Author Topic: front window shade  (Read 6842 times)

Offline wal1809

front window shade
« on: May 07, 2011, 04:03:58 PM »
Another busnut got me to thinking when he asked about temp curtains.  I have been tackling little jobs here and there and it is time to get this one done.  I am headed for training in Frisco, Texas in a couple of weeks and want to knock it out.  Yall have any pics of the front windshield shades-blinds-curtains.  Right now when we stop we have a roll of bubble wrap the PO used.  It works well but I just want a permanent curtain or something that is easier and folds out of the way.

When we were at the round up the band busses pulled in.  They were in Prevosts and were not very receptive to questions.  Don't know if that was a band thing or a Prevost thing. ;D  I could see they had one shade thqat reached from one side to the other, like pleated paper.  I have an Eagle and it is curved and just doesn't seem I could get coverage or make it look right.  Post up what you have or let me know if you would.  This will probably be my tomorrow project.
1984 Silver Eagle Model 10 6V92 Allison auto tranny
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
Re: front window shade
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 05:21:16 PM »
wal1809, Please don't judge all Prevost owners by a few LOL. For the front curtain, to get the material to shape into the fold we used velcro tabs. Stretch it out and then press it into the window and it stays put. Hope this helps, Will

Offline wal1809

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 05:29:11 PM »
I found curtain tracks at Ikea's websight.  The closest store is 50 or 60 miles from here.  I have been on hold with them for 30 minutes waiting to see if they have it in stock or not before I drive all the way over there, dang that is irritating.  On the website they have a single track that screws to the wall and for 5 bucks each they have the curved part for the corner.  So the whole track will be 20 dollars then the curtain we choose will be ???? If they ever answer the telephone!!!!
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline luvrbus

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 05:43:04 PM »
Go Wayne they will have several different types every Ikea I been in has those in stock, here is the place most RV dealers get the RV and marine stuff www.curtain-tracks.com I get some from there also

good luck
Life is short drink the good wine first

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 07:17:33 PM »
I am a poor prevost owner... I use two roman shades from Lowes close out table that meet in the center behind the center post. I tie the strings to small boat cleat type anchors on the window post when going down the road to make sure they don't fall down. By the way I can adjust down and they make nice sun visors.  10$ each on the close out table.  Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline Lin

• 1965 MC-5a
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
Let's see here.  On my first motorhome, we used shades as Robert described.  It worked fine.  On this bus and the one before, there were already tracks installed, but the curtains were way past their prime, so they were replaced.  If you do a search for RV windshield curtains, you will find them in the range of $100 or so.  Aside from wanting to save some money, I did not like those because of the thickness.  When we are on the road, I bunch the curtain up and tuck it into the valence rather than letting it hang down.  Therefore, I wanted something that was really easy to handle.  We bought some truck windshield curtains on Ebay that worked fine, and they were less than $30.  Curtains, of course, do not follow the angle of the windshield; they just hang down over the dash.

I would point out that using a windshield sunscreen as you are doing does not take anymore work than using curtains--maybe even less.  It is really as good an option as most from a practical standpoint.
You don't have to believe everything you think.

Offline wal1809

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 02:59:57 PM »
Thank you Lin.  I am under orders from headquarters on this deal.  We went to Ikea and saw what I thought was going to be the trick.  120 miles down the drain.  They just were not going to fit with the decor of the bus and they were going to be a real PITA to install.  We have begun a new trend of "Rustic Texas" inside.  We changed all the cabinet knobs to cast iron Texas Ranger stars and I don't mean the baseball team.  The floors, cabinets and trim is all done in oak.  So while at Ikea I talked my wife into scrapping the store bought made in Cnina stuff.  I am going to make a wrought iron curtain hanger that is afixed at three points.  The wrought rod will be welded to 3 cut outs the shape of Texas.  One Texas will be screwed to the wall by the door,  another Texas above and to the left of the driver's head and the third in the middle.  That way a pull from the left side to the middle and then the right side to the middle.  We bought some cheap material until we can buy two Navajo blankets that strike both of us.

I have to live with what I do for the rest of my days or at least the bus's days.  I don't want to do something that I really don't like and let it bother me.  I am one that obsesses when something I did isn't right.  I have found it is easier for me to do it the obsessive way the first time and get that out of the way. :D'

Now on another note.  If anyone is looking fo window dressings and have a more modern decor, Ikea has what you need.
www.snakebreaker.com

Offline PP

• Will & Wife
    • Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
Wayne, when you finally get the blankets or material that you like, I would recommend sewing a UV treated material on the outward facing side to protect it, especially if you go with the blankets or they will fade quickly. The wife sewed a UV treated silvery gray material to the outward side of ours and they have stood up great. From the outside you can't see through at night either with lights on thanks to the extra material. FWIW, good luck, Will

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »
Sounds like a great fit and I agree with the lining to protect your bright colors for years. Enjoy and I hope to see it some  time.  Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline wal1809

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 05:54:55 PM »
You know I didn't even think about the uv liner.  Thank you fellas yall probably saved me from a redo.  The Navajo blankets are probably not cheap.
www.snakebreaker.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal