler and all the things I thought were so damned important I now realize didn't matter to a hill of beans.  I am much more relaxed and reasonably happy with who I am.

When young my dream was to be a bus or truck driver when I grew up.  I think there is something in my psychological makeup that draws me to 'being mobile'.  That never happened as life took me down a different path.  So now at this later stage in my life I, several years ago, discovered BUSNUTS... and realized maybe I wasn't so crazy afterall and that even though I never was a bus driver, I sort of still could be.  I could buy my own.  So i did.

Still haven't had much time behind the wheel yet.  But hopefully that will come to pass this summer.  You mention about imagination in your posts, I imagine myself driving all the time.  When I drive around town in m car I pretend I'm in the bus and I try to (within limits) drive my car like I was in the bus.  I consider what if scenarios in the car and say "how would I turn here if i was in the bus?", etc.  Making turns and parallel parking are my two weeknesses so far.  I did some searching the archives here and on the BNO and read some really good posts on how to make right turns, etc.  Haven't found one yet on parallel parking.  Have searched on youtube and found a few video's but most are with school buses.  At any rate, as I get off my point, even though I cannot drive her right now, I drive her every day in my mind... and that helps keep me focused and the dream alive.  Maybe I'm weird I don't know.

To me, there is nothing like the smell of diesel exhaust, and the special sound of a DD two stroke.

Thx for listening.

Russell
MC8
Lexington Ky
Russell
1976 MC8
Lexington KY
www.sweeteveningbreeze.blogspot.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 02:36:39 PM »
Wow Russel you do have it bad lol

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 02:44:09 AM »
Hey Russell, go for it! 

The first time I even remotely thought of owning my own bus was in 1977 or there-bouts.  Just a few years after the last fuel crisis by the way.  I hung onto the dream for a long, long time, until 2006 when this last one came about (the final bus or chapter you might say).  There was the usual baggage to carry along with it, pay for a house, raise a couple of kids, college and finally the empty nest.

But it can be done Russell.

Don't let anyone deter you, it can be accomplished, even under trying economic circumstances and hard times.  Kind of ironic, I used to dream of long stretches of highway all to myself, no traffic, no trucks, just mile after mile of nothing but me and the countryside.

And now I have it ... But $4.00 a gallon never entered into it.  One good thing about memories, "they are still bought and paid for" and that makes them free nowadays.  That has to be worth something somewhere.

BCO

Offline Van

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 09:13:18 AM »
When I was a little squirt, My Mom would let me get 1 matchbox car per month. The first being a bus (of all things ;D), trucks, some bulldozers and the like. The dreamer in me started at this young age. Imagining the real, but only in scale form.
 Yes, absolutely! never allow any one to deter you in making those dreams come true!!! I had always dreamed of having one of these brutes and doing it my way.
  These days, I find my self immersed back in the scale realm of things :o, looking for what is no longer available, a custom scale replica of our Eagle. :(  Of course there are a few bus's available on EB, one a 1/35 replica of a model 15 (diecast) dressed in traditional Grey Hound colors, and a hand full of 1/64 scale models done to look like some entertainers bus. I started out ( first model) with a 1/ 64 version of our bus, then decided to do a larger (1/32 or there abouts) version of Okie's. I may just be dreaming here, but what the hell! I have over 100 hours in this one, and allows for more detail to be added. Dreams are good for the soul, and do come true if you put your mind to it.

If any one is interested in having a scale replica of their bus (Eagles for right now) built, or building one for yourself, give me a call 702-664-4265 or send me an E-mail off line. I will have these on display at the rally in Utah this weekend so come on out! ;) Thanks and happy Motoring ;)

The Dreamer ;D

B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 10:15:06 AM »
When I was a little squirt, My Mom would let me get 1 matchbox car per month. The first being a bus (of all things ;D), trucks, some bulldozers and the like. The dreamer in me started at this young age. Imagining the real, but only in scale form.
 Yes, absolutely! never allow any one to deter you in making those dreams come true!!! I had always dreamed of having one of these brutes and doing it my way.
  These days, I find my self immersed back in the scale realm of things :o, looking for what is no longer available, a custom scale replica of our Eagle. :(  Of course there are a few bus's available on EB, one a 1/35 replica of a model 15 (diecast) dressed in traditional Grey Hound colors, and a hand full of 1/64 scale models done to look like some entertainers bus. I started out ( first model) with a 1/ 64 version of our bus, then decided to do a larger (1/32 or there abouts) version of Okie's. I may just be dreaming here, but what the hell! I have over 100 hours in this one, and allows for more detail to be added. Dreams are good for the soul, and do come true if you put your mind to it.

If any one is interested in having a scale replica of their bus (Eagles for right now) built, or building one for yourself, give me a call 702-664-4265 or send me an E-mail off line. I will have these on display at the rally in Utah this weekend so come on out! ;) Thanks and happy Motoring ;)

The Dreamer ;D

That last shot, that looks incredibly close to mine ... No wait a minute?  If they don't take you up on the offer to have one made they are crazy Van, these replica's that you are building are just short of incredible.

I sent the photo's you should have them.

BCO

Offline Chopper Scott

• MCI 7
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »
I'm waiting for the windows and BCO sitting outside in the lawn chair. Then it'll be exact!! :D
Seven Heaven.... I pray a lot every time I head down the road!!
Bad decisions make good stories.

Offline Van

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 10:10:15 PM »
LOL Oh Boy! you just gave me an Idea ;), this'll be great!! tee-hee! Thanks Scott ;D

Up to no good ;D
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 10:18:06 PM »
Doesn't look like you quit smoking or do those belong to the dog I know she is smart but I figured her for the Virgina Slim type  LOL

good luck 
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 02:26:59 AM »
Someone is high-jacking my thread, woe is me, someone is high-jacking my thread.

A guy goes into a dentist's office.

The dentist says, "How can I help you?"

The guy says, "I'm a moth."

The dentist says, "Excuse me?"

The guy says again, "I'm a moth."

The dentist says, "I think maybe you should be seeing a psychiatrist, not a dentist."

The guy says, "I saw a psychiatrist."

The dentist says, "So what are you doing here?"

The guy says...  "Your light was on."

(Take my wife ... Please!)

You hijacking my thread boys?

BCO

Offline Eagle Andy

• Cowboy Coach
  • 1968 Silver Eagle # 7481
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 06:19:29 AM »
yup happens to the best  ::)
1968 Model 05 Eagle # 7481 Miles City MT

Offline Van

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2011, 06:59:18 AM »
NOooo! You mean.... ::) :D ;D  Hey Clifford!, yeh, I started the gooey patches ( they kept falling off :'( ) Let's just say I scaled back on the tobaco sticks lol!

Okie the windows are in, bring a chair over!! ;D

Sun's up, back to day dreaming :-*
B&B CoachWorks
Bus Shop Mafia.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal