Author Topic: New guy looking for a little input on my conversion! Ongoing questions!  (Read 21067 times)

Offline demodriver

Ok I have recently purchased a 84 eagle model 10. The only thing that we have done so far is pulling most of the seats out.

I have a few questions as to how I should plan my budget.

My wife and I had planned on just running two roof top ac units in the place of the two factory roof vents. Is this a good idea? Or would I be better off making new holes and leaving the vents?

Anybody ever got the units that have heat built in them as well? Do they work very well?

Does the factory restroom in the bus have a fresh water supply somewhere or it just like a porta pot with just a big ol tank of nasty?

I have alot more questions but I will wait til these are answered. Thanks for all of the info that I have already recieved from the site! I dont think that I would tackle this project without the internet lol

Offline happycamperbrat

I have a few questions as to how I should plan my budget.

Hi! Congratulations on your purchase and hard job of removing the seats! Welcome and be sure to add your birthday to your profile as Im the birthday girl here  ;D

I cant answer your questions about the Eagle as I dont own one. As for the air cond, it would help if people knew where you plan on taking it (like to the desert in 110* or something more hospitable?)

As far as the "budget" lol....... whatever you decide, multiply it by at least 4!
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline buswarrior

• the old one: '75 MC8 with an 8V71 HT740
Yes, welcome, and put your general where-abouts in your profile or your signature.

I'd be inclined to keep the existing holes in the roof and add some new ones for the AC. There are many days/nights that those open holes with a screen attached is really nice and quiet compared to droning AC's.

As for heat strips, depends where you are. Just fine for taking the chill off, but they won't heat it in the snow.

happy coaching!
buswarrior
Frozen North, Greater Toronto Area
new project: 1995 MCI 102D3, Cat 3176b, Eaton Autoshift

Offline luvrbus

Eagles have fresh water for the toilet a small door at the rear on passengers side with a quick connect fitting toss all the factory toilet stuff not going to be much good for you and on the Eagle it easy to remove it is going to be rotten and rusted under there anyway
.Leave the roof hatches or a least 1 those are nice for ventilation I removed mine and didn't even use roof airs worse mistake I made.
Did you ever find out what transmission you have yet, not trying to tell you what to do but I would get all the mechanical done first the 13 speed is not going to do much good with only 1/3 working.
 Don't rush into the conversion and plan the floor plan around all the floor hatches you are going to need those sooner or later trust me LOL
Freedom took good care of his Eagles but other previous owners and a church owning it I would check it real close before starting the conversion myself

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline demodriver

No I havent found out what transmission it has for sure yet. Some pictures have been posted on the other site. I am pertty sure that its not a 13 spd tho. Its a 5 spd with lo intermediate and high. The math dont add up to 13. Maybe Im missing something there.  I have a appointment with a shop to give it a overall inspection next weekend. the owner of the shop is a detriot nut and knows alot more about bus mechanics then I do.

As for the toilet: We plan on using the bus to go to a fund raiser for Rileys Children Hospital in Southern IN next month. If I could get away with using it for this trip it would make it more plesant of a stay. The church that I bought it off of had been using it last summer when they took the bus to canada. We are NOT planning on using it as a permanent fixture.

As for the AC: We plan on using the bus mostly to travel to southern arkansas to visit family.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
I live in Evansville Ind. Where you going for fund raiser? Mci8 tin tent is here also he is a hvac guy....   Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
Rosie up around Munci is a eagle guy.

Offline luvrbus

It is not the math Eric 5 in low 5 in the middle range and 3 on the high side I am still betting it is a older 13 speed let us know

good luck

Offline luvrbus

Bob, he has one of Mike Sodrel's Eagle's the congressman from Clarksville,man I wanted one of his model 15's when he sold those they looked new

good luck

Offline demodriver

I live in Evansville Ind. Where you going for fund raiser? Mci8 tin tent is here also he is a hvac guy....   Bob

The fund raiser is in Evansville. We are putting on a demilition derby. My wife and I are building a raffle car. The winner of the raffle will get to drive our derby car in the feature with a fresh car. You should come out and check it out. I believe its on the 15th next month at the fair grounds. Im hoping to have my eagle done enough to use it to pull the raffle car down.

Offline demodriver

Re: New guy looking for a little input on my conversion! Ongoing questions!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »
Rosie up around Munci is a eagle guy.

I some what know Rosie if its the same guy. I cant imagine theres to many Rosies around muncie. The one that I know is from my home town in Gaston.

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 07:39:34 PM »
Bob, he has one of Mike Sodrel's Eagle's the congressman from Clarksville,man I wanted one of his model 15's when he sold those they looked new

good luck

Yes Clifford Sodrell's "Free Enterprise" company takes or at least took very good care of those Eagles! I used to run into them all the time and was amazed at how well they were maintained!
;D  BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline demodriver

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 07:41:00 PM »
It is not the math Eric 5 in low 5 in the middle range and 3 on the high side I am still betting it is a older 13 speed let us know

good luck

Thats the part that I was missing. I will try to do some research and see if I can find some pics of the 13 spd trannys. I have drove mine about 100 miles so far like a 5 spd and it does pertty good like that but I know it cant be good on it and I have to be loosing some mpg.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 07:45:51 PM »
We do allot of work at 4-h center. Rosie drives for ups.  My cell is 812 449 8263.  Bob

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2011, 07:55:34 PM »
Very nice full hook up camp ground at 4-h center at Evansville   Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal