Author Topic: Powertech 8kw genset install complete  (Read 1506 times)

Offline chuckd

Powertech 8kw genset install complete
« on: May 05, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
Have a few pics of the completed install of a Powertech 8kw genset, replacing a 12.5 kw Perkins/Kohler.  I wish I would have had a picture of the before, but I did not take one.  The Powertech inside the box, is probably 500 lbs or so lighter than the Kohler taken out.  Maybe more.  Mike Wells did the install, and he had to take out some really ugly foam rubber that had become impregnated with oil, really nasty stuff.  He put in 3 inches of foam acoustic insulation, and taped same.  The second shot is the DC and AC connections, with extra wires for the remote gauges.  The third picture is the empty space in the bay where the remote radiator was.  May use that space to hold propane tanks for a gas hot water cook top I may install.  Mike is a good source of used gen sets, his number is 218 556 7625, if interested in gen sets or installation of same.

Chuckd

Offline JohnEd

Re: Powertech 8kw genset install complete
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 06:21:57 PM »
Chuck,

Looks great....especially the 500 ponds that got lost,

Where is the "new" Radiator?  Is this the install where you plumb to the engine rad and install a single dc rad fan for when the engine is off?

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

Offline Gerry H

• 1992 Prevost LeMirage XL-40 8V92 740 Allison
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 05:11:09 AM »
Chuck: Looks Good, what town up north does Mike Wells live in? I'm in Forest Lake. Thanks Gerry H
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Land of 10,000 mosquitoes and a few cool buses

Offline zimtok

• Eddie Smith, the reason for having the bus
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 06:27:30 AM »
John,
I think I see the Radiator at the right end of the generator in the first photo....

Looks real good Chuck, is it quiet???

1960 PD4104-4971 - Memphis TN

Buy the new Eddie L Smith CD "STAYIN LONG" at:
http://www.eddielsmith.com
Everyone is welcome to any of our gigs listed on the website.

Offline JohnEd

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 07:30:22 AM »
Zim,

Thanks.  Now I see it, thanks.  I have talked to a couple professional converters....only in passing....about the use of the engine rad for cooling the gen.  Both thought it a superb idea due to the quietness and capacity of the big rad.  They thought that while parked the 12V rad fan only ran intermittently and was virtually silent.  The concerns I remember hearing from Knutz was that they feared a cooling system failure that would take out the engine.  I suppose the same concerns could be had for the "integrated front defroster and cabin otr heat".

John
"An uneducated vote is a treasonous act more damaging than any treachery of the battlefield.
The price of apathy towards public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato
“We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
—Pla

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal