Author Topic: Greetings from the New Guy  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Slow Rider

Greetings from the New Guy
« on: September 24, 2006, 08:18:01 PM »
Hello everyone.  I apologize in advance for the length of this post.  I have been lurking for a bit on the site and learning more than I imagined.  Pushing 50 ( next month) I am late to the entire RV world. 

This past Christmas was my fathers last.  It was very important to me to have him and my mother spend this holiday with as much of the family as possible.  They lived 800 miles away and could not make the trip in a car for health reasons.  I rented my first RV, a 28 foot class C. 

It was absolutely the best decision.  They were able to travel in comfort and it was a happy memory.  I drove to pick them up by myself and returned with just the three of us.  The trip to take them home I was able to take my daughter-in-law and two granddaughters.  The original drive to their house and back was a non-stop affair. Once we dropped them off, we were able to make the trip more leisurely and spend the night in an RV park just outside of DollyWood.  My granddaughters are still talking about this trip.   

I have definitely been bitten by the bug.  I started researching sticks and staples machines specifically looking for a class A motor home.  Until I found Bus Nuts and Bus Conversions.  I am now looking hard at the 4104 and 4106 lines. 

I ask for your indulgence for the typical newbie questions and thank you in advance for your help.  I am looking forward to eventually attending a “gathering” and meeting you and seeing your buses. 

Frank
The MCI has landed..... We are home.
Dale City Va.  Just a southern suburb of DC
Yes I am a BUSNUT
1976 MCI MC8

Offline DrivingMissLazy

Re: Greetings from the New Guy
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2006, 08:22:32 PM »
Welcome aboard Frank. Ask away and I can assure you will get some answers.
Richard
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a good Reisling in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming:  WOO HOO, what a ride

Offline grantgoold

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2006, 08:28:17 PM »
Welcome Frank, I too had a stick and staple once. Sure glad I have a bus now. One big wind and I swore I would never put my kids or eventually grandkids in another SS unit. Good luck in the hunt. You may want to get a bus sooner than later as diesel fuel costs drop so does the interest in selling a bus.

Glad to have you and this is a disease without a cure!

Grant
Grant Goold
1984 MCI 9
Way in Over My Head!
Citrus Heights, California

Offline Busted Knuckle

• 6 Setras, 2 MCIs, and 1 Dina. Just buses ;D
    • KY Lakeside Travel ... Just 4 the Fun of it!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2006, 08:39:02 PM »
Welcome aboard and hope you have patients (because sometimes us busnuts are......... well....., just NUTS) LOL! BK  ;D
Busted Knuckle aka Bryce Gaston
KY Lakeside Travel's Busted Knuckle Garage
Huntingdon, TN 12 minutes N of I-40 @ exit 108
www.kylakesidetravel.net

;D Keep SMILING it makes people wonder what yer up to! ;D (at least thats what momma always told me! ;D)

Offline niles500

• Niles500
  • ROSIE
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2006, 09:02:59 PM »
Was just talking about this one - "appears" mechanically well cared for - just needs an updated interior - HTH

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-Bus-Conversion-1954_W0QQitemZ130030876208QQihZ003QQcategoryZ6728QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")  

- Niles

Offline TomC

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 10:18:05 PM »
Man niles500- heck the equipment in the bus with the Diesel gen is worth the nearly $10,000 he's asking for it.  I really looks straight.  I would personally look at this bus if I were in the market.  Slow Rider-there it is!!! Good Luck, TomC
Tom & Donna Christman. 1985 Kenworth 40ft Super C with garage. '77 AMGeneral 10240B; 8V-71TATAIC V730.

Offline Nick Badame Refrig/ACC

• 1989, MCI 102C3, 8V92T, HT740, 06' conversion FMCA# F-27317-S "Wife- 1969 Italian/German Style"
  • Global Moderator
  • Nick & Michelle Badame
    • Nick Badame Refrigeration LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2006, 03:28:33 AM »
Welcome Frank,

Good Luck with your search!

Our members are the best source, for learning about the in's and out's on busses!

I'm sure you'll find that 4104.......

Nick Badame
Whatever it takes!-GITIT DONE! 
Commercial Refrigeration- Ice machines- Heating & Air/ Atlantic Custom Coach Inc.
Master Mason- Cannon Lodge #104
https://www.facebook.com/atlanticcustomcoach
www.atlanticcustomcoach.com

Offline FloridaCliff

• "The Mighty GMC"
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2006, 04:15:34 AM »
Frank,

Welcome Aboard....

Many of  us also have worked are way up the RV food chain.

As you have seen from your lurking, this is a great bunch of folks, who will give you all the help and opinions  :P that you want or

need.

Enjoy your search for YOUR little 40' or 35' bundle of joy.

The RV's and Bus I have owned have been some of the best money I ever spent for my family.

I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Cliff
1975 GMC  P8M4905A-1160    North Central Florida

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."
Mark Twain

Ncbob

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2006, 04:35:19 AM »
Hi Frank, Let me also add my welcome to the chorus.  It hasn't been that long since I was a 'wannabe' and in short order a 'newbie',
but all the folks on this Board have made me welcome and the help I received was the best and right on the money.

Good luck on your search and please let us know when you've found your dream machine. And then join the rest of us for "The Journey" and excitement and downright hard work of converting.

And, please, don't forget the pics....we all thrive on them!

NCbob

Offline Paso One

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2006, 04:34:51 PM »
Welcome aboard Frank  good choice for a start 4104 or 4106 is better than any stick and staple $ for $
68 5303 Fishbowl 40'x102" 6V92 V730 PS, Air shift  4:10 rear axle. ( all added )
1973 MC-5B 8V71 4 speed manual
1970 MC-5A  8V71 4 speed manual
1988 MCI 102 A3 8V92T  4 speed manual (mechanical)
1996 MCI 102 D3 C10  Cat engine 7 speed manual  (destined to be a tiny home )

Dallas

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2006, 05:44:02 PM »
Welcome Frank!

You are among friends that are probably less knowledgeable than you in some areas and more knowledgeable in others.
Everyone of us on this board has something to contribute and I, for one, am amazed at the awsome wealth of information and intelligence available here.
Everyday I learn something from someone here. I'm sure that you will too.

And on a lighter note,

Keep looking for a 4104 or a 4106 or any other GMC, because on a not particularly quiet night you can hear Eagles and MCI's RUST! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) :D ;)

Offline NewbeeMC9

• NewbeeMC9
  • 1981 MC9 8V71, HT 740
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 06:49:51 PM »
Welcome to fun and/or well, a fancy doghouse,  and/or a place to go if the power goes out, or a comfortable way to travel.

Get the Mag if you haven't already, it's the bright spot in you month and we all could use that. (it supports this board too but thats just the icing)

Good luck

8)

It's all fun and games til someone gets hurt. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal