Author Topic: Road trip suggestions  (Read 4997 times)

Offline bottomacher

Road trip suggestions
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:26:27 PM »
With the price of fuel heading ever north and my wife's work schedule, I'm looking for ideas for one-tank-of-fuel trips; long weekends, local (ish) points of interest, other excuses to drive the bus and not let it languish in  the yard. Do any of you all have suggestions for places of interest within about 250 miles of Atlanta? Savannah, of course, but there must be many others. Any help would be very welcome.

Offline boxcarOkie

Re: Road trip suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 04:22:58 AM »
Some states (I don't know about GA) put out pamphlets called "Trips On A Tankful" and usually contain items and or area's of interest within the confines of the local areas of that state.  Another source might be your local news station?  All you have to do is drop them a line (state agency of tourism usually) and they will send you a book on going's on, festivals, local traditions.  Almost every state does this.  Things to do in your particular area.

Thus the name ... Trips on a tankful.

Figure out the approximate fuel mileage of your coach, then you have your area, find an Atlas draw a circle and there is your starting point.  You figure it out.  Not someone else.  Think of the satisfaction you will have when you make your first visit to a place YOU wanted to see.

BCO

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 05:47:13 AM »
Choo-Choo   Nashville    Great Smokey Mountains    the Atlantic Ocean depends on your family likes and dislikes  some would consider Iron Mountian a prime trip in your area.
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline white-eagle

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 05:52:26 AM »
i'd start out by going to John and Lois's place over by Augusta.  Nice folks to visit, John has a great background, nice backyard with hookups.  Good place to sit on the front porch and chew the fat.
You also need to decide if you can boondock or need a hook-up for overnight.  if you need to hookup, then that circle bco suggested needs to include campgrounds (or other busnuts with hookups  :) ).  
i like some civil war history and there's lookout mountain, and the battlefields around chatanooga.  Some time on the Gulf Shore might be nice, so head to Savannah.  My map says there are at least 22 campgrounds within 50 miles of Atlanta.  Visit one each weekend.
Tom
1991 Eagle 15 and proud of it.
8V92T, 740, Fulltime working on the road.

Fran was called to a higher duty 12/16/13. I lost my life navigator.

Offline babell2

• Brice
    • My bus Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 06:22:16 AM »
and there's lookout mountain, and the battlefields around chatanooga.  

I drove to the top of Lookout Mountain years ago with a 26' GMC motorhome.  I couldn't imagine going up there with a 40' coach.  Park and tram to the top if you go.
1980 MCI-9 "The Last Resort" Located just south of Atlanta GA.
Just starting conversion. A long way to go!
The other Brice

Offline rgrauto

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:32:03 AM »
We live in northeast Ga. and some places we visit are the Bavarian theme town Helen Ga. during Octoberfest but fun to go anytime,with places to camp locally.  Hiawassee Ga. with  the Ga. Mountain Fair and the Anderson Music Hall with artists like George Jones, Ray Stevens,etc, just check and see who is playing when you want to go. Also there is beautiful lake Chatuge in Hiawassee and several campgrounds local, we camp at beautiful Bald Mountain Campground on Fodder Creek Road ,great people that own the campground and easy pull through sites and some with shade. Blairesville Ga. has the Sorgum Festival in the fall  and  Dahlonega has the Moonshine Festival ,I think the fall but you may need to check dates. Lots of things to see and do in northeast Ga. If I can be of help just give me ring, Glen & Patsy Rice, Demorest Ga.

Offline bottomacher

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 05:42:29 AM »
Thank you all for the great replies. We normally travel only in the fall and spring because of the heat, snow, and crowds. I try to avoid serious mountains since I don't have a jake brake. Northeast GA is great, but we figure there must be somewhere in the lower part of the state that is a guarded secret. Street rod shows, wineries, working farms and mills, scenic picnic areas with campgrounds are high on the list. I prefer boondocking, but we'll go anywhere. We'll consider your suggestions well.

Offline Mike in GA

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 07:16:32 AM »
For southeast GA I would recommend the Okefenokee NWR, not far from Waycross. The SEBN have their annual Halloween Rally near there (in Hoboken GA) and several of us have taken tours, canoe trips, etc.
   If you venture due east, after visiting the esteemed Mr Vickrey, venture further SE (via US 25 through Statesboro) and hit either Hilton Head and their gorgeous (but expensive) Outdoor Resorts Motorcoach Resort, or River's End Campground in Tybee Island, just past Savannah.
   The former is one short mile from the beach, and the latter is about two blocks from the famous lighthouse and beach.
HTH.
Mike in GA
Past President, Southeast Bus Nuts. Busin' for almost 20 years in a 1985 MC 96a3 with DD 8v92 and a 5 speed Allison c/r.

Offline bottomacher

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 05:32:08 AM »
Thanks, Mike. EWe're heading to Savannah next month (by car) and Tybee on the return. I'll check the campground while we're there. I haven't seen the Okefeneokee in 50 years; I expect I won't recognize the place.

Offline robertglines1

• steam nut
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 05:52:06 AM »
Late August we have a rod show here(Frog Follies) pre 49  over 4000 cars. I work it. stay at our house 30 or 50 amp hook up 6 1/2 hrs from Atlanta  Evansville Indiana  Would be pushing a tank full but close.  Fri sat & sunday.  Mci8 tin tent works it also.    Bob
Bob@Judy  98 XLE prevost with 3 slides --Home done---last one! SW INdiana

Offline rampeyboy

• 1954 Scenicruiser PD4501-227
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 06:01:12 AM »
Not sure how far you are from it, but I loved the Warner Robins air museum..gotta be an airplane nerd like me though!

Boyce
Boyce Rampey
Columbia, SC
Scenicruiser 227

artvonne

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 06:10:50 AM »
  Remembering that you dont have to top off the tank when you get home, and that theres no law saying you cant buy some fuel, your range is as variable as your pocket allows.

Some places I can think of are the blue ridge parkway, Washington and the Smithsonian, The Outer Banks and KittyHawk, etc.. And I would be surprised if every state doesnt have places of interest up on the Net where it can be easily found. Also dont forget Rand McNally Atlas has many points of interest, state and national parks, interesting natural features etc..

Have fun!

Offline uncle ned

• Visit: Busconversionstuff.com
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 01:01:12 PM »

Don't miss the Okefenokee swamp camp ground. It is a beautiful place.

We always stay there on our way back from Jacks' rally. The pull trough's seem so private you are beside the road but cannot see the cars passing.

When we were there the hawks were in abundances and beautiful

uncle Ned
4104's forever
6v92 v730
Huggy Bear

Offline happycamperbrat

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
might be a little more than a tank....... but you could always come here  ;D ;D ;D
The Little GTO is a 102" wide and 40' long 1983 GMC RTS II and my name is Teresa in case I forgot to sign my post

Offline mugsytrpt

• 1981 MCI MC9
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 02:02:59 PM »
You could come to Moultrie Ga to the car shows, Calicho (which is arts and crafts), or the Expo (everthing AG).  All of these events are held at Spence Field which is an old Military air strip.  If you head this way let me know.  We will get together for a Ga Coke.  If yoyu are interested let me know and I will get you dates.

Take care.
1981 TMC MCI9 Converted
Purchased April 2010
Located in South Georgia
New genset April 2013

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal