Author Topic: Death to all mice  (Read 11511 times)

Offline wal1809

Death to all mice
« on: May 01, 2011, 09:46:14 AM »
Amongst the other issues we discovered a mouse problem.  I am personally waging war against every mouse in the county.  I had to take out the pooper throne today because some mice decided to chomp on the water line.  When you hit the flusher lever water was shooting out the back of the commode.  As if I didn't have enough to do, this problem went straight to the top of the list.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline letz4wheel

Re: Death to all mice
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 10:54:25 AM »
mice are people too  ;D ;D
'78 MCI MC-8
4 speed
8v71

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
Yeah, I have a friend who has a Honda Fit.  Honda decided that it would be a good thing to make the insulation on the wires out of soybeans.  My friend has had to pay $6-700 twice to fix it.  She now has a bunch of "Bounce" dryer sheets and a rubber snake under the hool along with another snake (also rubber) on the ground under the front bumper.  No problems lately.  She hates mice.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline Oonrahnjay

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »
Whoops, duplicate.   Sorry.
Bruce H; Wallace (near Wilmington) NC
1976 Daimler (British) Double-Decker Bus; 34' long

(New Email -- brucebearnc@ (theGoogle gmail place) .com)

Offline mikewarmblood

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 11:38:43 AM »
I never had a mouse problem with my buses. When I worked at a school district as maintenance we had a mouse problem in one of the Bluebird Visions. The newest bus 2009 model it needed rewiring by the driver's side.  I guess mice loves the wiring in Bluebirds. 

Offline gus

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 03:19:54 PM »
I live in the sticks and can assure you rats are far worse.

Mice will eat almost any wiring insulation. I can't count the wires I've replaced for that reason.

"Bounce" dryer sheets  work. I used them in my 4104 about three years ago and haven't had a mouse since.

The very best method is to place traps at each wheel. I use two at each rear and one each at the fronts. Wheels are best because that is normally the entry point unless you happen to have some cords or hoses attached.

The thing you absolutely do not want to use is poison because they will crawl up into an inaccessible place and die. The smell is something you will never forget.
PD4107-152
PD4104-1274
Ash Flat, AR

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 03:48:25 PM »
I though you played with snakes. They don't like mice?   Couldn't resist ;D we do the bounce thing and also bait bars in hard to get to places. Had a large mouse get shorted out to ground from hot bat post to ground and drained battery once.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline boxcarOkie

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 03:51:13 PM »
mice are people too  ;D ;D

I sure hope Mickey & Minnie are not reading this!  What am I supposed to tell my grandchildren Wal?  Hey, don't rattlesnakes eat mice?  Problem solved.  But then again, having folks over might present a problem.

BCO

(we always leave a little D-con in ours when stored)

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »
I once solved a mouse problem by placing mint in all the draws and cupboards, so I was confident the next time that it would work.  I guess the new batch of mice did not mind mint.  We upgraded to dryer sheets+mint.  That did not work with these guys either.  Mouse/rat poison was next and, although it took some time, it did work.  Now I tend to leave some in a couple of places.  I do want to be sensitive though and not harm innocent creatures, so we leave a warning sign with it that says, "Poison! Do not eat!"  Look, if the mice want to live in America, they should learn English.  Am I right?
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline roadrunnertex

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 04:16:17 PM »
Our two black tom cats Sammy and Barney keep the mice and rats away from our 4905 GMC Buffalo that sits in it's bus barn.
One tom cat sleeps next to the bus on the Ford tractor seat and the other sleeps on the hood on the Ford Ranger.
So far we have not had a mice or rat problem and yes we live out in the country. ;D
jlv

Offline belfert

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 04:41:22 PM »
One year I used my bus in mid November and then parked it for the winter.  I forgot to take a tub of food out of the luggage bay.  Man did it stink in the spring!  Mice were attracted to the food.  I've not had mice trouble any other year.

I'm lucky not to have had any wiring damage from mice.  I have no idea how I would fix the large number of wires in my bus.
Brian Elfert - 1995 Dina Viaggio 1000 Series 60/B500 - 75% done but usable - Minneapolis, MN

Offline mikewarmblood

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »
Try rewiring a huge church organ that mice used for residence till i got it!!! had to midify it and computerise it.  I hate those little bastards.  I have a nice kitty that takes care of that problem ;D

artvonne

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 07:18:35 PM »
  I never hated mice, I always thought they were kinda cute. Then I made the mistake of leaving the fuse cover off a Mercedes I had. The electrical box was under the hood and used a big moisture proof sealed cover. With that cover off, mice were able to get under the fuse panel and crawl through the conduit into the car, chewing wiring as they went. Then they chewed up insulation and built nests inside the HVAC ducts. I do NOT love the smell of mouse crap in the morning.

I now hate meices to peices, but not so bad I like sticky traps. Thats just wrong.

One thing ive had good success with are iron cats and plain old everyday mouse traps with fresh cheese and peanut butter. As stated above you really dont want poison, the smell of rotting mice carcasses is something you truly wont soon forget.

The best thing is to keep them out in the first place. Caulk, cover or seal every gap and hole you can find, starting in the engine and axle bays, then cargo bays and stair well, door area. If they never get it, youll never have to deal with the lil bas, er, guys. 

Offline wal1809

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 07:01:31 AM »
Well it is too late on the poison.  If they stink then they are just goona have to stink.  They ate the hole dern box.  I can't let the rattlers out to get them but I do have chicken snakes.  I don't kill them because they are supposed to eat mice.  They best be getting to work!!!  I believe I am just going to poison the barn and leave poison out at all times.  Taking that commode out was a pain in the butt that I didn't need at the time.  It kind of threw my calander out of whack.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline Cary and Don

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:35:34 AM »
We parked next to a very pretty river in a meadow area in the Sierra Mountains one time.  We ran our satellite dish way out on the ground to get reception.  The next evening I saw a mouse walk across the floor.  We decided to move from this pretty area before we got another.

When we got home I set out my humane traps.  Sorry,  I'm an animal lover.  Didn't want him to eat the water lines, so I even supplied a dish of water. Caught five the first night.  Over the course of two weeks,  I caught 22.  Pinion mice are really cute.  Don't look anything like a regular mouse.  That one I saw must have brought her whole family and had another litter too boot.

We plugged that hole that the dish cable ran through.  And yes,  Don says I'm nuts.

Don and Cary
1973 05 Eagle
GMC 4107
Neoplan An340
1973 05 Eagle
Neoplan AN340

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal